cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New HERO VII build, will not POST/boot, help?!

stal1878
Level 7
Hello.
I have built a new PC today and when I powered up the system will not POST/boot. Here are the specs:

Asus Maximus Hero VII
i7 4790k
HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 2x4gb
Corsair H105
Crucial M500 240gb
Super Flower 650w Gold
Raedon HD5850 (already had this, can't afford a new one yet).
CM Storm Stryker

So when I power on the mobo leds come on fine, start the system and the CPU, chassis, GPU fans all come on, BUT the qcode displays "00" and the "CPU LED" lights up red. No display output from the GPU or mobo. The first time you boot after removing the power the mobo will turn off after about 10-15 seconds then turn back on and then stay running until you turn it off. Not sure, but I think its supposed to do this as its adjusting settings?

I have swapped the ram around, used 1 stick(4gb), updated the BIOS to 2012(didn't work), reset Cmos and removed battery for 30 secs. I then removed the CPU again and checked it was seated correctly and pins for damage which looked fine to my naked eye. I then checked all power connections and ran it outside the chassis with ONLY mobo, CPU, CPU cooler and PSU with the same result.
If I disconnect the CPU power from the mobo atx socket the "CPU LED" doesn't light, but obviously the system doesn't POST.
In all my swapping and changing I have never seen anything on the qcode screen apart from "00".

I really don't know what else to try and am really gutted tbh as this is a hell of a lot of money for me(just bought a house) for something that doesn't work.

Any advice would really be fantastic as I am at a deadend now myself. I have raised a ticket with Ebuyer who I bought the mobo and CPU from, but need to know which unit is broken(if any) because obviously I have no chance of them replacing both for new(if they will change even one!).

Many thanks, Ben
15 REPLIES 15

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Greeting Ben and welcome to the Asus ROG Forum,

Is this a new motherboard and CPU?

First see my link in my signature on bench testing; I would remove the motherboard from the case & run the system on the black box that the M/B came in.

Follow the process below to get the M/B to POST:
1) only install the CPU, graphics card, single memory module in DIMM A2 per the manual and the stock CPU Heatsink Cooler-remove all other parts!
2) verify that BOTH the 8-Pin and 4-Pin CPU Power Connectors (EATX12V_1 and EATX12V_2)
3) plug the keyboard and mouse into a USB 2 port (not USB 3)

I have seen where improper H series CPU coolers have cause CPU errors with the AMD CPUs; the stock CPU cooling ensures that is not an issue.

If your are still having problems I may suggest that you try another CPU and Graphics card.

I hope this helps-if not I would consider RMAing the board.

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

TheNerdBench wrote:
Greeting Ben and welcome to the Asus ROG Forum,

Is this a new motherboard and CPU?

First see my link in my signature on bench testing; I would remove the motherboard from the case & run the system on the black box that the M/B came in.

Follow the process below to get the M/B to POST:
1) only install the CPU, graphics card, single memory module in DIMM A2 per the manual and the stock CPU Heatsink Cooler-remove all other parts!
2) verify that BOTH the 8-Pin and 4-Pin CPU Power Connectors (EATX12V_1 and EATX12V_2)
3) plug the keyboard and mouse into a USB 2 port (not USB 3)

I have seen where improper H series CPU coolers have cause CPU errors with the AMD CPUs; the stock CPU cooling ensures that is not an issue.

If your are still having problems I may suggest that you try another CPU and Graphics card.

I hope this helps-if not I would consider RMAing the board.

Hi mate.
Yes everything is new apart from the GPU(but I know this worked as have had it in two PC builds no problems), all the parts arrived last week.
This mobo only has a single 8 pin EATX12v for the CPU and 24 pin EATXPWR for the mobo power, there is no 4 pin EATX12v???
OK I'll try with the stock CPU cooler, not used that before.
I have have another LGA1150 cpu or access to one, obviously if I did that would make finding the problem a hell if a lot easier!

I think I am going to have to RMA something, but without know if the mobo or CPU is at fault I am a little stuck.

Thanks...

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Sorry; I thought this was a Maximus VII- even though you clearly listed the fact on the header-I've been answering too many posts 🙂

I'm thinking the the Corsair Cooler may be the problem-also the PSU could be the problem at this board/cpu will draw a bit more current. I would take the CPU from your new M/B and place in another system for testing...it is possible that if the VRMs failed on the M/B that could result in CPU Damage.

Post back with what you find out...always good to hear what the actual problem was 🙂

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

Hi ma

Hi mate.

I removed the H105 and took the CPU out again and checked the pins with a magnifing glass and they looked OK. Then I fitted the stock Intel cooler and ran in the box with just PSU, cooler, CPU and it POSTed!!
Added ram - booted. Added GPU - booted. Mounted on chassis with monitor and mouse/KB and it boots to BIOS now!
Really pleased the mobo and CPU appear to be ok, but pissed off the Corsair H105 seemed to be causing the problem! About to start another thread about that now.

When I was researching this build I thought that 650w would be enough even if I went with a new GPU so long as I didn't SLI/Crossfire, is this not the case? Would be a bit bummed if I bought a PSU not man enough for the job 😞 My idea was a bit lower power, but better quality...

Thank you very much though bud, between yourself and TheMeanMachine you have helped me work this out!

stal1878
Level 7
Hello chaps.

Had a bit of a nightmare this weekend with my new build not POSTing. After lots of work it has turned out that with the Corsair H105 CPU cooler fitted to the CPU/mobo the mobo posts a "00" qcode and "CPU LED" fault. Stock Intel CPU cooler works and the PC boots to BIOS no problem.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the H105 is doing as ideally I want to run the 105.

Could it be possible the mounting system is putting stress on the mobo around the socket and pins are coming out of contact with the CPU? if thats the case it seems the 105 would be unusable...

Thanks for any input, Ben

I posted this in your other thread as well but I've seen more then one issue where the cooler being too loose or too tight caused the board to not boot

Also if the cooler itself is defective "most" boards will not boot without a CPU cooler
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

I just remounted the H105, but made up some washers out of Delrin and it seems to have cured it as it boots now fitted.
I also have left the screws on the looser side of tight, will have to see what temps the CPU is running at under load as to weather it will need to be tightened.

Its running at 23c on idle according to BIOS and my house is about 18c atm.

Yea this is an issue I've seen appear here a few times, now you'll need to play with it till you find the sweet spot lol

Where you have the lowest temps but it still boots lol

At least good to see that now you have the parts intended running correctly, I hope it all works out nice for ya
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo