cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCIE slot not working

kaefers
Level 7
It worked again after several reinsertions. Maybe just weak slot...
ASUS Maximus VII Impact • Intel 4790K • 2x8GB Mushkin 997122R • Zotac 1080 Ti Mini • Samsung 970 Pro • Corsair SF 750 • NZXT Kraken X52 • NZXT H200i • Ducky Shine 5 • Logitech MX Performance • Logitech H800 • 2x Eizo EV2736W • Windows, Ubuntu
2 REPLIES 2

jab383
Level 13
hI, kaefers

One suggestion that might work: Try removing the CPU from the socket, inspect the socket pins, then reinstall the CPU. When installing the Kraken waterblock, tighten it snugly, but not too tight. The point is to let any socket pins that moved off the CPU contact point to get back in place. Excess pressure from a cooler is one likely cause for misplaced pins, and the pins can move over time.

One totally wild possibility is in BIOS Extreme Tweaker tab > Tweaker's Paradise > PCIe Tuning > PCIe Clock Amplitude. You could try to adjust that a few steps either side of 0 to see if it makes a difference.

Otherwise, the CPU is much more likely failed than the M6F since there are no active components between the CPU System Agent and the PCIe sockets. Bent pins in the PCIe socket being the only likely board issue. What Vcore does the 4770K need for 4.5GHz? Looking for CPU degradation here - voltages over some value between 1.35 and 1.45, depending on the Haswell lottery, will lead to slow reduction of performance in the CPU. In fact, success at the clock amplitude tweak may indicate a little degradation. It's probably safe with Vcore below 1.3 and Vccsa below 1.15.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

thanks for your reply!

- CPU was the first thing I tried. Had the CPU out 3x by now, had the motherboard out too and took the covers off to 'have a look' (not much to see there) - also checked last night with my DSLR in high res if I could see any damaged pins, but I really cannot see anything wrong with it

- Kraken Cooler is tight, but not too tight, I just took it off and put it on quite loosely, but there's no difference apart from a bit higher temps with more thermal paste just to make sure there is enough (Noctua NT-H1)

- I tried your suggestion in with PCIe Clock Amplitude, from -5 to +5, but no luck there

- my 4770K needs 1.3v for 4.5 very stable, 4.6 never was really stable with 2400MHz, so I left it at 4.5GHz, for over a year now; I never tried to crazy OC it since 4.5GHz pretty much gets the job done. I played around with various things like system agent voltage, digital/analog voltage etc, but since I stay at 4.5GHz, cache 4.5GHz, with 2400MHz memory, I can pretty much leave everything auto apart from vcore, vcache, and memory at 1.65

I will get an Intel Pentium G3220 from a friend later this week from his home server to try out. Intel spec sheet says it can do PCIe 3.0 1x16 and 2x8, so that should be good enough to figure out if it's the cpu (I hope :))

Thanks!
k
ASUS Maximus VII Impact • Intel 4790K • 2x8GB Mushkin 997122R • Zotac 1080 Ti Mini • Samsung 970 Pro • Corsair SF 750 • NZXT Kraken X52 • NZXT H200i • Ducky Shine 5 • Logitech MX Performance • Logitech H800 • 2x Eizo EV2736W • Windows, Ubuntu