cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X99 chipset supports 6 raid drives but Rampage V only supports 4

bsmiley55
Level 7
On some instructions showing pictures of setting up an Intel Raid, it looked like it stated that it would only raid up to 4 drives. Is there any reason the Rampage V Extreme only allows for a maximum of 4 raided drives when the X99 chipset actually maxes up to 6?
6 REPLIES 6

Chino
Level 15
bsmiley55 wrote:
On some instructions showing pictures of setting up an Intel Raid, it looked like it stated that it would only raid up to 4 drives.

Where? Got a link?

bsmiley55
Level 7
I thought it was an ROG guide but I don't remember which one. I've almost got all my parts and was looking for information on the board and RAID setup before building. It escapes me now...

bsmiley55 wrote:
I thought it was an ROG guide but I don't remember which one. I've almost got all my parts and was looking for information on the board and RAID setup before building. It escapes me now...

Perhaps the guide was done on an older platform. As far as the Rampage V Extreme goes, you can RAID up to 6 drives.

LiveOrDie
Level 11
Yep you are right thats because those 4 ports are asmedia not intel ports, But then again i think you can use the intel sata express ports for normal Sata drives it says right there.

bsmiley55
Level 7
That's the SATA Express controller on the Rampage spec page I think.

Intel shows the X99 will use up to 6( http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/performance-chipsets/x99-chipset.html )

Serial ATA (SATA) 6 Gb/s
Next generation high-speed storage interface supporting up to 6 Gb/s transfer rates for optimal data access with up to six SATA ports.6

6. Actual number of ports available may vary by system configuration. Please consult your system vendor for more information.

I'm just trying to figure out why the Rampage only seemed to go up to 4.

bsmiley55
Level 7
Thank for addressing my confusion, Chino.