New ROGer Array

G551 HDD and other upgrades

Hello Forum,

I have a couple quite simple questions, hope someone can help me with it. I would like to put the 1TB HDD in place of the ODD and put an SSD in place of the original hdd slot. I also thought about later on using the half sized msata as cache for the HDD.

-What kind of ODD caddy do i need?
    -Did anyone do this switch before, how does the outside of the ODD look?
    -What type of connection does the ODD have? Wont it be much slower than the HDD sata3 connection?
    -What type of m.2 sata drives can we use in the G551? What is the size limit?
    -How can we set up the cache to be used by the HDD? Can we boot from the m.2 sata disk?

-Did anyone try an AC wifi card in this laptop?
    -Did anyone try to upgrade the TN panel to an IPS panel? Unfortunately the IPS version is not available in my country.

Thanks in advance!

New ROGer Array

Is there really noone on the official ROG forums who knows the answers to these questions?

Is there an official mail where i could ask?

Or should I just simply forget ASUS?

New ROGer Array

I have replaced the 1tb HDD with a SSD and put the 1tb in place of the ODD. the caddy I purchased was from Amazon and was DBpower brand, I caution you that it is a tight fit when installing into bay but it does work. I would try and research one that would fit better. the one I got is a 9.5 mm size, guess it is just the manufacturer of it. another brand might fit better. the outside of the caddy is flat. I am able to take the faceplate off of the ODD and place on the caddy but chose not to to prevent breaking any tabs off.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by rcolonna View Post
    I have replaced the 1tb HDD with a SSD and put the 1tb in place of the ODD. the caddy I purchased was from Amazon and was DBpower brand, I caution you that it is a tight fit when installing into bay but it does work. I would try and research one that would fit better. the one I got is a 9.5 mm size, guess it is just the manufacturer of it. another brand might fit better. the outside of the caddy is flat. I am able to take the faceplate off of the ODD and place on the caddy but chose not to to prevent breaking any tabs off.
    I heard from othes too that they had problems with the caddy (G551).
    I hope i can use what i ordered today. Somebody sad that the 9,5mm is too big for this laptop, but there is no smaller on the market or i cant find any.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro

Oh all of the Samsung SSD are 7mm at least the Pro version I have never seen an EVO, I also have an Intel SSD which is 7 mm
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro