cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 Imbalanced Sound Problem OFFICIAL SUPPORT THREAD (thread closed)

BRSxIgnition
Level 9
I've created this thread to condense the information we've gathered on this issue over the course of the old thread, which can be found here.

Current Fix Status:
Fix Here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57462-G751-Imbalanced-Sound-Problem-FIX-IS-OUT!

Current Probable Issue Diagnosis:
Regular Signal instead of LFE (Low Frequency Effects) Signal to Subwoofer

Description (In different states):
Installed Drivers (Main Issue):

All speakers "working", but WITH massive imbalance issue.Sub greatly overshadows L/R Speakers & also distorts at volumes above 35%. Can hear sound very faintly coming from L/R speakers with ear pressed up against them.

Uninstalled Drivers (Temporary Fix):

Subwoofer (Only) is default playback device, with L/R Speakers being listed as a separate playback device. Left and Right Speakers working at full volume when selected as default playback device, with no sound
coming from subwoofer. Subwoofer can play audio when selected as default device, but distorts at volume levels above 35%, and does not work in conjunction with rear speakers in this configuration. (Either/Or Situation)

Reinstalled Drivers (Main Issue, Again):

Same effect as "Installed Drivers" every time. (All speakers "working", but WITH the imbalance issue. Sub greatly outpowers L/R Speakers & also distorts at volumes above 35%. Can hear sound very faintly coming from L/R speakers with ear pressed up against them.)

**NEW** Subwoofer Disabled (New Finding/Confirmation):

L/R Speakers can be heard perfectly fine when Subwoofer is disabled using the "Vbcmd_mute_int_woofer" Mute.exe file provided by MarshallR@ASUS on the ROG Forums. Cannot comment on volume level, but volume seems to scale fine without the subwoofer to overshadow it. This confirms the situation is a software issue, and all speakers are physically fine.

This issue is known to arise both brand new "out of box" units as well as on units where the OS has been cloned or reinstalled on a new drive and the ASUS Support Site drivers have been used. All G751 Models can have this issue.

Temporary Fixes:
As mentioned in the description, the speakers still work fine, proving that the issue is Software, not Hardware-related.

To get your Left & Right back speakers working correctly, follow the temporary fix guides below.

**NEW** TEMPORARY FIX - DISABLE SUBWOOFER:

• Download and extract this RAR file.
  • Make sure you have the ASUS G751 Realtek Drivers installed. You can find them here.
  • Unzip Vbcmd_mute_int_woofer tool, and run Mute.exe.
  • If it returns a "Success!" message, your subwoofer should now be disabled.
  • If you ever need to enable your subwoofer again (when a fix is issued), simply unzip Vbcmd_unmute_int_woofer and run Unmute.exe.
  • Viola.

Enjoy your tinny-back speakers with no sub until we get a fix from ASUS. Until then, keep checking in here for updates, and let us know if you find anything!

Edit by cl-Albert 2/5/15: Very late thanks for looking into this and apologies for the delay, BRSxIgnition.
The new *.7432 G751 audio driver has finally been released, so this thread has been closed (to avoid 2 competing threads) and a new thread started.
If anybody is interested, please post your testing results or comments about this new audio driver at the post below. Thanks!

G751 Imbalanced Sound Problem FIX IS OUT!

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57462-G751-Imbalanced-Sound-Problem-FIX-IS-OUT!
633 REPLIES 633

ARX7Arbalest
Level 7
Model: ASUS G751JT-CH71

DUMP FILE (already sent to Marshall, for anyone who would like to start their own research or comparison):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22160168/RtHDDump.txt

Oddities I've found so far:
1. There are 2 Realtek HD Audio Managers when searching from Windows Start (Not sure if normal just found it odd).
2.When using RHDA Manager and plugging in Headphones in the 3 Analog ports; option for Front Left, Front Right, Center/Subwoofer along with Headphones popout.
3. There are options for Stereo, Quadsonic(?), and 5.1 Surrougnd but none for 2.1 in RHDA Manager.

BRSxIgnition
Level 9
Please PM (Private Message) the dump file to Marshall, that's the quickest way to get it to ASUS for them to look at it & use it to solve the issue.

geneticweapon
Level 7
What was the point in creating a another thread for this same issue we were already discussing?

geneticweapon wrote:
What was the point in creating a another thread for this same issue we were already discussing?

The other thread was filled with a lot of problem solving and babble to get where we are now, and was getting long. Now that I've condensed what we know into this page, it's easier to understand than going through 23+ pages of the old thread.

Also, the old thread stated it was a JT-CH71 issue, where we now know it affects all models.

joshindaphils
Level 11
Just to chime in with another me too on sound issues. My experience is the same as Geneticweapon's and others where I get sound out of all three speakers however it is completely dominated by monaural audio from the sub.

In fact at first I swore I had the sub only sound issue as described by others and even when pressing my ears against the top speakers; I wasn't sure that what I was hearing wasn't coming from the sub through the chassis. Only after adjusting the sound to full right channel and playing the test tones could I clearly distinguish sound from the top speakers with my ear as close as possible to it.

I would bet most if not all people having the sound through the sub only issue are actually experiencing the above mentioned issue. I had to turn the AC off and otherwise isolate myself from noise and do some critical listening to be certain I was accurately perceiving the sounds from the top speakers.

joshindaphils wrote:

I would bet most if not all people having the sound through the sub only issue are actually experiencing the above mentioned issue.

That's what I think also, I do not believe that there's multiple different sound problems. It's simply the fact that we're all perceiving the problem differently.

joshindaphils wrote:

In fact at first I swore I had the sub only sound issue as described by others and even when pressing my ears against the top speakers; I wasn't sure that what I was hearing wasn't coming from the sub through the chassis. Only after adjusting the sound to full right channel and playing the test tones could I clearly distinguish sound from the top speakers with my ear as close as possible to it.

geneticweapon wrote:
That's what I think also, I do not believe that there's multiple different sound problems. It's simply the fact that we're all perceiving the problem differently.

Can you be more specific about what you mean by "Full Right Channel"? We've tested all the balance options after installing drivers, and only "Front" has had any impact on the volume level. Everything else at 100% also outputs nothing if Front is at 0%.

Can you elaborate?

BRSxIgnition wrote:
Can you be more specific about what you mean by "Full Right Channel"? We've tested all the balance options after installing drivers, and only "Front" has had any impact on the volume level. Everything else at 100% also outputs nothing if Front is at 0%.

Can you elaborate?

In the Realtek HD Audio Manager there is a R/L balance slider. Move that all the way to the right. This does not effect the volume of the sub it only isolates the right channel making it easier to distinguish the sound as the right speaker is the furthest from the sub.

joshindaphils wrote:
In the Realtek HD Audio Manager there is a R/L balance slider. Move that all the way to the right. This does not effect the volume of the sub it only isolates the right channel making it easier to distinguish the sound as the right speaker is the furthest from the sub.

Yep, I agree. If I turn the left speaker down, and leave the right speaker turned up, it's extremely easy to hear sound from the right speaker.