Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

So, with the announcement of the TITAN X... I'm naturally curious as to whether or not it's possible to run with one of those, despite the higher (250W) TDP.
    Apparently, NVIDIA recommends having a 600W system for this GPU... But with both power supplies, we're only at 410W.
    Then again, for the GTX 980, it was recommend to have a 500W system.

Obviously, something like this couldn't be overclocked without completely overwhelming the system, but I'm assuming that even at load, it wouldn't get much hotter than a 980 would.

Anyone else even the slightest bit curious?

ROG Guru: White Belt Array GoHack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruzur View Post
    So, with the announcement of the TITAN X... I'm naturally curious as to whether or not it's possible to run with one of those, despite the higher (250W) TDP.
    Apparently, NVIDIA recommends having a 600W system for this GPU... But with both power supplies, we're only at 410W.
    Then again, for the GTX 980, it was recommend to have a 500W system.

Obviously, something like this couldn't be overclocked without completely overwhelming the system, but I'm assuming that even at load, it wouldn't get much hotter than a 980 would.

Anyone else even the slightest bit curious?
    When it comes to the video card alone, w/the Titan X, it requires 250W, for a standard, non-overclocked card to operate. That already exceeds the 230W available for the video card by 20W. We don't know what the tolerances are, when it comes to the 250W, whether is the maximum, average, or minimum wattage used. Then of course you will have the issue w/heat that the Titan X will give off as well. Will the G20 be able to handle that.

The same goes w/the GTX 980, which requires 165W for a standard, non-overclocked card, but in this case, you have an extra 65W available, should that 165W be the minimum or average wattage used.

That 600W is for a total system built, taking into account, top of the line hardware, just like w/the Titan X itself.

The 500W, the same.

With the G20, you have a standard set system, w/one HD, a DVD, 8 GB system memory, an Intel i3 CPU, and a GTX 745 GPU, powered by a 180W Power Supply Brick. From there, a system choice w/either an i5 or i7 CPU, various GPU's up to, and including, the GTX 980, again the standard 8GB of system memory, w/an optional 16GB, and an SSD, all maxed out, requiring less than the maximum 410W available. The 230W is suppose to be fully assigned to the GPU w/the top end systems, and the 180W for the rest of the system, including the CPU.
    - Asus ROG G20AJ, Intel i5-4460 CPU, Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3L, 2x Corsair 128GB SSD's (RAID 0), Nvidia Geforce GTX 670, 180W and 230W Power Supply Bricks, Acer GN246HL 24" Monitor, Windows 10 (x64)

- Alienware Aurora R4, Intel i7-4820K, 20GB DDR3, 2 TB HD, Nvidia GeForce GTX 760, Windows 10 (x64)

ROG Member Array

Well, my G20 upgrading has come to a sad end. I installed an SSD and at some point after putting it all back together there was a sizzle and the power shut down and something had burnt. Opened it all up and can't see any sign of damage, think the smell is coming from the HDD location, but can't really be sure. It will power on for a split second now, long enough to spin the fans then powers off. Maybe I fried the 230W plug? I'm sad

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Ravenholme PC Specs
    Ravenholme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G20AJ-US009S
    MotherboardAsus H97
    ProcessorIntel Core i7 4790
    Memory (part number)16GB - Kingston DDR3 1600MHz CL11 1.35v SODIMM - KVR16LS11/8
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - Founders Edition (ASUS)
    MonitorBenQ BL3201PH (4K/UHD IPS LED)
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD
    Storage #2Seagate SSHD 1TB
    CaseAsus G20AJ
    Power SupplyAsus 180W PSU AC Adapter + Dell Y90RR 330W PSU AC Adapter
    Mouse Razer Ouroboros
    Headset Turtlebeach
    Headset/Speakers (The BenQ)
    OS Windows 10
    Accessory #1 ASUS (SBC-06D2X-U) Slim External 6x Blu-ray Combo Drive
    Accessory #2 Asus GPU Tweak II - OC: 2050 Mhz, 90°C max, 120% Power, vsync off
    Accessory #3 http://rog.asus.com/realbench/show_comment.php?id=8796

I started with the i7 US009S model so i didn't have to fiddle with the power jumpers. i'm wondering if that was a factor or if it was the CPU trying to draw out too much power (84w or 88w version of the i7 4790K?) was something loose? if it was just the 230w plug i hope you can replace it and find out.

New ROGer Array

I got my EVGA GTX970 OC working!
    I had given up all hope!
    All I had to do was swap the jumper that was next to the 5 other jumpers near the psu ports, this got voltage to my GPU through the pci express ports, I havent benchmarked yet properly but the heaven one I was using (on high settings) before was showing 120fps at least where my GTX745 was only 20-30 FPS.
    GPU is locked at 80 degrees max and seems to be doing good.
    I defo know how to do this now for people who have a GPU powered by the 180 watt supply, I can tell you where to get the new PSU and talk you through how to go about doing this
    does anyone know what jumper he is talking about i had best buy install the gtx 970 it didn't power on so i bought the extra 180 power supply but still didnt power on. from what i read the 180 is for the computer and the 230 is for the gpu now when i hook just the 180 power supply i get no power but when i hook the 230 back i get power.thank you in advance

ROG Member Array

On the motherboard, near the ports where you plug the power bricks, there are a row of jumpers. Look for a lone jumper that is near this row. Move that jumper so that it is shorting the other pin and the middle pin.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by rene_canlas View Post
    On the motherboard, near the ports where you plug the power bricks, there are a row of jumpers. Look for a lone jumper that is near this row. Move that jumper so that it is shorting the other pin and the middle pin.
    do i need both power supply's?

ROG Member Array

Yes

New ROGer Array

thank you

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by RedWolfTech View Post
    There are 3 SATA ports on the board - one used by the 3.5" drive, one used by the DVD and one free below the DVD tray that you use with the extra SATA cable it comes with for an optional 2.5" drive in that location pictured.
    Has anyone posted a picture of one free below the DVD tray that you use with the extra SATA cable it comes with??

Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast