cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Random] Computer randomly does not boot to windows - Solved

LeviathanPT
Level 10
I have a 5960X working on a Rampage V and since the beginning i'm having a lot of difficulties with it, randomly the PC won't start and gets stuck on either Q-Code 92 or 79, if i keep attempting to boot (turn off and on constantly) eventually it will work but the network card will display a driver issue (error code 10) which forces me to disable it in the device manager and enable again. This issue is mostly noticeable on 1st boot or during restarts, sometimes it works fine for 5 days in a row.
I've tried unplugging all the USB devices and no luck, resetting cmos and left everything default, updated to latest bios 802 with no luck, my interest is not OC it's just to get it stable (even thou i would love to be able to OC it to 4Ghz) since it's my work computer.

So here's my system:
* CPU: Intel i7-5960X
* CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 (using CPU fan connector, only have 1 more fan connected to mobo)
* Motherboard: Rampage V Extreme
* Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x4GB 2800Mhz (on red slots)
* GPU: 2x EVGA SC GTX780 (using a 3-sli adapter, one of the cars was recently added, Issues were there already, using PCI-E 1 and 3)
* Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster Zx (on the last PCI-E slot)
* PSU: Corsair AX1500i with the Link cable
* OS HDD: Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256GB
* Other HDD: 2 Western Digital (2 & 4TB) + 1 Samsung (1GB)
* Drive: Asus BD-RW
* Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry LXE

Peripherals:
* Monitor's: Benq XL2430T (DP) + Panasonic Plasma TV (HDMI)
* Keyboard: Steelseries 7G (PS/2)
* Mouse: Cougar 700M (recently acquired, problem already persisted, USB)
* Controllers: Fanatec Wheel + Fanatec Pedals (both USB)
* Others: 1x 4 ports USB Hub (from my monitor stand), 1x Lightpack (USB), 1x Oculus DK2 (USB+HDMI)

The OS i'm using is a legit version of Windows 8.1 x64, updated to the latest.
Bios changes i have: Disabled Onboard Souncard, Disabled WIFI and Bluetooth, Disabled CSM (wrecked my first installment of Windows, or at least i suspect it was that).

I have experience assembling computers but i've jumped straight from a Rampage II Extreme (i've set up) to this so i never had seen a UEFI bios prior to this time. The time i have to be reading about this or to check which are the right voltages is limited, currently everything is on auto/default but i believe the issues lies there, something is messing it up. If someone could share with me their UEFI screens i could probably attempt their settings to see which could be causing this.

Thanks in advance,

Note: The error 10 on the network card is present 100% of the time recently.
10 REPLIES 10

Raja
Level 13
See if it still halts when you unplug the DP cable. If it does not you may have a DP cable that is leaking DC.

LeviathanPT
Level 10
The DP cable is recent, previously i used a DVI and it did the same. But i'll attempt to check the hdmi going into my tv to see if it might be it, thanks.

Raja
Level 13
Use defaults for DRAM as well - 2133, no XMP.

LeviathanPT
Level 10
I think i've fixed it, increased my vcore to 1.3 and so far it has been booting without any issues. The Code 79 still shows up during reboot but disappears after 3 or 5 min.

I will test this for a few more days and report back.

simfreak101
Level 7
I actually have the exact same issue as you; Open a support case.
I have opened about 3 cases with Asus on it; There seems to be issues between the 1st PCIe slot and the 4th.
If you go into the bios under GPU post; Does it say there is nothing in slot 1 while there is a GPU in slot 4?

This is what is happening on mine; I eventually disabled the 1st slot; I still get code 79 for about 3 minutes, but at least the system boots more consistently.
Before if I had all 4 slots populate I could get it to boot maybe 1 out of 20 times; the other 19 it would get to the windows screen and then the screen would change colors and not go any further.
Its not the card because as soon as I disable the card in slot 4, all 3 GPU's come up with out issue. But since slot 4 is my RAID card, I just run with slot 1 disabled;

Also it seems like the computer almost needs to 'warm up' in order for it to boot into windows; So that might explain why it works with changing the vcore voltage made a difference. But I don't think this is a RAM issue; it think its specifically a memory mapping issue and perhaps a PCIe lane mapping issue.

LeviathanPT
Level 10
Hey thanks for the feedback simfreak, actually it detects all cards (GPUs+Zx) on the GPU post, but i believe you're right with the PCIe mapping issue.

I'm on vacations so i'll be able to mess with this a bit more and learn how these UEFi exactly work, my next steps will be:
1- to move the Zx from PCIe x8_4 (3.0) to the PCI x4_1(2.0) so clear up the shared bw with the M.2, it will disable my Sata Express_E1 but i'm not using it
2- attempt to force 1.2v on the memories to avoid having the energy saving options messing with it, i think this might solve the error 79
3- look the web for info on how to get it to 4.0Ghz stable
4- will re-open the case completely, recheck wirings and remove the H100 for a Kraken X61
5- Reinstall OS if the system remains stable.

If anyone with a 5960x on a Rampage V wouldn't mind sharing their bios screens with me just for guidance on what to disable or enable it would be very helpful, i know every system is different but it would give me some baselines to get it working. My target is just 4Ghz, don't want to go much further than this.

Note: Also something i've forgot to remove in all my testings and just came up to my mind is the Corsair Link that is connected to the USB 1314 on the motherboard.

LeviathanPT
Level 10
Ok so i've done the following today:
- Removed the H100 and Switched to a Kraken X61, after doing this i began to get a CPU Fan error, checked the cables again and noticed i didn't use the first header on the X61 to connect my fan, after fixing this mistake the error was gone
- Removed RAM and GPU's, cleaned them up

Then i went into BIOS with defaults and it booted into the OS, tried to restart and the code 79 appeared but after 5min it booted normally. So i went into BIOS and disabled CSM, it booted again, same error 79 during the restarts not sure why since CSM was off and according to the manual this error is an issue with the initialization. So i after all these attempts i gave up, better to have it booting with the code 79 during the restarts than nothing at all.

I also began working on OC, after reading the guides available on ROG and some other external info i finally got my CPU booting safely into windows at 4Ghz, the temperatures are reaching around 56 on the ROG Real Bench Stress Test with the following values:

If anyone has some ideas or suggestions in order to reduce the temperatures i'm all up for it, even thou i know it's well within the range i dislike having it so high. Currently the Kraken X61 is with a Push system only, i might add a Push Pull if i see there's no other method of getting lower temps.

Thanks for the support so far.

LeviathanPT
Level 10
Back again and i have some extra info, so i literally spent a few hours analyzing the behavior of the motherboard during reboots and it seems the issue i'm having is somehow related to the graphic cards since the VGA_LED lights up at the same time as the Q-Code 79 and remains lit up for about 3-5minutes until it reboots normally as expected.

Now if someone could help me make any sense out of this:
1- CSM is disabled so how can i be getting a CSM related Q-Code?
2- Testing with just 1 card (no matter which one) leads to the same issue
3- They boot normally and work as expected, benchmark results are normal for this system

Can anyone share some insights on this? It's a bit frustrating to have a 5min reboot on a 2000€+ system.

LeviathanPT
Level 10
This issue is now solved, bought a Asus X99 Deluxe and all works fine. Going to send the RV to RMA next week as clearly it is faulty.

If you get error 79 + vga led then don't even bother doing anything, RMA straight away.