Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    26

    Quote Originally Posted by aeolisio View Post
    After searching these forums for a M.2 bracket I actually made a 3d printed M.2 bracket myself. Well i made 13 versions before i found one that was perfect but its on shapeways if anyone still needs one. It has an open top for heatsinks. It also leaves enough room for the 850 EVO to fit naked. With heatsinks attached i got an average 7 degree drop in crystaldiskmark with the SM951.
    http://shpws.me/J8lX

    Gr8 to know that, but, Nope I was asking about the connector itself on the MB, which is missing in my G751JT, which is kind of weired !!!


    Attachment 49682

    Attachment 49683

    Attachment 49684

    Can someone suggest whether it's possible to add the PCIe/M.2 Connector (there's open spot which clearly is for M.2, in Bay 1), not sure whether it's advisable. Someone in another thread mentioned it would cost more, but, my Q is whether it's possible to Add a M.2 connector in that spot, then I can try adding a M.2 drive in my JT.
    Last edited by jinishans; 08-11-2015 at 02:28 AM.

  2. #12
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    26

    Quote Originally Posted by jinishans View Post
    Gr8 to know that, but, Nope I was asking about the connector itself on the MB, which is missing in my G751JT, which is kind of weired !!!


    Attachment 49682

    Attachment 49683

    Attachment 49684

    Can someone suggest whether it's possible to add the PCIe/M.2 Connector (there's open spot which clearly is for M.2, in Bay 1), not sure whether it's advisable. Someone in another thread mentioned it would cost more, but, my Q is whether it's possible to Add a M.2 connector in that spot, then I can try adding a M.2 drive in my JT.
    Can anyone update on this after seeing above images I've posted. Is it possible to add a connector (there's an option), but not sure it'll void the warranty or I should do that ?

  3. #13
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Reputation
    17
    Posts
    612

    Quote Originally Posted by jinishans View Post
    Can anyone update on this after seeing above images I've posted. Is it possible to add a connector (there's an option), but not sure it'll void the warranty or I should do that ?
    No shop i can think of will solder a m.2 connector on that and any that will will not only void your warranty but be expensive. Some people have RMAed g751s that didnt have the connector and got lucky with new motherboards with connectors so that might be your best bet.
    3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio

  4. #14
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    26

    Quote Originally Posted by aeolisio View Post
    No shop i can think of will solder a m.2 connector on that and any that will will not only void your warranty but be expensive. Some people have RMAed g751s that didnt have the connector and got lucky with new motherboards with connectors so that might be your best bet.
    Ya, that was the answer I got from another thread. Thanks for confirming that and you quick response.

    I'll try to get an RMA to see they can replace my MB which has a M.2 port.

    Believe below is the link for the RMA.

    https://cms-am.asus.com/ecp/Rma.html
    Last edited by jinishans; 08-31-2015 at 11:13 PM.

  5. #15
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    2

    M.2 SSD Not Recognized in BIOS but is in Windows

    I bought the bracket for the G751JT - http://shpws.me/J8lX. Works great. I bought the Samsung SM951 512GB NVMe MZVPV512HDGL-00000 M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD - OEM.

    I cloned the C: drive with TODO EaseUS backup and also the EFI System Partition. I can see the drive in Windows and access files when booted to the 1TB spinner. The drive is not visible in BIOS. BIOS version is G751JT.210 8/10/2015, which is the latest. When I pull the spinner hard drive the laptop only boots to BIOS setup.

    Is there some setting in the BIOS so that it recognizes the SSD?

    In the attached image the F: drive is the SSD.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos Drives.jpg  


  6. #16
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Reputation
    17
    Posts
    612

    Quote Originally Posted by adsfewfaeff32fsdfds View Post
    I bought the bracket for the G751JT - http://shpws.me/J8lX. Works great. I bought the Samsung SM951 512GB NVMe MZVPV512HDGL-00000 M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD - OEM.

    I cloned the C: drive with TODO EaseUS backup and also the EFI System Partition. I can see the drive in Windows and access files when booted to the 1TB spinner. The drive is not visible in BIOS. BIOS version is G751JT.210 8/10/2015, which is the latest. When I pull the spinner hard drive the laptop only boots to BIOS setup.

    Is there some setting in the BIOS so that it recognizes the SSD?

    In the attached image the F: drive is the SSD.
    This is common when cloning a hdd to a ssd. Do a clean uefi install with a usb stick.
    The best and easiest guide is here
    https://www.ramcity.com.au/blog/how-...p941-ss/138296
    Post some pics of your m.2 bracket here if you can plz
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...and-heatsinked
    3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio

  7. #17
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    2

    Quote Originally Posted by aeolisio View Post
    This is common when cloning a hdd to a ssd. Do a clean uefi install with a usb stick.
    The best and easiest guide is here
    https://www.ramcity.com.au/blog/how-...p941-ss/138296
    Post some pics of your m.2 bracket here if you can plz
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...and-heatsinked
    Thanks for such a quick response. I do appreciate it and I hope it helps others

    Here's where I'm at. It still won't boot to the SSD and the BIOS does not recognize it. Steps I have taken:

    Used Rufus to transfer the Windows 10 ISO to a 16GB USB stick (recently purchased)
    Pulled the spinner drive
    Boot to USB stick and install Windows, first deleting all partitions on the SSD
    Windows installs without error
    Upon reboot the BIOS screen is displayed, SSD is not detected
    Reboot again and I get this message: Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key
    Reset BIOS to defaults
    Reinstalled Windows again, same result
    I then download and attempt to install the BIOS again (same latest version, 210), WinFlash won't allow reinstallation of same version of BIOS

    Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance.

    BTW, I will upload a pic of the tray and SSD. I don't have long enough screws to attach to the laptop so I am using scotch tape for now

  8. #18
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Reputation
    17
    Posts
    612

    Quote Originally Posted by adsfewfaeff32fsdfds View Post
    Thanks for such a quick response. I do appreciate it and I hope it helps others

    Here's where I'm at. It still won't boot to the SSD and the BIOS does not recognize it. Steps I have taken:

    Used Rufus to transfer the Windows 10 ISO to a 16GB USB stick (recently purchased)
    Pulled the spinner drive
    Boot to USB stick and install Windows, first deleting all partitions on the SSD
    Windows installs without error
    Upon reboot the BIOS screen is displayed, SSD is not detected
    Reboot again and I get this message: Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key
    Reset BIOS to defaults
    Reinstalled Windows again, same result
    I then download and attempt to install the BIOS again (same latest version, 210), WinFlash won't allow reinstallation of same version of BIOS

    Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance.

    BTW, I will upload a pic of the tray and SSD. I don't have long enough screws to attach to the laptop so I am using scotch tape for now
    Verify you purchased a AHCI sm951 and not a NVME one. It should start with with MZ-HPV not MZ-VPV. Also make sure you booted the usb as UEFI
    Last edited by aeolisio; 11-22-2015 at 10:02 PM.
    3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •