cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Performance question..

blabsaway22
Level 7
Hello,

I have a Samsung 840 EVO (250) Windows 8.1 installed on it only..
and a m.2 64 gig mydigitalSSD.. (i'm about to try to install windows on that and use the Evo for games)

Do I over-provision SSD's or what? AT the moment I have not over provisioned.. but all the manufacturing websites say they recommend to do it..

I just use my computer for Games.. is over provisioning anything for games.. ?

who can shed light on whether to do it or not?

thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

Gawlron
Level 7
Seems like a good idea to me. I just had to learn about it all though.
ASUS RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION | INTEL i7 4930K | G.SKILLZ RIPJAW X 32GB | ASUS STRIX GTX 980 TWO-WAY SLI | CUSTOM WATER COOLING
RIP

Over provisioning only helps with Writing to the drive. You can go ahead and completely fill the SSD and it will not effect Read performance at all.

So for a OS drive, yeah it would help to have a bit of extra OP'd free space set aside but for a game only drive... meh it doesn't really matter.

Just to make it clear for anyone that doesn't know: Over Provisioning means you make your Partition('s) smaller than the full size of the drive (usually 20-25% smaller). - So for a 256GB drive your partition('s) size would be around 200GB leaving the extra 56GB as extra spare area that the drive controller can use for keeping itself at peak performance (even if you COMPLETELY fill the 200GB partition).

totalrognoob
Level 7
It's also is used for spares as flash blocks wear out, so while you loose some space you gain some reliability. If you aren't going to have many writes then it's got less value. The write process for flash memory is destructive, it slowly degrades as you write more to it, I've heard of reads also wearing on the cells, but cannot tell you where or why. Over provisioning is mostly to gain longevity, though Quad seems to know more about other uses for those spare cells.

blabsaway22
Level 7
Well, thanks for the replies guys.. this does help..

Now the thing is it appears from what you guys are saying that I should overprovision.. I do have windows 8.1 installed on a SSD and therefore I assume it is writing a lot.. so it seems I should over provision..

Don't games write a lot of info too?? especially since I'm installing and saving all the time and patching and downloading things to the game etc..

I mean if the SSD drive with NO provisioning (which i have not over provisioned as of today) is going to last me for 3 years then i dont care about over provisioning..

i will definitely just buy another SSD in 3 years anyway so that's why i'm having trouble deciding over provisioning or not!