cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Core unlocking

Retired
Not applicable
Hey guys i tried doing a few searches on this but i couldnt find anything, I have amd x2 555 and i was able to unlock it to 4 cores but my pc seemed to run a little funny but now it seems to be fine, I dont get any alerts tho. Is there something else i can check to make sure everything is running fine? Thanks guys
7 REPLIES 7

Retired
Not applicable
Try running Prime95 and see if it breaks.

Mummy
Level 8
What mb you are useing?
I have Crosshair v and i get main 555 to 4 core too and its prime stable but even if i dont unlock any cores and just enabled "core unlocker" in BIOS. I get weard pictures in Browser, so i haveto set it disabled.
CPU: AMD FX-8150 MB: ASUS Crosshair V Formula DDR3: 2x4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1866
GPU: ASUS 7970 SSD: 4x Corsair F3 120GB @ Raid0 PSU: SF Golden Silent 500W OS: W7 Ultimate 64bit

Retired
Not applicable
Mummy wrote:
What mb you are useing?
I have Crosshair v and i get main 555 to 4 core too and its prime stable but even if i dont unlock any cores and just enabled "core unlocker" in BIOS. I get weard pictures in Browser, so i haveto set it disabled.

I have the same set up you do, My screen gets weird and sometimes my icons are weird colors and if i try to open a web browser they crash and then my display driver crashes. I have asus gtx 550 ti. How where you able to unlock with out using the core unlocker?

Mummy
Level 8
Sry my bad english 🙂
i dont have it as 4 core because of those weard problems on web browser. i dont know but i think that this mb just isnt for unlocking AM3 CPU and that part of the BIOS is only for BD.

To get browser weard i only need to enable "ASUS Core Unlocker", set Manual that "CPU Core Activation" and leave those add cores to disabled.
Basicly i only activate the chip or software that do it but the CPU stays the same and it still get weard on Browsers and stuff like that.
So i think this mb isnt for core unlockin on this old CPU's. i might be wrong but havent seen even one done yet.
CPU: AMD FX-8150 MB: ASUS Crosshair V Formula DDR3: 2x4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1866
GPU: ASUS 7970 SSD: 4x Corsair F3 120GB @ Raid0 PSU: SF Golden Silent 500W OS: W7 Ultimate 64bit

Jaytheredneck1
Level 8
From my vague understanding of AMD's locked cores, it's a way for them to save cpus with bad cores from the dumpster. IE when they make a x4 with a bad core, they lock the core(s) and sell it as an x3 or even x2. Likewise a bad x6 would become an x4. So this would explain the issue, as you may be actually unlocking a bad core.
Crosshair V Formula 990FX 0506 Bios - Phenom II X6 1100T - Gskill Sniper 1600MHz (4x4GB) - Saphire Radeon 6770 - OCZ Agility 3 60GB - WD Black 1TB - Cooler Master V6GT - Antec Dark Fleet 85 - Antec CP-850 - Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Mummy
Level 8
I know that is posible too, but getting problems even without unlockin?

Retired
Not applicable
Yeah I think I may have a bad core, I'm going to try to unlock it to 3 and then run prime and see how it goes. Thanks guys