cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus Ranger 7

rosscogamer
Level 7
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if any of you knowledgeable people could help with an issue that I am having with my asus maximus ranger 7 MOBO.

It really is a weird one. Here's what's happening:

I recently purchased components that included the Asus Maximus Ranger 7 motherboard. The board seems to have an issue with DIMM slot B1 and B2. When I install dual channel memory into the board in the recommended configuration, using the Red DIMM slots (1 stick of ram in DIMM A2 and DIMM B2 , respectively), the system fails to post.

I am only able to get the system to boot with the use of the "Memok" switch when using the aforementioned recommended configuration, but at a very low low clock speed of 1066mhz. If i try to set this manually to the correct settings in the bios, it fails to post. It also fails to post when I attempt to use the XMP settings when using DIMM slot A2 and B2.

I have tried several different ram sticks within the motherboard in dual channel, and in single channel, in order to test whther the fault is with the ram or the board itself. Each time I try a configuration that involves using either DIMM slot B1 or B2, the system fails to post. Also when i try a single stick of ram in each of the DIMM slot B1 or B2 , the system also fails to post.

Currently, I can get the system to work properly with my CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 RAM at 1600mhz by using DIMM A1 and A2. In this configuration, the system boots first time absolutely flawlessly.

All evidence seems to point to there being an issue with DIMM B1 and B2, which will make it impossible for me to ever upgrade to quad channel memory in the future

It's weird because the slots that I suspect to be faulty are working when i use the "memok" switch on the board, albeit at a much lower clock speed.

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Specs:

Intel i7 4970
GTX 970
16 Gigs of ram (dual Channel) CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10
4 REPLIES 4

Neo_Duke
Level 7
Hello, i'm having the same problem with two different kit of RAM, Kingston HyperX Savage 2x4GB (HX316C9SBK2/8) and Corsair Vengeance PRO 2x4GB (CMY8GX3M2A2133C11R) the second kit are listed on the QVL. (using the kit individually)

It only works properly if I put in slot A1 and A2, when using B1 or B2 slot fail. I have tried all possible configurations, including XMP

CONF:
MOBO Asus Maximus Ranger VI
LAST BIOS (2012)
CPU Intel I5-4670K
GPU GTX 970

Neo_Duke
Level 7
Hello again,

From support they told me that the motherboard is faulty. I will proceed to change to another ... fingers crossed :confused:

Flavadave
Level 7
Hey guys, I'm having the same issue. So it's just a fault in the board? I only just got this issue after changing my h100i to an air cooler so i could rma the h100i.

AliC
Level 7
I had something similar but not quite the same. Just built a new PC with this Ranger motherboard and have the same Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB RAM as the user above (CMY8GX3M2A2133C11R).

The QR code on the motherboard would stop at '55' - looking at the motherboard manual, that indicates the DIMMs aren't present. I reseated several times and had the same problem each time. I decided to try one stick at a time, and they both work individually (note you have to use the A1 or B1 slot for single RAM sticks, the red and black slot 2s are only for dual sticks).

So knowing that the RAM itself was just fine, I did some googling and could find three or four mentions in the ASUS forum archives that suggested the problem can be related to the pressure exerted by the CPU cooler (either too much pressure, too little pressure, or uneven pressure). So I reseated the CPU cooler several times, and on one occasion, was actually able to get to the BIOS. But not consistently.

The same aforementioned forum posts also indicated the problem could also be caused by bent pins in the CPU socket. When I took a magnifying glass to the socket (I really couldn't see anything wrong without it) I could see what looked like a misaligned pin. It took a while for me to figure out how the pins are actually laid out, but once I understood what I was looking at, even magnified, I was able to gently push the pin back into alignment.

Putting it all back together, the system booted no problem at all.

This may or may not shed some light on what you're seeing here, and whilst I did a search using these forums' search function, searching for '55' does not return any results. It's a real pity because the QR code from the motherboard is pretty much the information I needed to find some clues as to what my problem was.

So you should try googling your QR code, because the search function here appears a little lacking. HTH.