cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG G20 Overhaul

Urzu_7
Level 7
So I just got a G20 and I decided to replace the stock 760 with a 980, add an SSD and upgrade the HDD. The GPU was tricky but I managed however, 43904it looks like adding the SSD and replacing the HDD is near impossible. And tips?
260 REPLIES 260

toronto699
Level 13
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54394-ROG-G20AJ-Graphics-woes-(
u 2 should talk to each other as u booth need advice from each other

The parts are upgradable. Not impossible, just a real pain in the a**.

Ok! So I danced with death a little bit and managed to get the SSD in!!!! Hallelujah sweet baby Jesus! I feel great because I didn't have to remove the CPU heat sink.
I did it by removing a metal plate held on by two screws 43920 and I oh so slightly bent the red plastic as I inserted the SSD from the inside, ( NOT thru the front ). It only worked after I removed two screws holding the DVD case and slid that back about 1/4 of an inch and squeezed it in, it was tight, the sides of the SSD got a little scraped up and I'm probably not gonna get it out but it's in lol. 43921

i manged to get to same spot . i was wanting to remove original hdd and put ssd. I seen your location of secound ssd , byt i was wondering where is sata conection on motherborad to connect secound ssd?

stevox85
Level 7
This just made my day! Which 980 did you put in it? There are many different variants to choose from.
My g20 only came with a single power brick so I need to try to find where to get the second one/double brick unit.
Did you need any other cables other than whats in the unit itself or that came with the card?
Finally did everything function when you put it back together?
Asus dont want us to upgrade with their hardware hence the repeated same answers of warranty being void etc. which is fair enough but I'm determined to upgrade my g20 🙂

The only 980 that this will support it a reference design since it's max power draw is 170ish watts, my 980 is from nvidia, I'll post a pic tomorrow.
As far as the power supply goes, mine came with a second since I got the model with a GTX 760. I'm guessing you could just buy one and connect it as long as the polarity is the same as well as the power rating. Here is a pic of the power supply for the GPU 43909

Hi,

Do you, or anyone else, have a photo of the 180W power supply, showing the specs like the 230W photo which was posted here, including showing the connector end, which specifically came w/the system?

I just bought a G20, but it came w/the 230W one instead, due to it's being an Intel i5, w/a Geforce GTX 750 video card.

I plan to eventually upgrade everything, including the CPU. Thanks.
. ROG Zephyrus GA401QM (Q14) Laptop, AMD Ryzen 9 5900H CPU; Nvidia RTX 3060 GPU; 24 GB DDR4 (1x8 GB, 1x16); 1 TB Samsung Pro980 M.2 SSD; Windows 10 Pro

GoHack wrote:
Hi,

Do you, or anyone else, have a photo of the 180W power supply, showing the specs like the 230W photo which was posted here, including showing the connector end, which specifically came w/the system?

I just bought a G20, but it came w/the 230W one instead, due to it's being an Intel i5, w/a Geforce GTX 750 video card.

I plan to eventually upgrade everything, including the CPU. Thanks.

For those who may be interested.

Here's the Asus 180W power supply Model: ADP-180MB F, 19.5V, 9.23A, 100-240V~50-60Hz 2.34A

I stopped by a local Fry's store today, which happened to have an Asus G20 w/the i7 CPU on display, and went and took the information off of the 180W power supply.

Update:

I found one on ebay yesterday, brand new, w/the exact same model number and specs, and so I bought it. The only difference, the connector is a 90 degree vs. the normal straight. There are some on Amazon.com as well, again w/the same model number and specs.

. ROG Zephyrus GA401QM (Q14) Laptop, AMD Ryzen 9 5900H CPU; Nvidia RTX 3060 GPU; 24 GB DDR4 (1x8 GB, 1x16); 1 TB Samsung Pro980 M.2 SSD; Windows 10 Pro

Also I just realized when I took the pic that the GPUs power supply supports up to 230 watts so as long as the GPUs max power draw does not exceed PSUs rating and it fits in its slot, your golden. Here is a pic of the GPU slot. 43919