cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus gtx 980 strix new vbios?

F_1
Level 7
Hello,

Will ASUS release new vbios for displayport issue? I tried 344.80 but did not solve the problem.

As you may be aware, last week we released a new Geforce 344.80 Hotfix driver to deliver important bug fixes to our customers:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3607

This driver includes a fix for DisplayPort connectivity issues with certain monitors running on GeForce GTX 970/980 GPUs. Please give the above driver a try if you run into DisplayPort issues on your Geforce GTX 970/980 GPU. If the issue is not resolved with the driver above, check the video BIOS version of your graphics card through the NVIDIA Control Panel.

1) Launch the NVIDIA Control Panel
2) From the bottom left hand corner, select "System Information"
3) A new window will appear with information about your graphics card. Search for the video BIOS version. If the version number is older than 84.04.31.00.00, please contact your board manufacturer for an updated video BIOS update.

Please note: Before contacting your board manufacturer for a new video BIOS, we highly recommend you first test driver version 344.80 if you have not yet done so.
42 REPLIES 42

X-ROG
Level 15
What is your BIOS version please.

We are not shipping BIOS' prior to the version mentioned, so your board should not requier a vBIOS update.

Chino
Level 15
The Strix 980 ships with the 84.04.1F.00.xxxx vBIOS which was compiled sometime around September time. As Marshall has pointed out, the updated NVIDIA driver should solve your issues. If not, report back.

Chino wrote:
The Strix 980 ships with the 84.04.1F.00.xxxx vBIOS which was compiled sometime around September time. As Marshall has pointed out, the updated NVIDIA driver should solve your issues. If not, report back.

I'm puzzled here. 1F is less than 34, so version 84.04.1F.00.xxxx is older than 84.04.31.00.00.

So how exactly is the asus vbios new enough?

I have also suffered from a lot of sleep problems with my sli 980s so I'd really like to see the firmware updated asap. I hope the fact it has custom fan control doesn't mean that its difficult to update and hence won't happen.

Hello, I own one 980, and I still have the DisplayPort issue as well as fuzzy red lines.
I am quite disapointed to see nothing is done to fix it.

DanH wrote:
I'm puzzled here. 1F is less than 34, so version 84.04.1F.00.xxxx is older than 84.04.31.00.00.

Yes, it would be good to see an explanation of how the ASUS VBIOS is new enough when its version number appears to be older than the one that NVIDIA's driver note requires.

My ASUS card is 84.04.1f.00.b1, and I'm using a DVI connection to an ASUS monitor, although it identifies itself to the system as an Ancor Communications Inc PA246. According to the information I read that led me here, the problem is with 980 cards and several ASUS monitors, and isn't specific to the type of connection (so DisplayPort vs HDMI vs DVI doesn't make a difference).

F_1
Level 7
Hello,

My bios version "84.04.1F.00.49", i tried 344.80 driver but does not much help my monitor (Dell U2312HM) goes to sleep with displayport connection sometimes when i play COD:AW in addition to this bechmarking Unigine Heaven 4.0. I have to know is it driver or hardware related?

Thank you.

FlyingPenguinOF
Level 7
I am seeing this DisplayPort issue mentioned on several forums, and for many people the 344.80 driver does not seem to solve the problem. It's very hit or miss.

I have an ROG Swift PG278Q monitor (and loving it!) and would like to upgrade from a GTX 760 to an Asus Strix GTX 980, but am hesitant to drop the money until I hear confirmation that this DisplayPort issue is conclusively resolved.

Waiting with barely contained anticipation...

X-ROG
Level 15
Well, your BIOS doesn't require updating. Is it possible to try to use another digital connection on your Dell?

F_1
Level 7
Yea, i tried DVI connection but no help.

(I want to add a note: Before i purchase 980, this windows (Windows 8.1 Pro x64) used with R9 290 and STRIX 970 but i always used Display Driver Uninstaller before adding new card. Maybe i need to re-install windows?)

Thank you.