G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2400
2 x HDD 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s
1 DRW

Any recommendations?

Noots
10 REPLIES 10

Nackers
Level 15
hi Noots, welcome to ROG.. anything 750wat + will do the job nicely, going above 1000wat is a waste of money,, If your thinking about doing water cooling go with a 1000wat, here's a couple of good psu's that will do the job.. If you want a nice clean build go for a fully modular psu, as you can keep your wiring down to only what you are going to be using..

Corsair CS750M Modular 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
Corsair HX850i 80 Plus Platinum 850W Power Supply

abvolt
Level 11
I agree unless your running say a pair of kingpins and doing a lot of overclocking something like a seasonic 860 would do very nicely..
Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

NemesisChild
Level 12
You don't need a 750W PSU for a single GPU system.
Something like a Corsair HX650W or a Gold 650W Seasonic or EVGA PSU would be fine.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Skunk
Level 8
The absolute max power draw on your system is going to be in the 350-370W range...figure in PSU aging and you should get something in the area of 450-500W PSU. Your system should idle fairly low and the efficiency of PSU's drops considerably at the low end, so you do not want to over spec it. (I'm making the assumption you aren't going to want to add additional graphics cards in the future)

A few suggestions on the system...de-spec the motherboard and RAM and up-spec the processor and graphics card. Also, a small SSD will perform much better than 2 HDD's in RAID, so I'd drop one of the HDD's and get a small SSD.

Skunk wrote:
The absolute max power draw on your system is going to be in the 350-370W range...figure in PSU aging and you should get something in the area of 450-500W PSU. Your system should idle fairly low and the efficiency of PSU's drops considerably at the low end, so you do not want to over spec it. (I'm making the assumption you aren't going to want to add additional graphics cards in the future)

A few suggestions on the system...de-spec the motherboard and RAM and up-spec the processor and graphics card. Also, a small SSD will perform much better than 2 HDD's in RAID, so I'd drop one of the HDD's and get a small SSD.

Hmm, we see this "minimum PSU" often, just bad advice IMO, some upgrades you don't plan for and Christmas is coming. Get a 750W of good quality. You will be able to sleep nights knowing your PSU is overkill. The PSU will not be in question when troubleshooting. You can upgrade when the time comes. You will lose little when the computer is at idle and the PSU efficiency drops - you are using little power so it does not matter. PSU's generally run best at 80% (assuming a quality PSU) so a 500W will be fine for your rig - provided you do not add anything.
Good advice on the SSD, nothing improves the feel of a computer more than a boot SSD with your current game on it.

Thank you everyone for your input and advice. This is my 7th build since 2003, and hopefully it will be uneventful like all of the other ones.

Noots

Duke of Alinor wrote:
Hmm, we see this "minimum PSU" often, just bad advice IMO, some upgrades you don't plan for and Christmas is coming. Get a 750W of good quality. You will be able to sleep nights knowing your PSU is overkill. The PSU will not be in question when troubleshooting. You can upgrade when the time comes. You will lose little when the computer is at idle and the PSU efficiency drops - you are using little power so it does not matter. PSU's generally run best at 80% (assuming a quality PSU) so a 500W will be fine for your rig - provided you do not add anything.

500W would not be a minimum for an application like this. The Falcon NW Tiki Z has an overclocked Titan Z and oc'd 4970K and works off of a 600W power supply. The Titan Z has over 200W more power consumption than a GTX 760, not even counting it being overclocked.

I agree you want the PSU to be operating around 80% to get the best efficiency, however you want that to be for a typical high load scenario, not the maximum theoretically possible power consumption; for reference, a 4790K and 780Ti will have a high load scenario under 250W.

Good luck with the build!

sk2play
Level 13
Noots wrote:
I'm getting conflicting estimated wattage at ASUS & pcpartspicker

Build

Asus Maximus VII Gene
i5 4430
Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB DirectCU II
G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2400
2 x HDD 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s
1 DRW

Any recommendations?

Noots

Nice Build.
What is your brand model PC Case?
Corsair 500R Case, H110 Hydro, 1200AX PSU, Asus Maximus Hero VI MB, Intel 4770K CPU, Gigabyte GPU GV-N98TWF3OC-6GD, G-Skill Trident 2400MHz 32GB, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, Seagate 6TB HDD x2, Creative SBZ to Denon AVR-4311ci - Infinity Primus 5.1 w/Klipsch Sub XW-300d, HP ZR30w 30" S-IPS LCD, W10 64bit

sk2play wrote:
Nice Build.
What is your brand model PC Case?

I haven't decided yet ... but I've been coveting a Lian lin for the past 7 years but always end up with a clunky Antec. Seriously looking at PC-V358A, but my pragmatic side is whispering Corsair Carbide CC-9011069.