cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling the fan on a g56jk-dm156d

cremvursi
Level 7
Installed ASUS GPU Tweak but can't find any fan slider/option. What should I do?

Being able to manually set it to max/default would be great, as I noticed it gets quite hot when I'm streaming something over on twitch.
16 REPLIES 16

cremvursi
Level 7
Really no one has any idea?

My CPU is getting some pretty high temps, even with a hefty cooler stand underneath it.

beatc
Level 7
what is your gputweak version?

cremvursi
Level 7
I've tried both with the last version (2.7.1.8) and with 1.0.6 or something (some1 mentioned it in here). No luck though 😞

cremvursi wrote:
I've tried both with the last version (2.7.1.8) and with 1.0.6 or something (some1 mentioned it in here). No luck though 😞

cremvursi, the 2.7 series is for the non-Optimus laptops. The one you want is the Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops, the 1.0.6 version you found, but currently the latest version is 1.0.9, here:

Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops, currently at release v1.0.9 for the G750JS/JM/JZ and other new ROG laptops with Optimus
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ASUS+GPU+Tweak+for+Laptops&hashedid=n%2fa

Give that a try, someone else recently tried it and they got the Full Fan control option 🙂

Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops vs Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?45644-Asus-GPU-Tweak-for-Laptops-vs-Asus-GPU-Tweak-for-Grap...

cremvursi
Level 7
Still no luck...

cremvursi wrote:
Still no luck...

cremvursi, if the Full Fan option doesn't show up, and it is an Optimus laptop, then that option isn't supported on that laptop.

You don't really want to be manually toggling On/Off screaming fan mode anyway.

What is hwinfo logfile showing for average / peak temps under gaming for the CPU/GPU?

cremvursi
Level 7
My GPU Tweak is something like this. Toggling GPU on full speed does nothing, it still shows 500 RPM (also can't feel any difference, no increased sound made by the fan or anything).

Max temp on CPU when streaming was something like 87 I think. No thermal throttle occured.

cremvursi wrote:
My GPU Tweak is something like this. Toggling GPU on full speed does nothing, it still shows 500 RPM (also can't feel any difference, no increased sound made by the fan or anything).

Max temp on CPU when streaming was something like 87 I think. No thermal throttle occured.

cremvursi, the Asus GPU Tweak for GPU has worked on some other models than G75JM/JS/JZ, but if the Full Fan control isn't working then at least that feature isn't supported on your g56jk-dm156d.

You can use Windows Snipping Tool to grab a shot of your actual dialog, so we can see what it says.

Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-snipping-tool-capture-screen-shots#1TC=windows-8

If your laptop didn't come with Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops, it is worth trying, but it isn't guaranteed to work. The Optimus laptops can't use the normal Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics cards, which works pretty much on all ROG Laptops except for the ones with Optimus.

On the laptops without Full Fan control feature, it will automatically run the fan as fast as it will run as needed. If your GPU fan isn't running at full speed it is because it isn't running hot enough to need full fan speed.

If you need to hear the limits of fan function, you can run prime95 small FFT test and Furmark Burnin 15 minute test to run up the CPU fan and GPU fan respectively.

Asus sets their fan curve to run the fan at low speeds to stay quiet, but keeps the CPU/GPU cool enough for normal operation. You won't have the fan noise intrude until the CPU or GPU get hot enough to require the additional cooling.

Nothing to worry about.

You can use hwinfo64 and turn on logging to create a .csv file you can read later in Excel to see the minute (or 2 minute) by minute reading for temperatures (and other data) - look for Thermal Throttling (changes from No to Yes) that is the point where performance is affected as the CPU throttles itself for protection against high temperature. Likely as not peak Termperature readings only happen occasionally - the rest of the time the temperatures will be in the 70c-80c range.

Please do come back and let us know how your laptop does with prime95 small fft test and furmark burning test - you only need to run them for 5 minutes - together or independently - to get a good max temperature reading - no sense running them for longer than 15 minutes.

Have fun 🙂

beatc
Level 7
that gpu tweak only supports the latest g750 series though i may be wrong about this. Have you used the overclock option? If yes, then do you see any changes in fps when playing games with and without overclock turn on?