cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a little help from all you seasoned overclockers please

insiZion1
Level 8
Hi guys..looking for a little advice as to getting a little more out of the cpu and gpu ON MY G751. My old rig had the asus ai suite and amd utillity which tweaked things with a simple push of the button.
However..im new to nvidia and laptops and im a little confused. How do i get the 5% gpu increase and wheres the asus turbomaster? Are there any utilities you are using? Also ....is it even worth doing? Will it aid in reducing temperatures? My bf4 has been peaking at 91degrees. Is that normal?
Thx J
7 REPLIES 7

Richdog
Level 7
Download MSI Afterburner, its the best utility for easy overclocking.

HulkSmash
Level 8
Hi InsiZion1, the 5% overclock comes from factory, it "kicks in" whenever necessary. You'll notice that the clock on your GPU when gaming will be higher than the standard clocks from nvidia's website. Any overclocking software will do, but I like EVGA Precision.

Yes, it is worth doing it, I've seen increase of 10 fps on a few games, or just better stability overall.

As for your temps, if you are talking about the GPU I really think there is something wrong, those are waaaay too high. Even CPU (which is usally higher, reaches about 82C with heavy testing). Mine is overclocked about 18%, and I've never seen anything higher than 70C once. Usually stays at 65-68C under heavy gaming. Maybe you had a bad thermal paste job, or maybe a faulty card...

Are you using your computer on a soft surface (like on top of your bed) or blocking the vents in any way? Never a good idea if you are, try to aways keep it elevated. I usually use my college books when I'm lazy (at least they retained some use after I finished my classes lol).

HulkSmash wrote:
Hi InsiZion1, the 5% overclock comes from factory, it "kicks in" whenever necessary. You'll notice that the clock on your GPU when gaming will be higher than the standard clocks from nvidia's website. Any overclocking software will do, but I like EVGA Precision.

Yes, it is worth doing it, I've seen increase of 10 fps on a few games, or just better stability overall.

As for your temps, if you are talking about the GPU I really think there is something wrong, those are waaaay too high. Even CPU (which is usally higher, reaches about 82C with heavy testing). Mine is overclocked about 18%, and I've never seen anything higher than 70C once. Usually stays at 65-68C under heavy gaming. Maybe you had a bad thermal paste job, or maybe a faulty card...

Are you using your computer on a soft surface (like on top of your bed) or blocking the vents in any way? Never a good idea if you are, try to aways keep it elevated. I usually use my college books when I'm lazy (at least they retained some use after I finished my classes lol).

Don't forget that temps also depend heavily on your ambient temperatures in the environment around you. My CPU has reached a max of 92c in intensive gaming sessions, and GPU 79c. If his ambient temps are higher than mine its very possible his max temps will be too.

insiZion1
Level 8
Thx Hulksmash may give the EVGA a go .Richdog..what adjustments have you made in msi ? I've increased the core-clock by +13 and the Memory clock by +100 given the maximum value I think i've increased to roughly 10%. But not overly sure. Any guidance would be appreciated. Do you apply this overclocking at system start-up?
According to the msi monitor my gpu is maxing 77 and the cpu is 83. This was in resident evil 6 benchmark. Bf4 may get hotter will have to check.
Thx Guys J

insiZion1 wrote:
Thx Hulksmash may give the EVGA a go .Richdog..what adjustments have you made in msi ? I've increased the core-clock by +13 and the Memory clock by +100 given the maximum value I think i've increased to roughly 10%. But not overly sure. Any guidance would be appreciated. Do you apply this overclocking at system start-up?
According to the msi monitor my gpu is maxing 77 and the cpu is 83. This was in resident evil 6 benchmark. Bf4 may get hotter will have to check.
Thx Guys J

True that Richdog! My house's AC is usually in the low 70s....

And zion1 start out slow, and use a game or furmark for a few minutes to see where your temps are. Just keep going until you see the temps are too high little by little. When you see temos too high, drop it a little and use that. Also check for and artifacing, I'd you see any, lower the overclock. Mem won't have the same effect as core, core will usually make the most difference. And you can turn it on whenever you want to, it downer affect iddle temps as long as you are not forcing PStates.. Most overclocking utilities have an option to apply the overclock on startup, I have that ticked on. And do the math based on the normal clock in comparison to the OC'd clocks, I know the regular core is 1037mhz, mine is set at 135+, which is 1172 that's about a 13% increase on core. I'm not sure what's my overall since I'm not home and don't remeber where I set my mem clocks...

HulkSmash
Level 8

insiZion1
Level 8
Thx hulksmash. Will have a little play around later.