cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing dualboot Windows 8.1 Pro and Ubuntu on G750JS

suburbian
Level 7
Hi,

I think the topic name already describes very precise what I want to do.
I already ready a little about this things here in the forum and elsewhere, but I don't have a clear picture of what I have to do.

I have a bootable Win 8.1 Professional DVD and I also have a bootable Ubuntu DVD.

In the past I first installed Ubuntu, made all the partitioning and so on, then installed Windows.

Can anyone give me a description what I will have to do now. I snese it's more complicated now, since the Laptop is natively not recognizeing booable DVDs anymore and like I understand it, I have to make some changes in the BIOS too.

My plan is to split the SSD 128/128 for each system und the 1,5TB HDD for data (prob. also 2 Partitions one for UB and one for Windows.

Thanks for any help

sub
2 REPLIES 2

sk2play
Level 13
Hi, I am a Ubuntu 14.04 user presently and have dual booted with WinXP 32bit and W7 64bit on my experimental "have a blast" PC. I have not had the need to dual boot with W8.x presently. Personally speaking, I find the Ubuntu dual boot utility far superior to the MS dual boot utility. Therefore, if this was me, I would load W8.x first with 180GB and then Ubuntu 14.04 which will apportion the rest of the SSD and install its dual boot utility (which take a little SSD space).

Your secondary drive can be partitioned in W8.x if need be but it is not necessary. You can leave that all one 1.5TB drive as Ubuntu sees the NTFS formats just find. You can share the same folders, music, video, pictures, etc with permissions granted by the Admin (you) or just use a different folder for such things from the default W8.x. But if you want it all separated, partition away in W8.x first and format it according to your needs.

Please Note, I am not a Linux guru. I just like to know how to install it and use it.
Corsair 500R Case, H110 Hydro, 1200AX PSU, Asus Maximus Hero VI MB, Intel 4770K CPU, Gigabyte GPU GV-N98TWF3OC-6GD, G-Skill Trident 2400MHz 32GB, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, Seagate 6TB HDD x2, Creative SBZ to Denon AVR-4311ci - Infinity Primus 5.1 w/Klipsch Sub XW-300d, HP ZR30w 30" S-IPS LCD, W10 64bit

suburbian
Level 7
Hi found this guide for triple boot. Think this closes my question here. He describes how to have win7,win8 and Ubuntu at the same time.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52213-Win7-win8-ubuntu-triple-boot-guide-on-asus-g750js