cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74S-3D AC Adapter

Braz9
Level 7
First time to the forum and first time ASUS owner. I have had the laptop for 2 days so far and I love it. I have a question about gaming on it.

I have been gaming with the AC Adapter plugged in to keep from the battery dying. I have noticed that the adapter gets extremely hot very quickly. Is this normal? Or am I doing something wrong. This is my first laptop and i want to make sure i don't damage it.

Thanks in advance.
21 REPLIES 21

dstrakele
Level 14
I have a G74SX-A1 and my power brick is warm to the touch after many hours of use. However, I rarely use the battery and it probably is not spending much time charging it. I'd imagine it would be hotter if it was charging the battery for a longer time.

What do you mean by "extremely hot"? Too hot to handle? Is it always at this temp or does it cool down once the battery is charged?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Yes to hot to hold for more than several seconds. I mean it will nto burn you or anything but it is very hot. When I unplug it from the laptop but leave it plugged in to an AC outlet it will cool down after several minutes. It only heats up when it is plugged into the laptop. As for does it cool down after the battery is charged I will have to check that out to be sure, but I think it was cool after charging over night.

dstrakele
Level 14
It shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours to charge the battery. Once the Power LED turns green on the front of your laptop, start monitoring the power brick temperature. I'm thinking you'll find it will start cooling off.

Thanks for the help. My power brick did cool off after the battery was charged. I guess the battery was charging last night and that is why it was so hot.

grungeboy2
Level 10
mine gets hot as crap too.

sometimes i use my exhaust vent to heat up coffee.

dstrakele
Level 14
I just blow the flames out and keep playin'....

dstrakele wrote:
I just blow the flames out and keep playin'....

sig'd

380mcn
Level 9
i have seen a different behaviour with the AC adapter..
If i plug to a grounded outlet it stays cooler than connected to a non-gounded outlet..

update: european 220v

JRd1st
Level 12
You're using something that's supposed to be grounded in a plug that isn't?
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com