cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G751 overclock screen refresh rate to 75hz+, quick and easy!

Richdog
Level 7
As a point of interest for some people, I easily managed to overclock my refresh rate to 75hz by setting a custom resolution in Nvidia control panel. I will see how much futher it can comfortably go later in the week, but has definitely led to a perceived increase in smoothness. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those 120hz maniacs, but I think it certainly doesn't hurt to give the 980m some legroom and increase gaming smoothness where possible, especially when it's as easy as a few clicks!

So yeah, just go into Nvidia control panel, set a custom resolution and refresh rate (start at 75hz and then go up maybe in 5hz increments from there), and enjoy! 🙂

EDIT - Here is a link to a Youtube video explaining how to do it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlERjmkBoHg
52 REPLIES 52

pit_ns
Level 8
Can that damage the screen? Are there any drawbacks to set it to 75hz?

If it can work at 75hz, why it doesn't use it by default?

pit_ns wrote:
Can that damage the screen? Are there any drawbacks to set it to 75hz?

If it can work at 75hz, why it doesn't use it by default?

Within a certain range it "should" be fine and non-harmful, but like any overclocking, you do this at your own risk, I take no responsibility for anything you do to your own machine. As for why it doesn't run at 75hz be default, well obviously this is because it is outside of the manufacturers default specifications. 🙂

Or it was beyond what Asus was willing to pay for panels rated at 75Hz. Regardless, ymmv. How much of an improvement did you notice? Back in the CRT days going from 60Hz to 75+ was very noticeable.

tului wrote:
Or it was beyond what Asus was willing to pay for panels rated at 75Hz. Regardless, ymmv. How much of an improvement did you notice? Back in the CRT days going from 60Hz to 75+ was very noticeable.

You're referencing different things. CRTs scanned one pixel at a time, left to right, top to bottom, whereas LCDs update the entire display at once. If you see it flickering it could be PWM backlight flicker, which can be offset sometimes by turning up the brightness.

It's less what we're willing to pay - for a gaming display of course we want to fit faster stuff as you - the TA - want to buy it. But IPS that RELIABLY run at over 60Hz are extremely few and far between. Like overclocking CPUs, you play the silicon lottery. You might be fine for a while, but it can degrade its life to some degree or you might get pixel inversion/color reproduction issues trying to refresh it too fast. To guarantee that as a feature is extremely difficult because every display we buy must produce the correct result, for the life of the device in ~3 years time. Part of what you pay for is that qualification of components.

CoryBee wrote:
Thank you for testing this. Please keep us posted if you notice any issues with this. Flickering or glowing or anything at all. Especially keep an eye out for "image persistence".

Also, how is the gaming at 100hz on the laptop compared?

Cheers!

I did a nintense Skyrim gaming session last night and zero problems whatsoever, seems 100% stable. Areas where I can get 100hz (interiors mainly) are super silky smooth vs 60hz... but then it is almost double the framerate!

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
You're referencing different things. CRTs scanned one pixel at a time, left to right, top to bottom, whereas LCDs update the entire display at once. If you see it flickering it could be PWM backlight flicker, which can be offset sometimes by turning up the brightness.

It's less what we're willing to pay - for a gaming display of course we want to fit faster stuff as you - the TA - want to buy it. But IPS that RELIABLY run at over 60Hz are extremely few and far between. Like overclocking CPUs, you play the silicon lottery. You might be fine for a while, but it can degrade its life to some degree or you might get pixel inversion/color reproduction issues trying to refresh it too fast. To guarantee that as a feature is extremely difficult because every display we buy must produce the correct result, for the life of the device in ~3 years time. Part of what you pay for is that qualification of components.

As far as I am concerned, ASUS have provided a 60hz IPS panel, which is within normal specifications for panels of this type. This panel has then now been seen to overclock reliably (thus far) to 100hz, giving us a speed comparable to 120hz TN monitors.

The fact the monitors are even capable of this 80% overclock mean that ASUS have nothing to apologise for within this specific instance (lots more to apologise for in other areas though), it's a great and unexpected situation. I have a 100hz IPS panel, woo!

Where I can overclock screen panel. I have had G75VW with 120HZ and now i have G751 with 60MHz. I would like at least 80Mhz. Post picture please.

viper3000 wrote:
Where I can overclock screen panel. I have had G75VW with 120HZ and now i have G751 with 60MHz. I would like at least 80Mhz. Post picture please.

Use Nvidia control panel to set a custom resolution. there are plenty of guides on the internet if you do a quick Google (so no need for me to re-write them), and if you are going to significantly adjust settings like this then I think it makes sense it is best to do a little research yourself so as to understand the potential impact of what you are doing. I may add a link in the OP to a guide. 🙂

EDIT - Here is a link to a Youtube video explaining how to do it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlERjmkBoHg

joshindaphils
Level 11
Got a 100Hz steady "OC" on my panel. Window and mouse movement is greatly enhanced. Appears as though not all games recognize the custom profile. Used Fraps and enabled v-sync to determine the refresh rate in game, Borderlands 2 gave 60FPS, though BioShock Infinite delivered 100FPS so it would seam that the benefit will depend on the game / engine used for now or Borderlands 2 has a hard 60FPS cap.

I have had no ill effects driving the panel at this rate. When I tried 110 and 120 hertz the panel went black and the testing / trial time didn't expire, had to reboot to get the screen back.

joshindaphils wrote:
Got a 100Hz steady "OC" on my panel. Window and mouse movement is greatly enhanced. Appears as though not all games recognize the custom profile. Used Fraps and enabled v-sync to determine the refresh rate in game, Borderlands 2 gave 60FPS, though BioShock Infinite delivered 100FPS so it would seam that the benefit will depend on the game / engine used for now or Borderlands 2 has a hard 60FPS cap.

I have had no ill effects driving the panel at this rate. When I tried 110 and 120 hertz the panel went black and the testing / trial time didn't expire, had to reboot to get the screen back.

Yeah, some games are simply hard-coded to specific refresh rates... in which case it just means you w ill get a steady 60 and no more. The fact you got to 100hz is VERY impressive! :eek:

Will test how far min egoes tonight. 😄