Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Installing Linux Mint on G751JY?

I'm trying to dual boot with Linux Mint but haven't had much luck so far.

I've got the bootable USB disk, and can boot from it and see the first screen. But as soon as the installation starts, there's a crash (kernel panic) without any specific error message.

Did anybody managed to install Linux Mint (or maybe some other distro) on this laptop?
    Last edited by lau22; 12-04-2014 at 09:34 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

So do you at least get to see the GRUB screen? or do you also not get that screen?

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Dr. Zchivago PC Specs
    Dr. Zchivago PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Lenovo Thinkpad T410
    MotherboardASUS Crosshair V Formula - Z
    ProcessorAMD FX 9590
    Memory (part number)BLE2KIT8G3D1869DE1TX0 (8-8-8-24, 1866 MHz)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS R9 390 STRIX (OC, GAMING)
    Storage #1SG Constellation 6 TB (6x1 TB) RAID 0
    Storage #2SG Constellation 2 TB (2x2 TB) RAID 1
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15
    CaseCaseLabs STH-10
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i
    Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4
    Mouse Microsoft Sidewinder X5
    Headset Logitech G930
    Mouse Pad Perixx 900x440x3 mm + Steelseries 320x270x3 mm + ALLSOP hard pad
    Headset/Speakers Logitech G930/Altec Lansing 5.1
    OS Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)

I have had success with Ubuntu 12.04/13.10 and with Mint, but on a G55VW.

It looks to me like you may have a bad image - try downloading an entirely new image from the Mint website and UUI your flash drive again.

Z
    Resistance is futile (at <1 Ohm).

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by D_Pain View Post
    So do you at least get to see the GRUB screen? or do you also not get that screen?
    I can see the GRUB screen. After that I've tried both "Integrity check" and "Start Linux Mint" and both give this kernel panic error.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Zchivago View Post

It looks to me like you may have a bad image - try downloading an entirely new image from the Mint website and UUI your flash drive again.

Z
    I've downloaded it very recently, but I'll try downloading it again just to be sure.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I haven't installed Mint but I have installed Ubuntu. After the GRUB screen I just got a blank screen. I googled it and found out that my G751JT's open source driver was not compatible so I had to change the "quiet splash" parameter to "nomodeset". That fixed the problem for me. Probably your issue might also be caused by the open source graphics card driver.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Zchivago View Post

Z
    Well you were right, it turns out that my disk image was corrupted. I've downloaded it again and now it works.

I'm getting another problem now is that Linux Mint doesn't detect my partitions properly. On the SDD drive, I have a Windows partition (100GB) and I've prepared a Linux one (120GB), but when I start installing Linux Mint, it only sees a 256GB partition.

I've read that I might need to boot the USB drive in UEFI mode, but I can't find out how to do this. If I disable CMS in the bios, I can't boot the USB. If I enable it, I can but then I guess I'm in non-UEFI mode anymore. Any idea, how to boot in UEFI mode?

ROG Enthusiast Array

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...4-04-in-G751JT

I wrote a guide how to dual-boot Ubuntu in G751JT. Step4 shows how to get into UEFI and change that you can boot using a USB.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by D_Pain View Post
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...4-04-in-G751JT

I wrote a guide how to dual-boot Ubuntu in G751JT. Step4 shows how to get into UEFI and change that you can boot using a USB.
    Thanks, I gave that a try but I'm not seeing the UEFI settings. If I shift-click on Restart, there's only three options under Troubleshoot: Refresh your PC, Reset your PC and Advanced Options (didn't find it under Advanced Options either). I'm probably missing something here but not sure what.

If it makes any difference, I broke all my partitions at some point and had to manually re-install Windows 8.1 from an ISO. Not sure if that would change something to the UEFI settings.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Depending on the Version of Windows8 I think that option does not show up. If so, you have to click probably F2 or delete or ESC immediately when you boot your laptop. What button you have to click depends on your laptop model.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast