cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M6 Formula 00 Q code red cpu led - no post

beavisb
Level 7
Hello all,

I'm a long time lurker but this is my first post. I have had this system up and running for about a year now. Turned it on yesterday and got no post, no beeps only blank screen. Q code is 00 and the cpu led is solid red. I have tried most of the usual stuff: clear cmos, bios update, psu test, 1 stick of ram, no ram, different video card, on-board video, all drives unplugged, and so on...

I am fairly sure that it is my cpu but i just thought i'd throw this out here and see if there is anything i might not have tried ( i've scoured various forums and have tried most things). I do not have another cpu to try nor do I have another motherboard.

Specs are:
MB: M6 Formula bios 1505 (flashed to 1603 with usb method)
CPU: I5 4670k
COOLER: Corsair h100i cooler
GPU: MSi GTX760
RAM: Gskil F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH
System Drive: 2 x Kingston Hyperx 3K raid 0

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Dennis
5 REPLIES 5

jab383
Level 13
Hi, Dennis

Too bad this is why you had to de-lurk. You have it down to the two possibilities - CPU or Motherboard. I had one like that -- Qcode 00 and CPU led -- that was caused by failure in the motherboard voltage regulators. No power to the CPU looks like a failed CPU to the BIOS. That time I had another CPU to try, so it worked out.

There are some things that have a slight chance to help: Try unseating and re-seating the CPU. When reseating, check that the cooler waterblock is firmly but not tightly fastened. Too much pressure from the cooler can move the CPU to where socket pins make no contact or only a little contact. The thought is that one such pin finally moved out of contact.

If it still won't post, I think the only clear way to distinguish between the two is to try another one of one or the other. Less conclusive, but maybe better in the long run is to contact tech support of Intel and Asus and ask both for warranty RMA.

Jeff

Thanks for the reply Jeff,

I'll definitely try removing the cpu and checking the pins. I'm cot completely sure about this but I checked all of the voltage probe points on the MB and they all checked out, for that reason I am assuming the the MB is delivering power correctly. If someone could weigh in and let me know if this is not the case that would be cool.

If the removal/re-seating doesn't work I guess I'll have to start the RMA process - Lame!

Dennis

jab383 wrote:
Hi, Dennis

Too bad this is why you had to de-lurk. You have it down to the two possibilities - CPU or Motherboard. I had one like that -- Qcode 00 and CPU led -- that was caused by failure in the motherboard voltage regulators. No power to the CPU looks like a failed CPU to the BIOS. That time I had another CPU to try, so it worked out.

There are some things that have a slight chance to help: Try unseating and re-seating the CPU. When reseating, check that the cooler waterblock is firmly but not tightly fastened. Too much pressure from the cooler can move the CPU to where socket pins make no contact or only a little contact. The thought is that one such pin finally moved out of contact.

If it still won't post, I think the only clear way to distinguish between the two is to try another one of one or the other. Less conclusive, but maybe better in the long run is to contact tech support of Intel and Asus and ask both for warranty RMA.

Jeff

I agree with you, that it is vreg mosfets, this issue is not new nor is it brand or chipset specific either. I have been seeing it since Pentium D and socket 939.

beavisb
Level 7
Update:

I rma'd the cpu to intel and they sent me a brand new unit. I popped it in (after first inspecting all pins with a magnifier) and have the same issue. I double checked the PS by testing all connectors and all the voltages were spot on. I can only conclude that the MB is the culprit, maybe as jab383 suggested it's the voltage regulators to the cpu. Any other thoughts before I rma the board?

lordraptor1
Level 7
beavisb wrote:
Hello all,

I'm a long time lurker but this is my first post. I have had this system up and running for about a year now. Turned it on yesterday and got no post, no beeps only blank screen. Q code is 00 and the cpu led is solid red. I have tried most of the usual stuff: clear cmos, bios update, psu test, 1 stick of ram, no ram, different video card, on-board video, all drives unplugged, and so on...

I am fairly sure that it is my cpu but i just thought i'd throw this out here and see if there is anything i might not have tried ( i've scoured various forums and have tried most things). I do not have another cpu to try nor do I have another motherboard.

Specs are:
MB: M6 Formula bios 1505 (flashed to 1603 with usb method)
CPU: I5 4670k
COOLER: Corsair h100i cooler
GPU: MSi GTX760
RAM: Gskil F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH
System Drive: 2 x Kingston Hyperx 3K raid 0

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Dennis

resurrecting this topic as I have been seeing a LOT of these post code 00 red cpu led issues on all types of boards from Z170's to X399 ( I myself have the issue on X399).

so basically the general consensus it is the motherboard itself or the cpu where as one forum I went to everyone unanimously says it is the cpu itself.

well folks I am here to tell you look at your boards FIRST, do all the basic troubleshooting steps ( you should all know them by heart).

anyway, in my experience the root cause of the 00 post code is faulty voltage regulators on the mobo. I have seen the 00 post code on more boards than I can count of varying brands and cpus all the way back to the Pentium D and socket 939 stuff. if you are getting 00 post code, I suggest the following:

1 do basic troubleshooting breadboard style checking all connections FIRST the remove one component at a time till you are left with only the CPU left. if you still have 00 with only the cpu left after removing all components ( including the PSU) and still have a warranty set up an RMA on the board. if the board comes back repaired or a replacement arrives and the problem is still present do NOT automatically assume at that point it is the CPU, I cant tell you how many times I have rmaed multiple board for the same reason and as soon as I question the manufacturer as to if the voltage regulator mosfets might be the problem I get the board back in working order.

some of the time there will be warning signs such as voltages being shown wrong in bios but not always but if your voltages are not showing correctly then I would be suspect of the board.

hope this information helps some of you I know there are a LOT of youtube vids on this problem with more of the vids being asus boards than anything but it isn't a brand or model specific problem and the vids are just people asking for help with the issue with some going and buying a new mobo and the new board works, there are a few vids of an individual ( sounds like he is hindu) that is repairing the issue on OLD boards using some pc diagnostic card that sticks in a mobo slot where he is actually removing, testing, and replacing vreg mosfets and repairing the boards.

again, hope this helps you guys I am having it with my x399 gamign 7 mobo ( left in the post to gb today for rma) and that board was fired up in October and ran for only a day when I turned it off and last week when I tried to fire it back up I had a red cpu led and post code 00.

I suspect that the manufacturers have been getting some bad batches of vreg mosfets.