cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple BSOD's all of a sudden?

RickSinGA
Level 11
My system had been running flawlessly under my OC until several days ago. Then it froze in the middle of loading an FSX flight. Locked slap up, had to power down. It tried to boot repeatedly 6 or 7 times at about 1 second intervals before I could pull the power cord. The keyboard wouldn't do anything. After sitting for a few minutes I got it to come up and it had changed to the default BIOS settings. I went into Win 8.1 and all appeared to be okay, so I tried loading FSX; long story short was FSX was FUBARED! Multiple configuration files blank and or corrupted.

Being the genius, I always thought I was, I didn't have a FSX backup to reinstall! So several days latter I am about 1/10th of the way back from a complete FSX reload (likely a 5 to 6 week process) and I started getting BSOD's? I did have the FSX package and a few addon utilities reloaded when this started to occur?

At first I got a Kernel error a day or two ago, then a lockup yesterday followed today by several System_Service_Exceptions (Ndis.sys) and now (NTFS.sys) errors with a few just plain lockups along the way. This started slow but now it happens within minutes of loading! I don't even have to be in FSX now to get them. One of the first ones mentioned something about memory so I reseated the memory at the time, haven't seen that one again. Just checked the system again, not the one I am typing on, and it is locked up on the desktop. Okay so now I pushed the power button and it keeps trying to reboot; the Front Panel Dual Bay device shows it stopping at USB every time. It tried to reboot every few seconds 10 times before i pulled the plug again?

It is running the default Optimized BIOS settings and has been through the most of this.

I hope someone can help me?

Thanks
Rick S.
14 REPLIES 14

RickSinGA
Level 11
Now i am really confused.

I am now locking up/Freezing while in the BIOS setup screen?

RickSinGA
Level 11
Must be a slow night on the forum? Butttttttttttttt...............

I think I have it figured out. I did some research on what memory problems would look like on Google. I had never had any before.

Found that the problems I was experiencing were classic examples of bad memory. Soooooooooooooooooo.......

I grabbed a pair of 4GHz Corsair XMS3 DDR3 I had laying around and swapped out my pair of 8GHz GSkill Trident X and viola, problem gone!

Now my problem is how to RMA the GSkills, I have had them since 7/2/14 but only installed the back in September with my new build.

Rick S

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Greetings Rick,

Glad you got your system up and going. For what it is worth I teach a computer hardware course at a tech college and this is the classic example of memory error symptoms that I cover with my students 🙂

Glad to see you got your system up-Brian

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi RickSinGA
Have you run Memtest86 on you GSkills before going through the RMA procedure? as this may have been a config problem.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

RickSinGA
Level 11
My problem, MM, with running MemTest86 now is I had to swap the memory to even get the machine to post. It just kept restarting over and over?

I wonder if there are other files that got corrupted besides those in FSX? I sure don't want to start from scratch again!

Rick S.

PS, I had the problem even without any OC, bone stock.

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi RickSinGA

If you are concerned that some Windows files have been corrupted, run "sfc /scannow" without the quotation marks in an elevated prompt.
If there are corrupted files, Windows will attempt to correct them and notify you of the results.
Memtest86 is run outside of windows. You have to load Memtest86 onto a USB stick, then switch IN Bios to boot from the USB.
Test one DIMM at a time and if one fails then RMA the set.

MM
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

RickSinGA
Level 11
Thanks MM, ran "sfc /scannow" with the following result: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

I will need to pick up another USB stick to run Memtest86 the next time I go to town; really don't want to loose anything on my current sticks.

Question, is there a way to run a Motherboard verification test of some sort; just to rule out any possible problems there.

FYI, I have not had a single problem since changing memory; it's been 24 hours or so now. All stress tests and benchmarks work as expected.

Thanks
Rick S.

TheNerdBench
Level 10
FYI you can download a ISO Image and burn MEMTEST86 to a CD. You can get MemTest86 from the www.passmark.com now. I just had my students use the utility in my Computer Hardware course I teach; let me know if you have questions (just let the test run over and over for at least four hours).

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

Tokens210
Level 10
Seems like most of your questions or issues have been answered, except for returning ur ram

If I recall correctly gskill actually has a lifetime warranty, i recently got some gskill that had a lifetime warranty on them but you said your were older so im not 100% if they offered it when u purchased, on their ram so as long as you weren't running it at something crazy I don't see any reason for them not to replace it

But as other suggested you may wanna at least try to run memtest to be sure, most common response normally seen with memtest is if it has 4 passes and 0 errors then the ram is perfectly fine
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo