Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro

So it goes back even further than the G75. I remember a couple of years ago, WD Passport etc had a firmware issue with USB 3.0 you might want to check on the WD site.
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Gps3dx View Post
    Hi eDrinker,
    I think that this "device failed enumeration" issue is an addition "line" in the device manager that being added after manually installing the INTEL XHCI driver package.
    Not sure it is being added right away, or after some type of windows update... but is does show up.

I'm not 100% sure, but for a LONG TIME I suspect that it has something to do with window's BCD file being changed/curropy in some mysterious way.
    cut story short, I have reinstalled current bios (same version by using the /nodate switch ) and that made it gone ( until some other big update showed up, or that i've completely reinstalled the INTEL XHCI driver etc... )

give it a try - it can't hurt.

NOTE: the fact that "device failed enumeration" exist in your device manager does hurt anything... it is an ADDED component ( again, don't know why ), but NOTHING is missing in term of USB 3.0 support/drivers.

EDIT: just for the record... here's another reference for that issue that i've posted before.
    As I reported, this issue might come up also if you install Asus's "AI Suite III" package. ( I publish in my usb 3.0 guide an experimental way to get UASP working on G751 serie using that package ).
    Hi Gps3dx,

I flashed the bios /nodate with version BIOS 211 from https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...713#post538713

Didn't work.

As a final try I want to download AI Suite III but I can't find the download anywhere. I did find one one here http://en.freedownloadmanager.org/Wi...te-3-FREE.html but after unzipping it wouldn't install even with admin rights.

Oz

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array Gps3dx PC Specs
    Gps3dx PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Current: G751JT | Retired: G55VW, G51JX
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Storage #1Samsungs EVO 850 128GB
    Storage #21TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 (HTS721010A9E630)
    CPU CoolerMother Nature & Thermodynamics laws
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Headset/Speakers Logitech T6060
    OS Cleaned installed Windows 10 HOME x64
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

Quote Originally Posted by eDrinker View Post
    Hi Gps3dx,

I flashed the bios /nodate with version BIOS 211 from https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...713#post538713

Didn't work.
    Please Don't get me wrong... you DO NOT need to install AI Suite III as this is NOT the solution to your "additional device manager unknown ID" issue.
    I publish in my guide about "AI Suite III" as an EXPERIMENTAL way to get UASP on the G751 serie. (it's only working partially, i.e with some USB 3.0 devices)

Quote Originally Posted by eDrinker View Post
    As a final try I want to download AI Suite III but I can't find the download anywhere. I did find one one here http://en.freedownloadmanager.org/Wi...te-3-FREE.html but after unzipping it wouldn't install even with admin rights.
    Have read all my guide about the usb 3.0 issue & tweaks ?
    Please look at the 2nd guide -> step #3 HERE

ROG Enthusiast Array

I have a G752VS and if during the night I close the lid the laptop going into hibernate mode and I leave a usb stick plugged in ... the next morning if I unplugged it is very hot.
    Isn't it suppose to go in a sleep mode or something ? Why is it hot ?

Update 1: I've noticed that this happens only when I let the stick plugged into the right side usb ports. In left side usb ports is cold.*

Update 2: It seems this issue to occur when power cable is plugged in and power cable connector is also on the right side. If there is no power cable connected the usb stick is barely warm.
    Is there an issue with the circuitry from power connector and right usb ports ?

Update 3: I've noticed that only on the right side the second usb port from top to bottom is where the usb flash is getting hot. If I plug it in the first port from top to bottom is cold or barely warm.

Another issue is that from time to time the usb stick is disconnecting and reconnecting back. Ding-dong every 10-15 minutes. No matter if is plugged into left or right usb ports.
    Even tho the mouse and keyboard (both razer) are connected to usb ports and an external 3.5hdd and no issue with disconnecting. Only with usb flash drives.
    Last edited by simi_id; 01-22-2017 at 02:54 AM.

New ROGer Array

First, I want to say THANK YOU for bringing this up and for Gps3dx's detailed guide.

I've been struggling understanding WHY my external drive would just hang up mid transfer on 3.0, but work perfectly fine on 2.0, and this is the only thread I could find with an alternative/custom drivers approach, the general solution usually being to tweak the power management of USB.

I have the ROG GL552VW (BB71-CB to be precise) on Windows 10 x64 Familly edition, with vers.300 for the BIOS. It has two 3.0 and one 3.1 port on the left, none works with the external drive. The drive is the stock 1TB hdd that came with the laptop (ST1000LM 024 HN-M101MBB SCSI, by Seagate I believe), placed in a StarTech enclosure w/UASP (UNI251BMU33). Following you're guide, I went to the win-raid forum, and went to the Intel USB 3.0/3.1 Driver section, b) Latest modded Intel USB 3.0/3.1 drivers. The drivers were last updated on 27/01/2017 and they now have a Driverpacks for the automatic installation via DPInst option, which made things sooooo simple.

0) Create a restore point
    1) Run the CMD file as Admin for the certificate
    2) Run the DPInst.ex. as Admin
    3) Reboot when finished
    and voilà, everything works and the drivers looks like the ones in your screenshot.

The hard drive now has a steady 101 Mbytes/s Up and Down (tho turning off indexation for the drive gives me a wooping 2Gbytes/sec, for the first 2Gb lel) using mp4 files from 60MB to 1,2GB or 101/140 MB/s Up and Down with 2 000 Word files (1,3GB).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now, the AI Suite 3 tweak. I had to install it manually, so I didn't have the choice between BOOST mode and UASP mode (dunno how to set that manually). In the end, no change to the drive speed. I did see a change with my USB 3.0 thumb drive, only problem is I only tested after installing the modded driver AND updating the thumb drive with Asus Boost, so can't be sure if it actually does anything.

Sandisk Ultra Flair USB 3.0 32GB (SDCZ73)
    Before: 70MB/s write to, 90MB/s read from. The drives heats up rapidly after 1 GB and write speeds drop to 20MB/s. Read speed is fine.
    After: 101MB/s write, 140 MB/s read. The drives heats up rapidly after 1 GB and write speeds drop to 20MB/s. Read speed is fine.
    (using mp4 files from 60MB to 1,2GB)
    Last edited by Takeishi; 02-02-2017 at 05:16 PM.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array Gps3dx PC Specs
    Gps3dx PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Current: G751JT | Retired: G55VW, G51JX
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Storage #1Samsungs EVO 850 128GB
    Storage #21TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 (HTS721010A9E630)
    CPU CoolerMother Nature & Thermodynamics laws
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Headset/Speakers Logitech T6060
    OS Cleaned installed Windows 10 HOME x64
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

Quote Originally Posted by Takeishi View Post
    First, I want to say THANK YOU for bringing this up and for Gps3dx's detailed guide.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now, the AI Suite 3 tweak...
    Glad to see that my guide help other G serie members as well... good to know.

About AI Suite 3, it is highly experimental, since it wasn't really suppose to work on Asus G serie and even its hole laptop series AFAIK.
    when you install AI Suite 3 ( the UASP driver aka "USB 30.0 boost", and ONLY THIS, since other parts of the main installer can cause not very nice behavior, many force-close etc.. ) you get a GUI with it as well.
    I know that 1st time you launch, it might not show the GUI up, although it runs in the background... just kill it using the task manager and run it again ( as admin always recommended ).
    Then, connect your USB, let windows recognize it as it normaly does, then It should show up in the AI suite's USBboost GUI - and on the right, you can toggle between regular driver and its own UASP supported drivers ( see screenshot here ).

Lastly, as I wrote in the guide, tha usb 3.0 boost driver doesn't enhance ALL usb 3.0 devices... so it's really difficult to say who can benefits from it.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Just a note. I have also installed the latest modded Intel USB 3.0/3.1 drivers (27/01/2017) via DPInst.
    Haven't tested them yet with all my USB 3.0 drives/pens (transfers and stability) but at least I have not noticed any drawbacks so far.
    I will report later.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Takeishi View Post

I've been struggling understanding WHY my external drive would just hang up mid transfer on 3.0, but work perfectly fine on 2.0, and this is the only thread I could find with an alternative/custom drivers approach, the general solution usually being to tweak the power management of USB.

I have the ROG GL552VW (BB71-CB to be precise) on Windows 10 x64 Familly edition, with vers.300 for the BIOS. It has two 3.0 and one 3.1 port on the left, none works with the external drive. The drive is the stock 1TB hdd that came with the laptop (ST1000LM 024 HN-M101MBB SCSI, by Seagate I believe), placed in a StarTech enclosure w/UASP (UNI251BMU33). Following you're guide, I went to the win-raid forum, and went to the Intel USB 3.0/3.1 Driver section, b) Latest modded Intel USB 3.0/3.1 drivers. The drivers were last updated on 27/01/2017 and they now have a Driverpacks for the automatic installation via DPInst option, which made things sooooo simple.

0) Create a restore point
    1) Run the CMD file as Admin for the certificate
    2) Run the DPInst.ex. as Admin
    3) Reboot when finished
    and voilà, everything works and the drivers looks like the ones in your screenshot.
    Hi,

I too must say a thank, because this workaround worked also for the left USB 3 ports of my G752VS !

The USB 3 external hard drive is now recognized and fonctional on the left USB's.

I used the "NEW: Driverpacks for the automatic installation via DPInst" under the Intel driver download link http://www.win-raid.com/t834f25-USB-...nd-modded.html.
    Last edited by Aghoithae; 02-06-2017 at 04:58 PM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Sanctrum View Post
    Just a note. I have also installed the latest modded Intel USB 3.0/3.1 drivers (27/01/2017) via DPInst.
    Haven't tested them yet with all my USB 3.0 drives/pens (transfers and stability) but at least I have not noticed any drawbacks so far.
    I will report later.
    The result for me is no change - still the left bottom USB port keeps disconnecting/reconnecting my Corsair Flash Voyager 16GB USB 3.0 pendrive at random moments... even during inactivity.
    Other 3 ports are OK. Looks like it is hardware.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hi, So I finally got to fixing the USB 3.0 Problem after avoiding ti for 2 years, But I'm facing now.
    Thank you for posting this guide BTW. Its very informational.
    Some Info:
    G751JY-Win10x64.

Reason for doing it: I have a 1TB WD Elements(3.0). It works completely fine on my Assembled desktop, but only 2 port on my ROG is able to detect it. The right-side ones. Also it's more of hit and miss, sometimes I have to unplug and replug a few times before its detected. The ports on the left-side don't detect it at all.

So followed your guide and somehow it's worse now. The transfer speeds are down to 30MB/s (RAR file). And the hit and miss case has become worse.

I don't have any other external HDD's to test, but i remember once I connected a friend's Transcend HDD and had the same issue.

Thumbdrives/pendrives have no issues at all, they work fine on all ports. but the ones i have they are all 2.0 if I'm not wrong.

Any idea what's wrong with the ports and/or my WD elements?
    Last edited by bhaviljain68; 02-14-2017 at 07:30 AM.

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 LastLast