cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The things you dislike about the G71

Zenite
Level 7

• Gaming centre button: Why this is where NUM lock should be is the obvious question. Why not put it next to all the m1m2m3 buttons? or use a fn combo for it, or....... don't add it at all!
  • Num Lock button : It requires the fn key to be used? This is so slow and cumbersome, and damn right insane.
  • Brightness buttons : Why would you put them on F5 and F6 on a full size keyboard? Use F1 and F2 (where the pointless sleep and airplane modes are) if it has to be on F-keys, so one hand can be used by one hand combos.
  • Audio Buttons : Same as brightness buttons, even better stick them as additional buttons near M1M2M3 or down the side of the keypad
  • FN+V combo : SO FECKING ANNOYING. Because CTRL and FN buttons are the wrong way around, which stretches the little finger during ctrl+c/v, I keep hitting fn+v which loads up some crap video/web cam that I have no intention of ever using.
  • Tab light : Why would you put the light on the tab button, which is covered by my left hand during typing! I can not see it!
  • Steam Button : WTF is this crap? What gamer doesn't start steam automatically, or more to the point, who ever uses full screen!
  • No mapping support : There appears to be NO SUPPORT to remap any of this crap layout.

The spec of the machine is great, it runs so well, but the end user experience is pish-poor because some numbnutts tried to be creative with a keyboard, the most important contact point between user and computer! For $3000 I expect MUCH more support to remap these keys.

I would also expect much great details, and ease, of replacing the pointless optical drive (really? optical drive? very 1999) by simply sliding it out, and replacing it with a caddy+hdd. But no, look all over this forum and there is mass confusion how to change the drive.

Model = the JY (32gb ram)
6 REPLIES 6

viper3000
Level 7
I agree with Zenite. I would like change STEAM BUTTON. Please ASUS rework BIOS for change this button.
A also NUM LOCK. i don't want use FN+NUM. I want NUM BUTTON. Please ASUS rework.

fidelity101
Level 7
I spent 2 days playing with the G750JZ before taking it back and getting the G751JY and I'm really glad I did. I know the "added" keyboard buttons are annoying and it would be REALLY nice to be able to change them, but I really like the red backlit keyboard over the white backlit keyboard on the 750. The performance is obviously better as well. The only minor drawbacks I've seen to date are the decrease in audio quality and the inferior internal wireless controller. I liked the killer network card on the 750!

For some reason, my download speeds are "ok" on the 2.4ghz range (around 11MB/s) while the 5ghz speeds are closer to 50MB/s.

Hopefully newer drivers will be able to fix the sound issues, wireless speed issues and customized button issues...then this laptop will be a 10 out of 10.

joshindaphils
Level 11
Zenite wrote:

5. FN+V combo : SO FECKING ANNOYING. Because CTRL and FN buttons are the wrong way around, which stretches the little finger during ctrl+c/v, I keep hitting fn+v which loads up some crap video/web cam that I have no intention of ever using.

Whoa! No way man you went off the rails there 😛 Every qwerty keyboard known to man before FN keys came about has control as a fat key in the lower left. To place the FN key there is straight up sacrilege an nothing more! I'm sorry you have had your muscle memory corrupted by some crazy diabolical keyboard layout, but don't foist that on those that don't like to be annoyed by the disdain of decades of muscle memory! Even Lenovo acknowledged this after defiling their KB layout with a BIOS option to swap the keys. A feature more vendors should emulate IMO.

Everything else could really be addressed with the ability to remap the keys, personally I could not care less as to where the function keys reside as I rarely use them. Don't understand your point 6...

joshindaphils wrote:
Whoa! No way man you went off the rails there 😛

>x3 ❤️

I hopes to get a G751 myself sometime, a JY version with the beautiful 980m :3

I myself umm.. well.... yeah, I don't understand the extra keys, HONESTLY I don't know why they can't just make.. like, a whole 'nother row above the F# line or to the left of the keyboard to make our own little macro keys. But hey no point for me I guess since I already use a Razer Naga. ;d

I honestly love the new body, especially the metal plate on the lid, the G750's lids are too soft in my opinion, the metal plate is a nice 'armor'.

My dislikes for the audio and USBs would not be real dislikes, as they're bugs and technical issues which soon will be rectified. (Hopefully). I'm excited still, for my G751JY if I ever can find a hot deal for one somewhere.

joshindaphils wrote:
Don't understand your point 6...

The Caps lock Key

MokiCzech
Level 7
Everything you said is spot-on (except the FN which is fine imo). Also, fix the damn USB ports, it is $2000 laptop.

WoodburyMan
Level 7
Speakers - For $2200+ I should have decent speakers. The sub, I don't care about. The two regular stereo speakers are better heard from behind the machine, as the sound mostly comes out the rear vents. I would like speakers on the top side of the laptop aiming towards me.

I was never a full "Mac" fan, but did own a 2012 MacBook Pro Retina. By far the best sound quality on any laptop I have seen.