cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Waterblock??

GrimDoctor
Level 7
From what I understand added a water block (ie, EK's full cover block made for the 970 Strix) will void the warranty.

Will Asus release their own block to allow better cooling and keep warranty?

Seeing as Strix falls under ROG, users are going to want to use all the great features available, just like the motherboards. It seems only fair to me that Asus release their own block or come to a reasonable compromise in regards to the warranty.
7 REPLIES 7

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
There aren't very many companies that will guarantee hardware if the end users tinker with it. Since you are removing the factory-installed cooling solution, ASUS has no way to prevent you from damaging your own hardware.

Otherwise, it's not unlike buying a sports-car for your teenager, and then buying another one if it gets destroyed in a street race (obvious different degrees, but same principle).

Z

Gawlron
Level 7
Yes, it will void the warranty. Nope, ASUS will not release their own water block. My suggestion is to grab a Poseidon GTX 980, or a EVGA HydroCopper GTX 980. Or bite the bullet.

I happily voided the warranty on my GTX 680s 🙂 and quite frankly would do it again... expect I'm being lazy and waiting for the Poseidon GTX 980.
ASUS RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION | INTEL i7 4930K | G.SKILLZ RIPJAW X 32GB | ASUS STRIX GTX 980 TWO-WAY SLI | CUSTOM WATER COOLING
RIP

GrimDoctor
Level 7
I know they currently void warranty, just thought it might be something for Asus to consider seeing as ROG gear is aimed at performance.

Gawlron
Level 7
ASUS does have some sort of partnership with EKWB, maybe you should investigate it?

For me, I don't think I'll be going FC again anytime soon which is why I have my cross-hairs on the Poseidon GTX 980 (if I could only find a retailer who sells the things...)

Any hoo, if you need advice on water cooling your system I have some experience I can share with you.
ASUS RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION | INTEL i7 4930K | G.SKILLZ RIPJAW X 32GB | ASUS STRIX GTX 980 TWO-WAY SLI | CUSTOM WATER COOLING
RIP

Gawlron wrote:
ASUS does have some sort of partnership with EKWB, maybe you should investigate it?

For me, I don't think I'll be going FC again anytime soon which is why I have my cross-hairs on the Poseidon GTX 980 (if I could only find a retailer who sells the things...)

Any hoo, if you need advice on water cooling your system I have some experience I can share with you.

The Poseidon's do look rather awesome. Thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind when I decided to take the plunge sometime next year 🙂
I'll wait for the new lot of cards and then decide if I stay with my 970 Strix or bump up to the new versions. Some of it will come down to availability - in Australia some of the better stuff is hard or impossible to get and US shipping prices are nasty.

Thanks again 😄

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Strix is not ROG, it's just DCUII rebranded. If it was a ROG card then you'd see the usual features, hotwire points and the new connection point that can be used with ASUS ROG's OC Card....like featured on the Matrix 290X and 780ti

Gawlron
Level 7
I couldn't wait any longer... I ended up picking up two STRIX GTX 980s... I'll order the FC waterblocks from EK when I can. However... the cards don't get hotter than ~65C in my system/room.
RIP