cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to use 60, 120, or 144?

Volt
Level 9
I lucked out and got my Asus ROG Swift monitor. It looks great. But, I'm not sure how to use the different refresh rates. It's easy to switch it between 60/120/144 with the push of a button.

So should I just set it to 144 all the time?

Is there a downside to having the refresh rate higher than what my games able to display frames per second?

When would I want to switch it to the different ones?

As I understand it, it will take a game displaying frames at or above the refresh rate to enjoy the full benefit.

Also the quick guide to the ASUS PG278 Series LCD monitor (AKA Asus ROG Swift) has a list of supported operating modes. All resolutions below 2560x1440 are at 60Hz. Only at 2560x1440 can it do 60/95/100/120/144.

So will pressing the turbo button to toggle through 60/120/144 not do anything at the smaller screen resolutions?

thanks

Volt
5 REPLIES 5

Birri
Level 7
Hi,If you put a 120hz refresh rate and depending game and GPU,if you get 60fps, just would synchronize at a refresh rate of 60Hz,get nothing more.

Will not go beyond.

A greeting

KeyboardDemon
Level 7
I just leave mine set to 144hz, I'm not sure if there are any benefits to changing to lower refresh rates at any time and as Birri said, if a game can't cope with 144hz then G-Sync should make the appropriate adjustments anyway.

KeyboardDemon wrote:
I just leave mine set to 144hz, I'm not sure if there are any benefits to changing to lower refresh rates at any time and as Birri said, if a game can't cope with 144hz then G-Sync should make the appropriate adjustments anyway.

agreed. perhaps there is less stress on the monitor if you don't always have it at 144hz, and i suppose its not needed if you don't get 144fps in games. but you do in some games, and on the desktop, so i leave it at 144

Zanthra
Level 7
For recording video you want as steady a framerate as possible, so setting the monitor to 60hz might be a good idea. Also if you want to reduce the load on the graphics card. There are also a few games that have problems at higher refreesh rates. Other than that, no reason not to leave it at 144hz, or 120hz if using ULMB.

Volt
Level 9
Zanthra, like you said about some games having issues with higher refresh rates. Beyond Earth has a bad bug that seems to be related to refresh rates. Where if you have the refresh rate set to 144 hz, then it will only allow you to play the game at 1280x1040 @ 24hz. A patch is coming out for that game that may address the issue. The work around is to set the monitor's refresh rate to 60hz to be able to change it to a higher screen resolution. On top of that, it only allows for windowed mode.

Thanks for the responses. Now I understand what to do.