cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JT-CH71 Battery Charging Issue

D_Pain
Level 9
Hello, I've been playing with my laptop for about a week and I noticed that my battery was not getting charged even having it connected with the charger.
It says its plugged in but not charging.

I tried unplugging the charges and checking whether I mis-plugged it but that was not the issue. I also tried uninstalling the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery driver and re-installing it but that did not fix my issue.

How would I be able to fix it? Thanks.
18 REPLIES 18

hmscott
Level 12
D_Pain wrote:
Hello, I've been playing with my laptop for about a week and I noticed that my battery was not getting charged even having it connected with the charger.
It says its plugged in but not charging.

I tried unplugging the charges and checking whether I mis-plugged it but that was not the issue. I also tried uninstalling the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery driver and re-installing it but that did not fix my issue.

How would I be able to fix it? Thanks.

D_Pain, this is a common reaction to noticing this not charging behavior the first time 🙂

The charging circuit is maintaining the battery such that it lasts longer, setting the charge / discharge less than 100% is part of that conditioning.

Mine usually says somewhere in the range of 94% - 99% at any given time. It always says plugged in but not charging, rarely do I catch it saying it is charging. I am usually plugged in all the time. I run on battery about once a month, discharge to the first warning, then plug it back in.

Right now it does say 100%, but that is extremely rare, when I have answered this question before it has been somewhere in the high 90's%, this is the first time I have seen 100% 🙂

In short, it is working the way it is supposed to.

Wow thanks hmscott. I was afraid that I had to get my laptop fixed 😮
I'm glad to have a well functioning laptop.

Geminos
Level 7
Mine is new (only 2 weeks old) but the battery level is stuck at 4% and says "plugged in but not charging". What could be the problem?

Geminos wrote:
Mine is new (only 2 weeks old) but the battery level is stuck at 4% and says "plugged in but not charging". What could be the problem?

Geminos, holding at 4% is very unusual, it might be time to swap it for another one at the seller, but better do it quick, check your receipt to see how much time you have left to return it for a new one. Not charging is a good reason for a return - so if they try to charge you a re-stocking fee tell them no, you have cause for return / replacement.

Geminos wrote:

Just try a notebook reset before going for a return. The process would be like this: Restart Notebook --> When the RoG Logo Appears after boot screen PRESS&HOLD the power button for like 10 seconds until the battery led shuts off and starts blinking again ---> Power on the laptop and check if the battery is charging.

It is quite common in ASUS laptops to have this battery isue. But, as Hmscott said, if this doesn't work it may as well be a problem with the battery itself and then you should definitely return the laptop.

NitroX wrote:
Just try a notebook reset before going for a return. The process would be like this: Restart Notebook --> When the RoG Logo Appears after boot screen PRESS&HOLD the power button for like 10 seconds until the battery led shuts off and starts blinking again ---> Power on the laptop and check if the battery is charging.
It is quite common in ASUS laptops to have this battery isue. But, as Hmscott said, if this doesn't work it may as well be a problem with the battery itself and then you should definitely return the laptop.

NitroX, I was going to suggest doing a power reset, but he is right at the edge of return period, 2 weeks, and 4% is unusually low - I didn't want him to spend time testing only to find it is a recurring problem, and he has lost his ability to return to the seller.

KingJake
Level 7
Hi. Same problem, found charge was at 95% checked battery connections but quickly found laptop port not a compact fit, after 5 or 6 attempts charge to 100% resumed but beware of wear and tear constantly unplugging over time you may need to seek out a better port connector. Fortunately for me I already have a spare for if and when this happens. Bad battery port connection kinda kills the objective for a laptop.

KingJake wrote:
Hi. Same problem, found charge was at 95% checked battery connections but quickly found laptop port not a compact fit, after 5 or 6 attempts charge to 100% resumed but beware of wear and tear constantly unplugging over time you may need to seek out a better port connector. Fortunately for me I already have a spare for if and when this happens. Bad battery port connection kinda kills the objective for a laptop.

KingJake, you don't have the same problem, yours is working correctly as expected. The charging circuit is supposed to vary the charge level between about 93% and 100% to keep the battery conditioned, I rarely see 100%, right now it is at 96%.

Messing around with unplugging and replugging multiple times to force it to 100% from 95% isn't a good idea, beyond the physical wear on the connector.

All the ROG laptops vary the total charge when they are plugged in over long periods.

It is all part of extending the life of the battery, let it do its job 🙂

4% for an extended time indicates a problem.

Findermb
Level 7
Mine had the same problem... but instead of the plugged in and not charging was making the orange charging button goimg on and off... like charging and not charging... its not the charger because it sends the 19.5V stable and if the laptop port would be the problem it wouldnt hsve charge for the 2 days that was like that... now my batterry went empty because my power went off and now it would not charge with the laptop off and will not even turn on because the battery is empty... I was so happy with my laptop, but WTF, no replaceable battery and this issue... I will have to return the laptop and I do not live in a country with an asus autorized tech center.