cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 bad "IPS glow" from screen crushing black detail... anyone else noticed it?

Richdog
Level 7
I have noticed that I have really bad "IPS glow" on my screen (LP173WF4-SPD1). That means that on dark colours or scenes, it has a luminous glow that makes the blacks look grey, almost like a TN panel., and destoys any detail meaning I can barely see anything! It is very distracting in games with dark scenes and is really annoying me now. It is noticeably worse than my old laptop that also has an LG IPS panel (LP156WF5-SPB1).

Has anyone else noticed this with theirs? :confused:
50 REPLIES 50

Sagi
Level 7
I have the same issue with my screen - It's only in the left side of it, but it's still annoying to look at.

This is also one of the reason I'm doing RMA this week.
The King of the north!

Richdog
Level 7
Thanks Sagi. Anyone else?

Of all the problems I have hadso far this one is the deal-breaker... will be contacting ASUS support and the retailer tomorrow to ask what we can do about it. If I got another one exactly the same I could not live with it. The glow effect so strong that it destroys all blacks. Very dissappointing.

Carl_Fredrik
Level 7
My sreen on my 751jt looks fine and black is realy black like i should on an ips screen. You could try lovering the gama , if you not using the preset modes by asus, game, theater and so on. Go to nvidia settings an choose nvidia, then you can put lower gama.

Sagi. It looks like you got a faulty display.

Carl Fredrik wrote:
My sreen on my 751jt looks fine and black is realy black like i should on an ips screen. You could try lovering the gama , if you not using the preset modes by asus, game, theater and so on. Go to nvidia settings an choose nvidia, then you can put lower gama.

Already tried that, doesnt make things better. Black detail is still completely crushed and awful. 😞

Carl_Fredrik
Level 7
Was it like that from start? Maybe you could try a earlier graphic driver. I know there is some problems with the latest nvidia drivers and the 900 series

guvadc
Level 7
Isn't this typical of all IPS screens? A year ago I purchased 2 different IPS 27 inch monitors , and AOC and then ASUS. I ended up returning both and settled on a Samsung SPVA panel that had deeper more uniform blacks.

My G751JM isn't particularly bad in this regard, but it does have a minor glow. It is also the more reflective touch screen which could possibly hide more severe aspects of it.

guvadc wrote:
Isn't this typical of all IPS screens? A year ago I purchased 2 different IPS 27 inch monitors , and AOC and then ASUS. I ended up returning both and settled on a Samsung SPVA panel that had deeper more uniform blacks.

My G751JM isn't particularly bad in this regard, but it does have a minor glow. It is also the more reflective touch screen which could possibly hide more severe aspects of it.

As per the first post, it is noticeably worse than my previous IPS screen, which I also have on the desk next to me.

Richdog wrote:
As per the first post, it is noticeably worse than my previous IPS screen, which I also have on the desk next to me.

Is it the whole screen or just part of the screen? In my experience this tends to get worse progressively as you go up in screen sizes. Although going from a 15 to a 17 shouldn't be that big of jump to make it noticeably worse... I wouldn't think.

guvadc wrote:
Is it the whole screen or just part of the screen? In my experience this tends to get worse progressively as you go up in screen sizes. Although going from a 15 to a 17 shouldn't be that big of jump to make it noticeably worse... I wouldn't think.

It is very even, so not a sign of traditional corner bleeding etc. Maybe it's just a characteristic of this particulal screen... but it is VERY distracting and certainly worse than my 15"! Maybe the increase in size does worsen it, but I wouldn't have though to this extent... sigh.