cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Extreme: Linux Mint Install..

djuplfit
Level 7
Trying to install Linux Mint, booting the latest version from a DVD that was burned today. However Mint never seems to make it to the log in screen/desktop etc. I have tried UEFI and regular booting both produce the same results..

I am seeing this:

It just sits there and does nothing once it reaches that point..

- Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge OC @4.6GHz - ASUS Maximus V EXTREME -
CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB @1600Mhz - EVGA GTX 780Ti Classified x2 SLI - OCZ Vertex 128GB SATA III SSD - Corsair Pro Series HX 1050 Watt PSU - COOLER MASTER HAF X - Swiftech H20-220 "Ultima HD" Liquid Cooling
2 REPLIES 2

djuplfit
Level 7
Nothing?

- Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge OC @4.6GHz - ASUS Maximus V EXTREME -
CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB @1600Mhz - EVGA GTX 780Ti Classified x2 SLI - OCZ Vertex 128GB SATA III SSD - Corsair Pro Series HX 1050 Watt PSU - COOLER MASTER HAF X - Swiftech H20-220 "Ultima HD" Liquid Cooling

2ndbase
Level 7
djuplfit wrote:
Trying to install Linux Mint, booting the latest version from a DVD that was burned today. However Mint never seems to make it to the log in screen/desktop etc. I have tried UEFI and regular booting both produce the same results..

It just sits there and does nothing once it reaches that point..

Hard to say as I do not run Mint but I do run Ubuntu. Its probably the NVIDIA video card that you have listed in your tag line. I've found that the default nouveau driver works fine for the installer but upon reboot it does not work well. You can see if switching over to TTY1 (CTRL + ALT + F1) allows you to login. What I ended up doing was running the NVIDIA binary drivers as they work well for me. In order to get the boot to work I installed the NVIDIA binary driver after the install finished but before rebooting. You'll have to chroot to your root partition to do this. After chrooting I just ran the NVIDIA .run binary. Also, I run UEFI and not BIOS so that could make a difference booting.

My setup is two RAID SSDs for root and two RAID HDs for var, tmp, etc. I use the ASUS UEFI booting on encrypted drives. This can be tricky if your graphics card is not working properly since it will sit there waiting for the password but you cannot see the prompt. Typing in the password and pressing enter blindly will still work. It will finish booting at which point you can switch over to TTY1 and fix any graphics issues. I think its better to handle it after install but before reboot since you can still see the screen.