cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

resetting g750J back to factory setting - "unable to reset partition missing"

pong1226
Level 7
hello guys.. just need some help here.. I want to reset my laptop back to factory settings.. I did this
. Resart notebook PC then press F9 during POST.
2. Wait for windows to load the Choose an option screen then tap Troubleshoot.
3. Tap Reset your PC.
4. In the Reset your PC screen, read the bullet pionts to learn more about using this option then tap Next...
after clicking the NEXT button... it was showing this "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing." I tried to transfer files because my drive C is full.. and i think I moved files that I shouldn't.. thats why I want to do a reset.. please help.. any ideas.. thanks a lot..
9 REPLIES 9

HaZeFs
Level 7
Do you have Windows 8.1 ? because when you update 8 to 8.1 your recovery partition will not work , to make it work you have to use Asus recovery fix it will reboot into f9 screen but this time it won't say Parition missing.

hmscott
Level 12
pong1226 wrote:
hello guys.. just need some help here.. I want to reset my laptop back to factory settings.. I did this
. Resart notebook PC then press F9 during POST.
2. Wait for windows to load the Choose an option screen then tap Troubleshoot.
3. Tap Reset your PC.
4. In the Reset your PC screen, read the bullet pionts to learn more about using this option then tap Next...
after clicking the NEXT button... it was showing this "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing." I tried to transfer files because my drive C is full.. and i think I moved files that I shouldn't.. thats why I want to do a reset.. please help.. any ideas.. thanks a lot..

pong1226, I have heard of others with this issue, but it hasn't happened to me. I did an Asus Backtracker Backup under Windows 8.1 with the Asus Backtracker for Windows 8.1. If you are still using the original Asus Backtracker that came with the laptop, I am assuming you have a JW/JX/JH model that originally came with Windows 8, then you need to uninstall it and install the Windows 8.1 version so you can use it on your upgraded to Windows 8.1 laptop 🙂

Here is the latest Asus Backtracker for Windows 8.1
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=Backtracker&hashedid=n%2fa

A USB 3.0 16GB flash drive is recommended to create the bootable recovery backup. You should also do a test restore to make sure it works before deleting, erasing, repartitioning, or over-installing another OS onto the original boot HDD/SSD.

You need to disconnect any USB storage from the laptop when doing the creation of the flash drive with Asus Backtracker - some have reported it erased their other USB storage - this didn't happen to me, but best to be safe.

When you do the test restore, make sure to only have the test HDD/SSD in the laptop. The recovery program will erase and partition any drives it finds in the laptop before doing the restore - if your original HDD is in the 2nd Bay IT WILL GET ERASED - and if your flash drive fails during restore (some are not compatible even after created) you won't be able to create another flash recovery drive with another flassh drive, because your original HDD will now be blank.

Be careful.

Please come back and let us know if that works for you too. 🙂

hmscott...does that mean that after updating to windows 8.1 and then using the 8.1 backtracker version it will actually back up your os system with the updated 8.1 or will it revert back to 8.0?.....as I have after using my usb backup always had to do all the laborious windows updates to get back to 8.1... hope you get what I mean thx mintys..
G750 -JHA -32GB -256GB SSD -512GB SAMSUNG 840 PRO SSD
Windows 8.1...Home Ed.
Latest Kit..Sep 2016
G752-VY-32GB- 2 X 256GB SSD'S + 512GB SAMSUNG 840 PRO Windows 10 Home Edition.

mintys1 wrote:
hmscott...does that mean that after updating to windows 8.1 and then using the 8.1 backtracker version it will actually back up your os system with the updated 8.1 or will it revert back to 8.0?.....as I have after using my usb backup always had to do all the laborious windows updates to get back to 8.1... hope you get what I mean thx mintys..

mintys1, most people can download the updated Backtracker, uninstall the old one, reboot, and install the Windows 8.1 newest Asus Backtracker and it will work again.

The Recovery partition is still at the original out of the box OS install, if that was Windows 8.0 that is what you get 🙂

What I do is do all the updates and make an Image backup of the C disk, then upgrade to Windows 8.1 and do an Image backup, then do all the Windows 8.1 updates and if everything is working ok, another Image backup. They are about 138GB compressed (max compression) each.

Macrium Reflect Free
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

hmscott wrote:
...They are about 138GB compressed (max compression) each...

Are you sure that is the size?
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16

gazzacbr wrote:
Are you sure that is the size?

gazzacbr, they are for me, 'cause I have a bunch of other stuff installed on my C partition 🙂

pong1226
Level 7
I will get back to you guys.. thanks for the help.. 🙂

rizwan_wangde
Level 7
Guys, I am facing the same issue... I haven't understood the solution though!
ASUS ROG G750JH-DB71

CPU: i7-4700HQ @ 2.40 GHz.
Graphics: GeForce GTX 780M 4 GB GDDR5 RAM
Screen: 17.3' Full HD Matte Screen
Memory: 24GB DDR3L 1600 MHz. RAM 3x8
Storage: 128GB * 2 SSD in RAID 0, 1TB HDD @ 5400rpm

gazzacbr
Level 10
@hmscott, whoa, more than a bunch 😉

was just checking as op will do clean install and normal basic windows would be less than 20GB

hmm, just realised that all my games are on a separate partition (they are shared between os's) and CAD programs and database are in a different windows on another partition also.
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16