cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Secure Erase on Samsung XP941?

Synomenon
Level 7
Has anyone been brave enough to try using the ROG Secure Erase (secure erase utility built into the UEFI of more recent ROG boards) on a Samsung XP941?

I've read that some secure erase utilities brick the XP941.
10 REPLIES 10

Synomenon
Level 7
I guess no one rich enough here to try possibly bricking their XP941. 😛

Synomenon
Level 7
Bump...

Synomenon
Level 7
Bump...

Quad5Ny
Level 7
Secure Erase is a ATA command. As long as Asus is doing SE correctly I don't see why anything would be bricked.

Correctly would be unlocking the drive, setting the security password, sending the SE command+waiting for it to finish and then verifing the security password has been automatically unset. Doing a secure erase without a password can brick drives.

Synomenon
Level 7
Parted Magic was reported to have bricked XP941s. I haven't seen anyone try using the ROG secure erase on a XP941 yet.

Quad5Ny
Level 7
Samsung does have a secure erase utility that you can copy to a CD or USB drive using the Samsung Magician software. The only problem with this is that on normal SATA drives you have to boot with the SATA interface disconnected and then hotplug the drive to make sure the UEFI does not lock the drive the drive. I'm not sure how you would do that with PCIe based storage.

What I would do is; Find a Linux live distro with the hdparm utility built in, Unplug all other drives in your system, Boot the distro, Put the computer to sleep, Wake it up and then run hdparm secure erase - Full details here: https://tinyapps.org/docs/wipe_drives_hdparm.html

Synomenon
Level 7
I have other secure erase utilities. The point of this thread was to see if the built-in ROG secure erase would work with the XP941 (without bricking it).

Quad5Ny
Level 7
Like I said before, there is really only one way to do secure erase correctly. But let me elaborate on that; There is only one way to do secure erase correctly AND Asus would not have put the feature in the BIOS if they were afraid thousands of users were going to brick drives.

Have you ever seen how small Asus's QVL lists are. The lists are for hardware they have personally tested. For example there is probably no PNY RAM on the Memory Compatibility List but does that mean it won't work?

I would personally use it the secure erase feature in the UEFI with every drive I own without worrying about bricking them (unless there is evidence that says otherwise).

Disclaimer: these are just my opinions, if you brick your drive please don't blame me. 😮

Synomenon
Level 7
Well, I guess this whole conversation was for nothing. I tried launching ROG Secure Erase today and it doesn't even see my XP941. It only sees the drives connected to the SATA ports.