Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

While I am one of the people with an extended warranty - it would be an absolute pain to return the machine then pick up a new one. (It would require I cross the border twice.) This is even worse for people who wont even be able to return their machine as soon as next week.

So yes, I agree that we ask that ASUS release a statement within the next 5 days - either that repairs will be FULLY covered for those with the issue or that a fix will be issued by Christmas.

Any less, and I will pledge to avoid buying ASUS in the future - after returning this machine of course. I cannot purchase a product what isn't checked thoroughly, and I cannot support a company that doesn't support its customers. (Both my technical inquiries got nowhere.)

I will test the "Right Balance" theory in about an hour or so, and post my results here.

PS: None of the above applies to you, MarshallR - I understand you are doing your best that you can do in your position. Please try and push for the above if possible, thank you very much in advance.
    Last edited by BRSxIgnition; 12-05-2014 at 02:42 AM.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by thamann2000 View Post
    We are truly in the 11th hour here. People without extended return policies are having to decide whether to keep or send back. No resolutions. No temp fixes. No official statement from asus. No promise of reparations. Just a wait and see.

We must speak in the only way this company understands. With our dollars. So I say we give asus five days to make an official statement, issued a fix, make an offer of reparation, or at least explain when we can expect a fis.

Anyone agree? Light the Fire.
    Not really... As someone that has has software delivery experience within large corps 2+ months turn around is realistic, any resolution would likely involve Asus and Realtek. Just look at the build time when you apply the latest BIOS and when it was posted for D/L it is nearly a month apart, now think about that, and this was to fix a far more critical issue; some USB HDDs failing to function properly on certain ports. In this example the final fix was created and when it was available to users is a ~month apart, there are good reasons that things take this long. On the other hand this speaker issue is not as critical... The sound works, it is not working as expected.

Honestly I am to the point that it may be working correctly it is just that the sound is totally underwhelming. Now frankly I consider sound from any laptop a last resort utilitarian feature, I have IEDs for traveling light, a portable DAC/Amp and some circumaurals for better sound and isolation, and a pair of monitors at my desk... if you care about sound you don't use ANY internal speaks this goes for TVs, Laptops, etc.
    Last edited by joshindaphils; 12-05-2014 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joshindaphils View Post

Honestly I am to the point that it may be working correctly it is just that the sound is totally underwhelming.
    The sound shouldn't be SO underwhelming that loading GENERIC Windows drivers - ON THE SAME SPEAKERS - make it sound better.

Quote Originally Posted by BRSxIgnition View Post
    The sound shouldn't be SO underwhelming that loading GENERIC Windows drivers - ON THE SAME SPEAKERS - make it sound better.
    To be fair I haven't done this to A/B test, just trying to put things in perspective... Certainly the sound can and should be better, it is however better sound than my last laptop, it is far from unusable.

To boot MarshallR has stated it is being worked on. Things take time, things don't always work out to arbitrary deadlines set by oneself.
    Last edited by joshindaphils; 12-05-2014 at 03:43 AM.

In the Realtek HD Audio Manager there is a R/L balance slider. Move that all the way to the right. This does not effect the volume of the sub it only isolates the right channel making it easier to distinguish the sound as the right speaker is the furthest from the sub.
    So... I've finally checked this, and after studying the results for a while - it seems like you're right.

All three speakers on my system work, but are immensely overshadowed by the subwoofer, to the point that I need to place my right ear up against my right speakers to hear them at all, with all the balance set to the right. When I listened carefully on medium balance (neither left nor right), I could hear sound out of both speakers in the back, but both were incredibly hard to hear, and I needed to push my ear against both to hear any of them, again, mainly because of the difference in volume because of the subwoofer.

Finally, I tried it with sound balance "All Left" and guess what? Left signals got pushed through the left speaker and subwoofer, but no right signal was heard. (The same occurred with using an "All Right" setup, but with the right speaker and no left signal was heard.)

To summarize, our issues are now this, as far as I'm concerned:
    • Sound plays through back speakers at about 30% (or lower) of the volume of the subwoofer.
    • The subwoofer receives the left and right signals, when it should not.
    • It is unknown if the subwoofer is receiving its own signal or not. (It is muddled in with the others)
    • None of the playback device settings change anything other than "Front" which adjusts all volume.

Any confirmation/debunking of these findings from others is greatly welcomed.

.... So what now?
    Last edited by BRSxIgnition; 12-05-2014 at 04:13 AM.

.... So what now?
    Update MarshallR / Asus support with the correct information as several reports including yours of sub only sound could be leading the remediation team down the wrong rabbit hole.

Update your first post / title.

Occasionally pushing MarshellR and support for remediation / feedback.

Decide if you can wait it out for a fix or not.

Your findings are in line with mine.

Decide if you can wait it out for a fix or not.

Your findings are in line with mine.
    Alright, I've updated the thread and asked for a title change.

The first month of having this issue is 2 weeks away, I hope they have a stance on complimentary repairs or a date for the fix by then. (That's about all the time we have for those who got a G751JT on release without an extended warranty.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Not really... As someone that has has software delivery experience within large corps 2+ months turn around is realistic, any resolution would likely involve Asus and Realtek. Just look at the build time when you apply the latest BIOS and when it was posted for D/L it is nearly a month apart, now think about that, and this was to fix a far more critical issue; some USB HDDs failing to function properly on certain ports. In this example the final fix was created and when it was available to users is a ~month apart, there are good reasons that things take this long. On the other hand this speaker issue is not as critical... The sound works, it is not working as expected.

Honestly I am to the point that it may be working correctly it is just that the sound is totally underwhelming. Now frankly I consider sound from any laptop a last resort utilitarian feature, I have IEDs for traveling light, a portable DAC/Amp and some circumaurals for better sound and isolation, and a pair of monitors at my desk... if you care about sound you don't use ANY internal speaks this goes for TVs, Laptops, etc.
    Your setup and situation is totally unique. And you missed one of the key issues completed: proper testing would've eliminated the issue completely. Testing just 10 out of1000 systems would've showed them that this issue is present across the board. And how long did it take for them to acknowledge the issue. Do you know how many people told me and other users that this issue was just in our machines even after telling them that I made a return and tested a second one. And there's been no official word or response from asus at all. Me and many others have escalated emailed hit multiple message boards and the extent of acknowledgement was Marshall and hmscott saying to give it time. But man, contact asus and the first thing they tell you is that they are not able to do anything for the multitude of customers to make it right. So a company doesn't acknowledge the issue, then they provide no release or info on a fix, they don't respond properly to escalations, they tell you that even when fixed they will do nothing as reparation, and tell you to wait and hope they can fix it? How are they even in business? The only way you send a message to a company with service this poor is with your $$$ and by returning their products. If we don't start pushing they will take their sweet time and nothing will get done.

ROG Member Array

Just received my g751jt yesterday and I thought based on the posts that I had avoided the subwoofer issue, but it looks like its the same issue everyone is experiencing.
    I can confirm that my machine behaves the exact same way yours is. When running default Windows sound dialog, by default my Speakers are set to Realtek Hi Def Audio, and when running the test chime, I hear left/right chimes distinctly coming out of the right/left speakers but also out of the subwoofer at the same time for both.
    Playing with the balance settings, I can mute the left/right channels individually, but the subwoofer levels slider has zero affect on the subwoofer.

If I right click -> Configure speakers, and choose 5.1 surround, I can selectively produce a chime from the L/R speakers. However, clicking on the subwoofer icon only causes the subwoofer speaker make distinct "on" and "off" sounds, but no other audio.

I did find out today that setting Audio Wizard's setting to "Off" gets rid of the annoying tinny sound the machine ships with. I have no idea why the machine would ship with the default of "multimedia" which looks like it clamps the max volume while cranking up the treble.

So... I've finally checked this, and after studying the results for a while - it seems like you're right.

To summarize, our issues are now this, as far as I'm concerned:
    • Sound plays through back speakers at about 30% (or lower) of the volume of the subwoofer.
    • The subwoofer receives the left and right signals, when it should not.
    • It is unknown if the subwoofer is receiving its own signal or not. (It is muddled in with the others)
    • None of the playback device settings change anything other than "Front" which adjusts all volume.

It all makes sense.
    I have other gaming laptop from MSI that has subwoofer.
    At MSI case, the design with subwoofer is simple.
    Subwoofer ALWAYS combines the sound ONLY from L/R channels and at any circumstances.
    So when it is 2.1, it combines channels L and R. But when it is 5.1 it STILL combines sound ONLY from L/R. So laptop’s sub is NOT the separate channel x.1 !
    And it is still OK if you understand how it works… and only if you can swith-off the sub!
    At MSI case you can always switch-off laptop’s sub BUT NOT using Realtec HD Audio interface… It is possible ONLY with the DEDICATED physical button located at the laptop’s case! So MSI avoided the problem/design flaw… by adding this button. Also MSI sub is located to the left side, so once it plays the music the sound balance is shifted to the left.

NOT sure it is possible to have this button equivalent available as software… I do not have G751, just planning to buy.
    Last edited by Sanctrum; 12-05-2014 at 09:57 AM. Reason: typo

Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast