Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Rares95 View Post
    People that don't have the issue didn't use an external HDD. The problem shows up there all the time
    Yup. It's not that the left-side ports don't work or aren't recognized as 3.0. It's just that when you actually use them at 3.0 speeds, they fail. Even with Asus drivers. This is similar behavior to USB 3.0 ports driven by their ASMedia controller on other products, like some of their motherboards.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array Gps3dx PC Specs
    Gps3dx PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Current: G751JT | Retired: G55VW, G51JX
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Storage #1Samsungs EVO 850 128GB
    Storage #21TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 (HTS721010A9E630)
    CPU CoolerMother Nature & Thermodynamics laws
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Headset/Speakers Logitech T6060
    OS Cleaned installed Windows 10 HOME x64
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

---- UPDATE - SUCCESS !!!! -------------------
    EDIT: It has nothing to do with U1/U2 as I reported !!!!

Because I wasn't sure I was running the test on usb 3.0 for sure - I've reinstalled some drivers as follows:
    Basically I followed this guide but I used the latest intel xHCI driver for win 7 x64 ( yes on my win 8.1 x64 ! )

G751 Win 8/8.1 x64 Guide:
    HOW TO GET THE USB PORTS & HUBS TO RUN @USB 3.0 SUPERSPEED,
    WITH NO HANG-UPS DURING FILE TRANSFER!!!
    1. download latest Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver ( version 1.0.10.255 ) and extract it
    2. download the following zip (iusb3xhc + iusb3hub.zip) which contains "iusb3hub.inf"+"iusb3xhc.inf",
    and replace them in the extracted dir in side "\Drivers\Win7\x64"
    2. goto Device manager and force install intel's drive onto "usb xHCI compliant Host Controller"
    3. Force install "USB root HUB (xHCI)" from the modded intel drivers
    4. reboot and watch HWinfo64 report that the right and left ports works as USB 3.0 for compatible devices,
    withOUT any hangs-up whatsoever
    5. after reboot, the device manager should look like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	after_install_intel.jpg 
Views:	631 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	50225
    6. if you got any external USB 3.0 HUBS (like this) then you should FORCE INSTALL "USB root HUB (xHCI)" onto his appropriate "usb 3.0 hub" in the device manager.
    I can confirm that externals usb 3.0 HUB also works without any problem, ( working as usb 3.0 not 2.0 of course ! )
    Here's a proof:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USB_HUB_WORKS2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	208.6 KB 
ID:	50226

After i've done all the thing above - i've Checked the USB transfer on the machine - both sides and I managed to transfer a 22GB single file to the external HDD withOUT any hang-out/freezes/problems - @80-110MB/s write speed (see photo) !!!!
    ----------------------------------------------
    * I have G751JT with win 8.1 x64 updated with any windows update till 30/6/15
    * I have a mouse connect in the left port, a HUB in the right, and the external USB 3.0 HDD connected at the right&left while I've done testing.
    ----------------------------------------------
    PLEASE TEST AND REPORT IF YOU GOT SUCCESS AS WELL !!!!
    Attachment 50208
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos USB3_success.jpg  

ROG Enthusiast Array

Thanks Gps3dx, I look forward to someone confirm this

ROG Member Array

I'm not sure if this will help anyone but I have a new G751JL running Windows. I believe I have all the latest drivers (except the touchpad driver) installed and BIOS version is 202. I have not noticed any USB problems but after reading this thread, I wanted to make sure. I have a WD Elements 1TB external USB drive, I copied a 10 GB iso file from the drive to the computer, without any issues. I tried it a few times using both ports on the left, no problems noted.

Gps3dx PC Specs
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

Quote Originally Posted by eowens View Post
    I'm not sure if this will help anyone but I have a new G751JL running Windows. I believe I have all the latest drivers (except the touchpad driver) installed and BIOS version is 202. I have not noticed any USB problems but after reading this thread, I wanted to make sure. I have a WD Elements 1TB external USB drive, I copied a 10 GB iso file from the drive to the computer, without any issues. I tried it a few times using both ports on the left, no problems noted.
    @eowens - are you sure it isn't an illusion that caused by working on usb 2.0 transfer mode ?
    Can you please confirm that your ext HDD is indeed running @usb 3.0 transfer mode ?
    you can do that with HWinfo64:
    check under BUS->PCI bus->...usb 3.0 xHCI->USB ROOT HUB->#YOUR USB MASS STORAGE#
    what is the "USB DEVICE SPEED" ?

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

@Gps3dx.
    Not working in my case, maybe the hacked inf files are not matching the driver 1.0.10.255 version...
    After forcing the installation of Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller ... it is always not activated due to error 10... So it never goes to the stage with unknown device to force also Intel USB 3.0 Root Hub instalation.

However, I have cleansed/deleted all the USB devices forcing also to delete drivers' files... and after all devices returned to the default versions I still have problems with LEFT BOTTOM usb 3.0 port (my usbo 3.0 pen drive keeps reconnecting) BUT my LEFT TOP USB 3.0 port is working OK NOW!
    So at least I have only one port with issues now... not 2 as before.

P.S. I never had problems with RIGHT ports...
    Last edited by Sanctrum; 07-02-2015 at 09:12 PM.

Gps3dx PC Specs
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

Hi Sanctrum,
    Thanks for the feedback.

I think the failure to install the drivers has something to do with the driver signature protection - I've updated the INF files with the right version&release date information - then, while I tried to update the driver ( although I had it already running in my system, just without the right information ) the install process wrote that it had a driver signature problem....
    If you don't know what i'm talking about - READ HERE, reboot into windows WITHOUT "driver signature enforcement", then try to install the intel v1.0.10.255 driver I mentioned with the modded INF files ( i'll update my post with the updated INF files for the v1.0.10.255 release )

Pay also attention for the device you're trying to update - in the guide I wrote about the "usb xHCI compliant Host Controller" + "usb 3.0 hub" that should be updated with the modded intel drivers. any other devices within the USB device tree shouldn't be touched, unleses you've got additional external usb 3.0 HUB as I mentioned ( which also appears as "usb 3.0 hub" )

About what you said in the end:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanctrum
    P.S. I never had problems with RIGHT ports...
    I believe it is because the usb 3.0 device that you've used ( in fact all of them ) ran on USB 2.0 high-speed and not usb 3.0 super-speed - which of course is the xHCI usb 3.0 controller's driver fault ( and ASUS of course )

@Gps3dx
    Everything I described was done WITHOUT the "driver signature enforcement" exactly as described by Uncle Google, as if the opposite I wouldn’t be able to install Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver ( version 1.0.10.255 )... But it get installed, but hardware remains inactive due to error 10... as I had written above as I used modified INF for the older version of the driver...

However this late night, I will try again with yours INF files. Thank you

@Gps3dx
    No change - "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

Gps3dx PC Specs
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

@Sanctrum -
    1. i'm sure you're past that - but I must ask for the record.. Have you got that error also after restart ?
    after each install of the xHCI controller - reboot must be made.
    2. For the xHCI controller are you sure your using iusb3xhc.inf ( not iusb3hub.inf ) only the PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C31 device ?
    in fact, when I made the install, I pointed the installer to the main dir that both of these inf sits, then got a list, fro which I choose "usb xHCI compliant Host Controller".
    For the USB 3.0 hub (aka "IUSB3\ROOT_HUB30&VID_8086&PID_8C31"), i've choose "Intel(R) USB 3.0 Root Hub".
    That is all the change that is necessary, all the other "devices" appears under the USB tree are automatically installing by the OS ( after a restart )
    3. Are you working on win 8.1 x64 updated till the end ?
    4. not sure, but this might happens: look at your A/V ( internet security program ), see the quarantine, any file from the install dir is there ?
    ( I use comodo - no false positive at all )
    5. are the properties of the files in the install dir ( especially under "<extracted dir>\Drivers\Win7\x64") are in a "blocked" state ? ( properties-> unblocked appears ? if so - unblock it ).
    6. Have you tried to install the drivers in safe mode ?
    7. have you tried to install while been log-in the "administator" account ?
    you can enable it in CMD with privileges by typing "net user administrator /active:yes"
    to disable it: "net user administrator /active:no"

waiting for an update from you... Have patience, that is the only virtue against MS OSs these days, and jackhammer :-)

Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast