Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DarthBeavis Project: Autopsy

DarthBeavis
Level 9
--Migrated from PDXLAN forums--

OK here we go:
My wife (being a vet) wants a rig with a medicine/anatomy theme.
I ordered the shell of what will be the case. It is 73" tall with a 36" chest and 30" waist.

Once I get it and cut it open so I can get measurements I will order a medical skeleton model. I was going to chrome the bones but instead I am going to air brush them. I will have to reinforce the model with steel rods. My plan is to use the computer hardware as organs with two rads being the lungs* a pump being the heart* hard drives in the head along with a brain-shaped resevior. Mobo in the chest cavity* psu in the stomache/intestine area. I plan to make the chest wall open up as well as the rib cage on hinges. A buddy of mine has robotics training so we might make the chest open via a push of a button.

I am going to start this project full bore early this Summer (have trip to Maui next month so sometime after that). You guys can be sure I am gonna pick ur brains for advice on this project . . .no pun intended

The mannekin arrived at our clinic. The employees helped me unload it out of the box and into my car . . .they are convinced I am crazy . . .of course they have been seeing a steady stream of weird stuff arrive there for a couple years now including the Buffy Axe and Stake (stake not in a mod . . .yet).

I drove around town with the mannekin in the car . . .now the town thinks I am nuts. . .also picked up a rotozip and jig saw for cutting up the dude . . .

19 REPLIES 19

DarthBeavis
Level 9
Here are the internal structure parts. I have a maid service that comes once a week (three really nice Hispanic ladies). I think they must think I am insane (they walked in the saw what u see in the pics below). I wonder why they call me Mr Diablo 😉

DarthBeavis
Level 9
Got the legs painted. Going to mod the rig cage and start cutting the mannequin next week.

Mannekin is cut* skeleton is painted. Awaiting PSU from Chaoserver and some fans* CPU* and memory from a vendor. Gonna mount the two BI GTX 240s on the back as there is not room to mount inside like I had hoped. HDD will still go in the skull* fill port in the mount (which I why I did the cut away on the face . . .the skull's mouth hinges open).

Seeing how mobo fits in chest cavity:

Painting the skeleton black* then apply chrome after:

Skeleton parts:

Mannekin Skywalker:

DarthBeavis
Level 9
So slow going . . .
Rokk cut me a real sweet brain (two red mirrors with UV blue acrylic sammiched in the middle). I am working on placing the fiber optic cables in it now. The HDD goes thru the brain as you can see and has a Maze 4 block epoxied on with Artic Silver Epoxy (thanks again Rokk). I am making a UV bracket over the ram to hold the fiber optic cables in place over the Crucial Ballitix RAM (will drill holes in it next). The RAM will light up the brain (thanks to Vector and Jeff for the ideas and know how). I also have holes for UV LEDS around the brain tho I am not sure how many LEDS I will actually put in it.

The stamped aluminum bones I had a metal laser cutting company do (I will get their name posted another time). There will be one more smaller one mounted below these two. I hope they add some support and will help distribute the weight of the rads and rib cage assembly across the mannekin's body. There will be two rad assemblies on the back each with 4 fans in push/pull.

Ben at Mountain Mods made a sweet resevior for me:

choaservers excellent sleeving . . .I am taking the entire thing out of the psu case and will mount it in the bottom of the thorax . . .plan to add a custom waterblock . . .when Rokk has time to cut it 😉

First attempt at brain . . .now brain damage:

Got more work done on the head and on the heart (pump).
The heart LEDS have a variable flash thanks to a handy dandy little device Jeff from PDXLAN pointed me to.

DarthBeavis
Level 9
Got the rib cage assembly in . . .it is not a perfect fit but as close as I can get it (for some reason it is hard to find matching mannekins/medical skeletons). I was going to put the stripped out PSU below the mobo but there is not room so I will put in in the right leg instead. We have turned my garage into a shop. Three of us we working on different rigs hence the multiple tables. Sprained my ankle (modding too hard I guess) so I have to take a couple days off.

DarthBeavis
Level 9
modding the abdomen for fitting the PSU . . .

then this morning I decide I better plug in the PSU to make sure it works (it was completely resleeved and cables extended by ChaoServer. . . I wanted no case so I had to CUT the case off to get the power plug and switch intact . . .obviously my cutting messed up something . . .cause I plugged it in and it went Mouse on me . . .poof . . .cap go boom . . .at least I think it was a cap. . .

Damn thing took out all the outlets on the kitchen wall . . .does not look like the circuit breaker flipped . . .arg. Time to go buy a new psu . . .will make the extended SATA power cable ChaoServer made into an extention SATA power cable. I will NOT run the PSU nekkid as I had planned.
Got the pevic bone attached . . .gonna cut a mirror for the bottom of the torso tomorrow. Head is assembled. Fiber optic cables work sweet when lit by an LED (still photo does not show it well). Waiting on new PSU and Red and Blue EL wire for the bones. Also need to install the TribalEVOLUTIONS res . . .going in the bicep.

DarthBeavis
Level 9
It seems Mannekin Skywalker is tired of being cut up . . .just seems to have caught at bad attitude . . .

Just call me teh Tony Sorprano of modders . . .you sure you wanna enter that modding contest ? Cause I cannot guarentee your safety* capish?

Packing light

Leak testing tonight . . .tho I am gonna change some stuff. The D5 pump is gonna be in the arm below the resevoir. I forgot to cap off the fill plug . . .hooked up the third pump in my loop (the D5)* fired it up* and FluidXP spewed from the fill port all over the table . . .

the res is not attached . . .waiting on some UV blue acrylic tomorrow for a backing

DarthBeavis
Level 9
More modding stuff (custom-made mankini with PDXLAN logo):

DarthBeavis
Level 9
Worked on hands today . . .and some jewelry . . .

Trying to keep it tidy in the neck:

Ouch . . .I was cutting bones with a rotozip . . .pushed away melted plastic i did not know was hot with meh thumb . . .dropped the running roto and allowed my son to hear how a sailor talks . . .go to spray on bactine . . .wonder why it does not work . . .check exp date . . .1999 . . .wtf? am i still in teh ghetto?

I leak tested the resevoir after reconnecting the bottom piece . . .a small pin prick of a leak . . .arggg. I know this will probably not work but I applied a tad bit of Weld On 16 (gel) over the spot and rubbed it in a bit. I just want this thing to work for the LAN darn it. I have my rig leak testing now bypassing the resevoir. Hope to fire it up with a live mobo tonight. After Jeff's experience I am a bit nervous . . .if any of my hardware is DOA it will be a major pain to get it out.

DarthBeavis
Level 9
"Vector" wrote:
Don't use a res at all is my opinion.

But was was so pretty Vector . . .I have fill port in . . .the res was just for looks. If that puppy still leaks under pressure tonight (will hook it in small loop with only a pump) then no resevoir I guess.

now* the good news. It is all up and alive!!!!! The Crucial Ballistix ram is flippen beautiful. We are gonna make an acryllic cover tomorrow which will hold the fiber cables in place over the ram (UV blue so u can still see the beautiful ram). Vector this stuff is the shizzle. Looks like the HDD surived the paint job as well as it shows up in the bios.

Now* how do I connect this switch properly for turning on the rig. I have the leads to the positive and negative on the mobo power connector.