cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bios Trying To Update But Doesn't...

Atlanta
Level 7
Hi to everyone
I have been reading threads here from other members for a few years now its a great site for help and tips, infact i overclocked my Maximus V Extreme on the advice from other posts by Members / Admins, never thinking I would have to post a new thread myself asking for help from the very knowledgeable Members / Admins here... 😄

Finished building my system last week, it started up then closed down and restarted again i think it rebooted 3 times seemed strange, I had read here someone else was asking that very question and he was told this was normal behavior, I pressed Del went straight into the UEFI.. I thought sweet love it when you build a sys and it posts straight into the UEFI, noted what version it was 0603.

At this point didn't even have an OS installed all settings were at default , as I have done in the past I always update to the latest UEFI if a new one is available which there was, 0802...

Also I had read the guide from Chino stating that a lot of people were having problems with trying to get the memory running at the XMP seeing as I had the same G.Skill memory as this guide I thought way to go.

I used an 8Gb usb2 stick, formatted in the fat32 file format and placed it on the 1st Rog connect port (flashback) I had downloaded the file from Asus UK site, also the renamer I had the 0802 named R5E.CAP. Everything went fine I rebooted, went straight to a black screen with message.

BIOS is updating.
Do not shut down or reset the system to prevent system boot failure.

Waited a good half hour, nothing was happening thought well I have 2nd Bios I can boot into that, came up with the same message, now I was really sweating, had to do another reboot , hopefully it was still a crashfree bios went onto my Asus lappie downloaded the 0703 file cleared the CMOS button, still same message, downloaded the 0603 back in business, phew thought I had a dead mobo on my hands, not a nice way to spend a Saturday nite trying to sort out your pride and joy.

95% of my mobos have been from Asus never had this problem befor I know you will say keep the 0603 bios, but any new improvements I want them, unless its really unnecessary I have seen a few posts here with others having the same problem as me, didn't want to hijack their threads.

As it happens I'm having a right old time trying to get my G. Skills Ripjaws 4 to there XMP of 3000 Mhz...
I have 4 sticks = 16Gbs fitted in the Red Dimms.

Also the clock was losing time about 12 - 15 hours hopefully just a dude battery, changed the battery today seems alright will keep an eye on it.

I can't do the 5 way optimization, when it goes to shut down it just hangs, I have to switch power off at the PSU then it boots back up with the db error (Memory). so im stuck at 3000 Ghz on the 5960X Cpu and 2166 Mhz on the memory.

I will do a video of what happens for Asus support it might help, I will do the update with EZ Flash 2

Just remembered also did an update through AI suite 111 went fine until it rebooted got the same screen.

Thanks

Hopefully we can get this sorted. 😄
14 REPLIES 14

Chino
Level 15
Please list your complete system specifications including all the peripherals you have connected to your system.

Atlanta
Level 7
Sorry I couldn't find where to put my specs in my profile or update my Avatar.

CPU : i7 - 5960 X @3.00 Ghz ~ 3.49 Ghz Boost
CPU Cooler : Corsair H105
CASE: Corsair Graphite Arctic White 760T
MEMORY : G.Skill DDR4 F4-3000C15Q-4096MB x4 CL 15-15-15-35 1.35V @2133
MOTHERBOARD : Asus Rampage V Extreme (BIOS 0603)
M.2 - Samsung XP 941 : 256Gb (Windows 8.1 )
SSD1 : Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
SSD2 : Crucial M500 960GB (Windows 10 Preview)
SSD3 : Intel X25 64Gb
DVD : Pioneer Blu Ray BDR 202
GPU : Nvidia GTX 690
PSU : Corsair AX1500i
MONITOR : Dell 30`

That's fine. No need to put it in your signature. 😛

Please do the following for me.

1. Disconnect all your SSDs, DVD and M.2.
2. Download the 0802 BIOS file again and put it on an empty FAT32 formatted USB pendrive.
3. Clear your CMOS.
4. Once in your BIOS, load the optimized defaults.
5. Save and restart.
6. Update your BIOS using the EZ Flash Utility.

Let me know how it goes for you.

Hi Chino

Thanks for your help, much appreciated

I get confused which is which :rolleyes: the... EZ Flash Utility, is that in the bios under the Tools section or via the Rog Connect button next to the clear CMOS Button. 😄

Cheers

Chino
Level 15
The EZ Flash Utility is the one inside the Tools section. The procedure with the ROG Connect button is called USB BIOS Flashback. 😛

Atlanta
Level 7
Hi Chino

Thanks for the clarification, sometimes the user guide gets a bit confusing... maybe its my age 😛

Disconnected all my drives left one stick of ram in just in case, even used the PS/2 Port for old faithful (keyboard) nothing in the USB ports apart from the pendrive, did everything you suggested,did the update via bios ,rebooted fingers crossed same message came up on the monitor, Q Codes goes up to 99 stays for a 30 seconds then goes on to 70 where it stays, the LEDs when it first reboots is stuck on BOOT_DEVICE_LED , so I took the pendrive out thinking its trying to boot from that,still no joy, cant think what boot device is stopping it 😞

Did think you where on to something by suggesting to remove the M.2. so cant blame the new technology.

I changed the battery on Saturday and already the internal clock has lost 20 mins, also might be me being picky, the day and date are the Other way around, here in the UK we have day first then the month, cant seem to change it, I'm sure on my Maximus V Extreme it was on the UK standard and not the American, is it not that important or me being picky :rolleyes:

Thanks again for your time and input...

Chino
Level 15
You will see the iROG is updating message as it is the second part of the BIOS update process. You need to let that finish.

As for the BOOT_DEVICE_LED to remain lit, it is normal since you do not have a SSD or HDD to boot from. Don't need to worry about that for now.

Atlanta
Level 7
Hi Chino

Still no luck,when the PC reboots after doing the EZ Flash Utility, no IROG comes up, just straight into a black screen with the message

BIOS is updating.
Do not shut down or reset the system to prevent system boot failure.
left it for one hour.

Even when you go into the 2nd Bios it gives the same message, the windows based EZ Update is trying aswell, thats been trying to update for the past half hour.

😞

Praz
Level 13
Hello

RMA the board. In the future use a known good, properly formatted USB stick and if stability is unknown default UEFI settings with a single stick of memory installed in the correct slot.