cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small bug with Fan X-Pert or bad headers?

skypine27
Level 7
Anyone have problem with Fan X-pert not "seeing" many of the fan headers?

The fans spin, and will spool up and down during the programs auto test, but at the end of these test, fan x-pert doesn't "see" most of them. Only sees the CPU and 1 x chassis fan header.

The fans still spin and spool up and down during the different modes, but because it doesn't see them, I cant set their profile or link them to things like Temp probes, etc.

I notice 3rd party programs like AIDA64 also don't see all the headers, and only see Temp probe #1 as well (have all 3 x temp probes connected.)

Just curious. Its a small problem to have and I wouldn't RMA the board and rebuild the system just for this. But wondered if anyone else had these issues.

Thx
*CPU: Intel 10980XE @ 5.0 ghz (by Core usage) w/ EK monoblock
*Mobo: Asus Rampage VIE
*RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000 G.Skill TridentZ
*Graphics: Gigabite 3090 Waterforce
*Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3418DW @ 120hz
*Storage OS: Samsung SM970 Pro (2TB) Windows 10
*Storage Games Internal: 4TB 850 EVO RAID0
*Storage Extermal: 48TB Raid0 (External USB 3.1 Box)
*Case/PSU: Thermaltake V71 TG/RGB + 3 Rads (120mm, 360mm, 420mm) + Corsair AX1200i PSU
6 REPLIES 6

broncogr
Level 10
What fans are you using?
Are the headers correctly configured as PWM or Voltage regulated in UEFI?

skypine27
Level 7
UPDATE:

Problem solved. I did not know that the 2 x fans on each channel were NOT separately configurable.

For anyone else who has an issue, here is the deal:

You have 4 x "channels", so to speak. CPU, CHA1, CHA2, and CHA3.

Even though CHA1,2,3 each have 2 x fan plugs, ie CHA1A/1B, CHA2A/2B, etc...you can NOT separate the A from the B in Fan X-Pert 3 (or the BIOS for that matter).

So you really only have 3 x different chassis fans to control, even though you can plug 2 x fans into each channel (or more with Y-cables).

I didn't know this, so for example, I had my top exhaust fan and my front intake fans (which are different type fans) plugged into the same channel, like the top was in say CHA2A and the front was in CHA2B. Fan expert cant handle this if they are different types of fans, it messes up. So you must plug in the same type of fans into each channel, and understand there is not a separate speed control for the A and B headers.

Thx guys, problem solved.
*Case/PSU: Thermaltake V71 TG/RGB + 3 Rads (120mm, 360mm, 420mm) + Corsair AX1200i PSU

kthanos
Level 7
This is very disappointing from Asus. Actually it says that has "four intelligent onboard sensors" for fans. I have to change my fan headers arrangement on my Rampage V Extreme to be perfect couples.

kthanos wrote:
This is very disappointing from Asus. Actually it says that has "four intelligent onboard sensors" for fans. I have to change my fan headers arrangement on my Rampage V Extreme to be perfect couples.

What Asus says is true. There ARE 4:
1. CPU
2. CHA1
3. CHA2
4. CHA3

Each # (or channel) has 2 x headers associated with it. So you can plug in 8 x PWM fans

Just remember that there are only 4 controllable settings. The 2nd fan on each channel is slaved to the first.

kthanos wrote:

Hello

The only disappointment is assuming something other than what the specs state. CPU, Groups 1, 2 and 3. That is four.

jonstatt
Level 7
If you have 2 front chassis fans, you would probably want them spinning at the same speed anyway...hence the A/B

However, AI Suite does not like you having a totally empty channel and although it doesn't display an error as such, you get a an indication on the GUI that a fan is not working for a mystery location in the case. There should be the option of stating "No fan connected" for each controller channel so the GUI can reflect a working status properly.