cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi driver freezing issue on w8.1

saracg
Level 7
my wifi driver installed first time perfectly. and it was working. i wasnt paying any attention to it since i was using cable connection.

it came to my attention that wifi adapter was stopping working sometimes and it was working again. i tried to reinstall the driver and computer got frozen and Windows intallation was corrupted, so i had to install Windows from scratch.

with this brand new Windows installation i cant install the wifi driver ever. whenever i try to install the wifi driver computer hangs and after 30 second it Shows a BSOD.

im about to get crazy, any help appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

saracg
Level 7
reflashed the BIOS using rogconnect key while the pc was off. now it worked again.

i will check whether it is gonna stop/start working again.

bouncing_noobs
Level 7
saracg wrote:
my wifi driver installed first time perfectly. and it was working. i wasnt paying any attention to it since i was using cable connection.

it came to my attention that wifi adapter was stopping working sometimes and it was working again. i tried to reinstall the driver and computer got frozen and Windows intallation was corrupted, so i had to install Windows from scratch.

with this brand new Windows installation i cant install the wifi driver ever. whenever i try to install the wifi driver computer hangs and after 30 second it Shows a BSOD.

im about to get crazy, any help appreciated.

I had the same exact issue. I built my system at work, installed all of the drivers from the DVD, and didn't think much of the 802.11 ac driver as I was on ethernet. I was running the latest BIOS 1302. When I took the machine home I was on wifi, and it kept freezing Windows 8.1. I went to device manager and it said Broadcom driver failed to initialize. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver from each of the three versions on the Asus site, but it froze my system so much I had to reinstall Widows. I completely wiped and have downloaded all of the latest drivers from the Asus website, but each time I try to install the wireless driver (each of the three versions) my system freezes.

I'll try flashing the BIOS and getting back, but I wanted to write to say that I am having the same exact issue.

Okay flashed BIOS with Asus EZ Flash 2. I was running RAMPAGE V EXTREME BIOS 1302 and flashed it to the same. Even after BIOS flash, I still cannot install Wi-Fi Driver V6.34.223.5 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit. That is the latest wireless driver. Each time that I attempt to install it, my system completely freezes (same as before). It installed properly off the DVD before it failed to initialize, so I will try that.

Edit: Froze immediately off the DVD installer as well.

Chino
Level 15
Clea your CMOS. Then disable the Wifi controller in the BIOS. When you're in Windows, run Driver Sweeper to get rid of all traces of the Wifi Driver. Then restart your system and enable the Wifi controller in the BIOS. Once in Windows, try to install your driver again. Make sure to run it with administrator priviledges.

Chino wrote:
Clea your CMOS. Then disable the Wifi controller in the BIOS. When you're in Windows, run Driver Sweeper to get rid of all traces of the Wifi Driver. Then restart your system and enable the Wifi controller in the BIOS. Once in Windows, try to install your driver again. Make sure to run it with administrator priviledges.

I followed these exact instructions and lo and behold it works!

Thank you very much Chino!

bouncing_noobs
Level 7
Trying now.

khoatic
Level 7
Worked for me as well, Thanks!