cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound card breaks SLI

ProjectAngel
Level 7
I have a Xonar Phoebus that I am trying to install alongside two GTX 780s on a Maximus Extreme VI board.

All of the cards work on their own, the SLI works fine without the sound card, however I can't get all three to work together. Any help would be appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

tObber
Level 7
I guess you using PCIE x8_1 and PCIE x8_B2 slots for your graphic cards?

If so, you would only be left by PCIE x4_1 (lane5) to use for your sound card.

Because x8_B2 slot will be disabled if slots A2, x8_3 or x8_4 is occupied.

/Cheers

Tokens210
Level 10
Just as tobber said, if you look in the user manual there will be a page that shows you which lanes are shared between which slots

Typically first GPU goes into the highest spot which normally is a x16/x8, then the second card would go into the slot directed by the manual for sli which is usually a x8/x4 or something similar

Then for the sound card you'd want to use a slot the manual says isn't shared with either one of the slots you have a GPU in

Just googling it shows many ppl having had similar issues, most likely from the posts the issue is between the CPU lanes and or the plx chip that handles anything over the lanes that the CPU provides

There's actually a thread about just this in these forums called "In SLI hell - maximus extreme vi" I tried linking it but my phone apparently doesn't feel like it lol

I don't have this exact board and I'm no expert, just info I've seen or learned while researching and looking around
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Thanks for the reply guys. I got it working, it was just me being a spaz about which slots I needed to put the cards in. 🙂

For anyone interested, I threw the gfx cards in the first red slot and the black slot, then the sound card was plonked into the little black sort. All sorted. SLI and 7.1, gaming is going to be so awesome... Shame I have 6k words to do before next week hahah.

ProjectAngel wrote:
Thanks for the reply guys. I got it working, it was just me being a spaz about which slots I needed to put the cards in. 🙂

For anyone interested, I threw the gfx cards in the first red slot and the black slot, then the sound card was plonked into the little black sort. All sorted. SLI and 7.1, gaming is going to be so awesome... Shame I have 6k words to do before next week hahah.

Well its good to see u figured it out and at least that's off ur mind while u work on your 6k words lol
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo