cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The inside of a G75VX and it's broken MXM GTX 670MX

rakista88
Level 7
UPDATED: It is now Fully Functional Again! Haha Read comments below. 😄

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I decided to open my G75VX and tear it down to look at the hardware itself. My display is not working. I already have changed the thermal compound and have re-seated the mxm chip itself but no luck.

The display is still not turning on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. On my own findings, I can conclude that the GPU is the broken hardware or the GPU socket itself)..... I do not know where to buy a spare graphics card for this.... So I'll just go to a service center and see if they can check my laptop itself.... Of save up and BUY A NEW LAPTOP 😞

These pictures can serve as a guide for other people who have no idea on what the inside of a G75VX looks like.

ASUS ROG G75VX (Windows 8.1)
Intel® Core™ i7 3630QM Processor
17.3" Full HD 3D (1920x1080) LED Backlight
DR3 1600 MHz SDRAM 12GB
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 670MX with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM
3 REPLIES 3

code9523
Level 9
Check all cables connections specially the LCD cabel should sit on connector with click! Try to assemble all together and connect a monitor by HDMI or VGA port to your laptop! (try to start it without HDD or SSD it automaticly will lauch bios) If there will be no picture on it the problem could be with GPU but if you will see picture then the connector could worn out.
Asus G74SX> Asus G55VW 3D> Asus G75VW 3D> Asus G750JW> Asus G750JX> Asus G750JH

code9523 wrote:
Check all cables connections specially the LCD cabel should sit on connector with click! Try to assemble all together and connect a monitor by HDMI or VGA port to your laptop! (try to start it without HDD or SSD it automaticly will lauch bios) If there will be no picture on it the problem could be with GPU but if you will see picture then the connector could worn out.

Thanks bro, I have tried that procedure as well. But still no luck.
I got the laptop checked and yeah, the GPU is DEAD. But They will try to re-ball it and see what will happen. I'm still hoping they get the job done right.

Here (Philippines) it costs about 2,500-5,000php to get it reballed. If I buy and import a new ASUS Custom 670MX MXM, It would cost me around 15k. Im placing my bets on the reballing though haha.

I'm really disappointed in ASUS G75VX. This is my first gaming laptop and it failed me (should've done a bit more reaserch before purchasing it. . You can't even upgrade the GPU because of the custom designed MXM.
DR3 1600 MHz SDRAM 12GB

rakista88
Level 7
AWWWWW YEAAAAAAH! My ASUS ROG G75VX is fully functional again! 😄 I took this to a repair shop and they checked every part and discovered that the GPU is the faulty one. They had to REFLOW it. And BY THE GODS it worked! Everything is back to normal again 😄

Since my GTX 670MX is already reflowed, they told me that I should have a yearly maintenance of the thermal paste.

I thought it was over for my ROG.... But its a fighter!
DR3 1600 MHz SDRAM 12GB