cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

24x7 machine OC'd - How to get VCore to drop on idle? - C-states stuck disabled

jonstatt
Level 7
I am fighting the BIOS it seems here between overclocking and c-states.

By default, the C-State option is set to Auto. This by default enables C1E and C6 which means down-clock AND drop in vcore when the CPU is idling. Perfect for 24x7 set-ups.

As soon you change the core ratio limit, without knowing, all c-states are disabled even though the c-state bios option still says Auto.

You can re-enable C1E easily by changing the C-States option from Auto to Enabled. However, the C6 option that now appears is greyed out and disabled.

The end result is, that the CPU will down-clock on idle but it will be stuck at whatever voltage you used to make your CPU stable with overclock.

Interestingly if you use CPU Level Up, the first BIOS reboot leaves C1E and C6 enabled...but the slightest change to the BIOS manually afterwards and C6 is gone. The only way to get it back is to set the core ratio limit back to Auto.

I am OC'ing at 4GHz on a 5820K with vcore set to 1.15V which probably won't do any harm 24x7...but I wanted to go higher!
6 REPLIES 6

LiveOrDie
Level 11
In the bios set an adaptive or offset voltage rather than using manual and make sure have windows power plan on balanced.

LiveOrDie wrote:
In the bios set an adaptive or offset voltage rather than using manual and make sure have windows power plan on balanced.

Thanks. Actually the Voltage was set to "Auto" as all I did was use CPU Level Up to 4GHz. If I set "fully manual" to Disabled, then the voltage correctly drops on low power, but the VCore starts to head up to 1.2 on full load when it doesn't need to, so I will experiment with the adaptive/offset voltage as you recommended.

GoNz0-
Level 10
Have you enabled turbo mode as I am sure that has something to do with it?

you need it on to drop the multi down at idle.

jonstatt
Level 7
Further to my last post. I just totally did away with CPU Level Up and did everything manually. I am finding there are quite a few issues with Level Up.

So I simply set everything manually for the 5820k just to get a simple 4GHz overclock for now
1) Max cpu core ratio set to 40
2) RAM set to DDR 2666 (forced timing to 1T as per manufacturers specs as this value was not auto-read....will play with CAS latency etc later)
3) Fully Manual set to disabled
4) VCore adustment set to Adaptive
5) Turbo voltage set to 1.5

Although turbo voltage is set to 1.5, under higher loads, such as just after logging into Windows or prime95 it seems to go to 1.68 anyway. Everything seems stable...so once I am convinced I have a stable platform I will tweak it further.

skypine27
Level 7
I think I use my system similar to yours. I do some moderate - heavy gaming (Far Cry 4, Elite Dangerous Beta, War Thuner) and when away, I sometimes leave the system on a long time at idle, running BitTorrent.

Some small points from my still early testing with this board and a 5960x (using manual mode)
speed info:
I entered a manual multi of 42, therefore giving me 4.2ghz
CPU ran at 100% speed at all times with Window Power Management set to "high performance"
As another user suggested, once I changed it to Balanced, the multi instantly dropped down to 12x during idle (like right now). Note, I had to change customize some other settings under "balanced" because I don't want the computer doing to sleep or the hard drives getting shut down. Disabling both of these did not affect the ability of the CPU multi to drop to 12 x.
Multi jumps right back to 42 x when stressing the CPU, like with RealBench 2.4

voltage info:
I entered 1.34v core manual into the CPU voltage field.
During idle loads, using either High Performance or Balanced mode, the CPU Core Voltage is displayed as 1.344v in AI Suite.
When running RealBench 2.4, H.264 Video Encoding test, voltage gets bumped up a bit to 1.36v during the test, then drops back down to 1.344 after the test is over and the multi drops back down to 12.

Thoughts:
Is it really worth while to purse a method to get the voltage to drop below 1.34 during idle states? For temp purposes or just piece of mind? Can't imagine it having any effect on CPU life (I'm not going to keep the chip for 12 years or anything 🙂

How do you set an "adaptive" cpu voltage? Are you talking about just putting "auto" in that field instead of a number? Enabling the EUP Powersaving option (or whatever it was called) in the BIOS does not seem to change my CPU voltage one way or the other once in the desktop environment. Still idles at 1.344v
*CPU: Intel 10980XE @ 5.0 ghz (by Core usage) w/ EK monoblock
*Mobo: Asus Rampage VIE
*RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000 G.Skill TridentZ
*Graphics: Gigabite 3090 Waterforce
*Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3418DW @ 120hz
*Storage OS: Samsung SM970 Pro (2TB) Windows 10
*Storage Games Internal: 4TB 850 EVO RAID0
*Storage Extermal: 48TB Raid0 (External USB 3.1 Box)
*Case/PSU: Thermaltake V71 TG/RGB + 3 Rads (120mm, 360mm, 420mm) + Corsair AX1200i PSU

skypine27 wrote:

How do you set an "adaptive" cpu voltage? Are you talking about just putting "auto" in that field instead of a number? Enabling the EUP Powersaving option (or whatever it was called) in the BIOS does not seem to change my CPU voltage one way or the other once in the desktop environment. Still idles at 1.344v

Nice processor! I would have loved 8 cores but just couldn't justify that in the UK at least, it is over 2.5x the price of a 5820k. 🙂

A CPU voltage of 1.34v is high. I don't know whether that may influence the life expectancy of the CPU but it would make me concerned. That is why I wrote this thread, and why I wanted to get an understanding of how to achieve the lower voltage on idle for a 24x7 machine. Even if you have a superb cooling solution, you are still "over working" the silicon. But I must admit I don't know enough to understand what detrimental effects it may have.

Adaptive voltage set-up is very easy once you realise the terminology used in the BIOS is not friendly English and search here to get a translation! Basically all you do is

Turn Fully Manual to Disabled. This allows you to use features like adaptive voltage which are unaccessible otherwise.

Secondly, you go to VCore and set it to Adaptive Voltage. This will reveal 3 parameters. Offset +/-, Offset CPU voltage, and Turbo Voltage. I originally misinterpreted the Turbo Voltage as also being an offset against whatever the MB would normally have output. It isn't.

So thirdly, put your 1.344V into the Turbo Voltage box....leave the other parameters as they are.

That's it! However, you may find you need to re-tweak the voltage, as the fact that it is moving up and down may de-stabalise it. For example some have found they need to put a little bit extra because of this, but I am sure you don't want to go much higher than 1.34!! It sounds like your machine is on 24x7 anyway, but avoid standby states, as OC'd CPUs can sometimes fail to come out of them properly.