cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I open the case of the GL551?

ted234521
Level 7
I'd like to clean out the fans/reapply thermal paste as well as remove the optical drive for a caddy but I cannot seem to open the panel of my GL551. I mean the entire back of the laptop, not the small service opening already present. My friend said there might be screws underneath the rubber feet of the laptop? So far all I can find are the two obvious ones in the upper corners, but they're not enough to allow for the back of the laptop to be removed. If opening the laptop voids my warranty I'm okay with that, I'd rather have the ability to clean/upgrade my machine for a long time than replace it anyway.
4 REPLIES 4

tomas_newbery
Level 7
I am having the same issue with my GL511JW, but I only want to chang my HDD

Clintlgm
Level 14
I just goggled for this and it looks like if you guy's make this disassembly please video it or document it you may be the first ones to do so.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

I am having the same problem, I can t figure out how to remove the back of this laptop.

I've been looking for this vid for a while.

You can change or upgrade the Hdd, RAM memory, and optical drive without this full removal. For HDD and RAM just remove battery then hold down Power button (10 sec or more) to discharge any extra elec. then remove 2 screw cover.

For optical it's even easier. That comes out with just the screw in the middle of laptop back. Remove this then just lightly pull out drive from side. Don't remove just after using much as drive gets hot and can actually expand or warp a little and won't remove.
(NOT KIDDING...> note the way the screw hold is orientated when attached to back of optical drive this is a BIG pain if you put it back on upside down.

This is a Msata installation vid, You have to open the case to do so, and will have access to everything else.
( GL551 uses mSATA "mini" 30 mm LENGTH. The half size 50 mm's L are 30 mm Wide (confusing) so check size specs. I've really seen up to 128GB in this size) with no room for full or half on this MOBO 😞 If you find bigger please reply!

Be careful especially when detaching Lan wires, tab by battery compartment, separating keyboard. Take your time..remember or write down different size screw locations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKaRMs0Mmio&nohtml5=False

More SS Memory Info...
http://www.snia.org/forums/sssi/knowledge/formfactors