cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Won't start up normally, continuous on/off loop[ video included]

Inperatrix
Level 7
Hello, I just starting having this issue this morning once I turned my computer back on as it auto turned off last night as I feel asleep. It will keep doing this and if I'm lucky it will turn on after a # of loops. On one of the times it did turn on the computer prompted me to do a system refresh or wipe so opted in to doing the refresh which completed. Then as I was attempting to re install drivers after that it continued with the issue. I have tried removing ram sticks to just a single stick in the correct slot, as well as re seat all the power cables which allowed me to. All the wires look to be connected fine. I find this issue odd as it happened a week + after I built this and it started while I was just browsing the web as well as the fact that it will fully turn on at a point. [ parts list / still photos of build http://imgur.com/a/lh3XI ] Video [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlKkuIjEGBY ] 90% of the time the computer will not actually start up as in the video but keep going in the loop.
13 REPLIES 13

Inperatrix
Level 7
Bump-

Tokens210
Level 10
Are u running anything over clocked?

If you unplug the power from the second card does it boot like normal??

Only reason I ask is cause a quick google search showed the 970 series of cards requires like 30-40 amp per cards and that PSU only has 1 real 12v rail and 5 virtual ones with a max amp output of 71 amps when the PSU is under 100% load
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Started the pc again the the second card unplugged ( or did you want it fully removed) and the same issue occurred. And currently nothing is OC'd and it has 4x4gb 1866 sticks.

Inperatrix
Level 7
I have never messed with overcloking before so that part would be a no. And I just find it weird for this issue to appear out of nowhere as the whole system was working fine for about a week since I built it.

Edit: Also on two other forums one told me the psu is faulty and should be rma'd and the other one is currently telling me the clear the cmos which I have no idea how to do on this board.

Tokens210
Level 10
Clear CMOS is a button on the back I/O panel

The power supply was what I was leaning towards and saying above, i dont have those cards or psu so all i could do was google and make a guess off that but if the power supply needed to run at 100% load just to power the cards it would eventually end up probly causing something to break

I saw ppl all over the place with those cards tho, according to MSI they require 145watts each all the time and 30-40 amps on the rail supplying them, then I saw probly 3 or 4 threads saying they actually require 500watt supply minimum for a single card, but then I saw another couple threads saying 2 can run on a 850+ power supply as long as the 12v rails have 40+ amps, they were all over the place with it lol

Most user consider the power supply among the most important parts, if something in it goes bad or if its faulty it can effect other parts

That's why I was suggesting trying to boot with a single card, if the power supply was to loaded it would probly boot no problem, if the supplies faulty tho it would be a toss up

I was just able to get my WiFi to connect and watch ur video, I also see u got q-code 00 which is usually 1-2 things from the majority of what I've seen

1. Bent pin in the CPU socket
2. CPU itself being overloaded, I usually only see this when ppl are maxing the ram out with high speeds and running sli with things overclocked

If u recently installed ram or installed that cooler or anything you may also have uneven pressure on the CPU or the cooler maybe to tight or to loose, if you haven't done anything in that area that shouldn't be the issue, something like the cooler being to tight or loose usually causes immediate issues and usually doesn't just pop up
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Inperatrix
Level 7
And not sure how a pin would randomly get bent a week into using it 😕

Inperatrix
Level 7
It looks as if it may be a mobo issue if anyone would like to catch up with what was discussed so far and would like to jump in a possibly assist / pin point the issue here is the link [http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/264247-pc-wont-start-up-normally-continuous-onoff-loop-video-inc... ] and if you would like to continue here I would be more than happy to take advice / options.

NemesisChild
Level 12
I'm leaning towards a short or the PSU or possibly a defective mobo.
This is assuming that you tried all memory troubleshooting steps, including running memtest on each stick individually.
The AX860i should be fine for even modestly overclocked twin 970's.

Here's the steps that I would take myself:

1.) Remove the mobo from the case place it on the mobo box, test each component individually
2.) Check closely for bent or missing pins in the CPU socket
3.) Swap out the AX860i for a know working, higher wattage PSU
4.) Test each 970 in each PCIe slot individually, if it persists, test each in another PC

If the components all test to be in working order, then you're pretty much pointing to a defective mobo.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:
I'm leaning towards a short or the PSU or possibly a defective mobo.
This is assuming that you tried all memory troubleshooting steps, including running memtest on each stick individually.
The AX860i should be fine for even modestly overclocked twin 970's.

Here's the steps that I would take myself:

1.) Remove the mobo from the case place it on the mobo box, test each component individually
2.) Check closely for bent or missing pins in the CPU socket
3.) Swap out the AX860i for a know working, higher wattage PSU
4.) Test each 970 in each PCIe slot individually, if it persists, test each in another PC

If the components all test to be in working order, then you're pretty much pointing to a defective mobo.

I feel as if it may be the mobo as I feel like an issue with a bent pin would have appeared a lot earlier on, I have tested the board essential with the minimal required items on it to start( check my previous post and read that forum post if you have the time). I really cannot swap out my psu for a different one w/o rma'ing with newegg or corsair. I have put a few different sticks in and ran memtest ( if you mean the on board button). If there is anything else you would like me to try please do I will try pretty much anything 😕