cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on getting to 4.5Ghz

XeroHertZ
Level 7
Hello friends,

So I just finished testing my rig with a 4.4Ghz. What I did was set the multiplier to 44 and the cpu core voltage to 1.280 and the rest on auto. I've n prime 95 for 3 hours, no errors no warnings and no BSOD's...max temps were 85-88C, hope this is not too high.

I then run a Real Bench stress test for one hour with 16GB memory selected. again no errors or crashes, and Max temp was 86C.

Is this test enough? Should I increase the test length?

I've also run a Firestrike benchmark test which gave me this result, that was a huge boost for me as my first result was 19280 on stock

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3410236

Also the RAM was on default not XMP profile.

Thanks.
37 REPLIES 37

Chino
Level 15
Your overclock looks fine. Don't worry about your temperatures so much since you wouldn't be taxing your CPU to 100% in daily usage. Depending on how fast your RAM is rated at, you might have to up the vcore a little to accomodate it.

Chino wrote:
Your overclock looks fine. Don't worry about your temperatures so much since you wouldn't be taxing your CPU to 100% in daily usage. Depending on how fast your RAM is rated at, you might have to up the vcore a little to accomodate it.

Yes that's what I thought about the temps.

My RAM's speed is 2400Mhz with 13-13-13-35 timing. As I mentioned I'm running it on default but it's running at 2133Mhz

Should I set it to it's XMP profile?

and how do I know my CPU is from a good batch?

XeroHertZ wrote:
Yes that's what I thought about the temps.

My RAM's speed is 2400Mhz with 13-13-13-35 timing. As I mentioned I'm running it on default but it's running at 2133Mhz

Should I set it to it's XMP profile?

and how do I know my CPU is from a good batch?

Hey!

For the cpu's batch you'll have to try it yourself as there's no way to know if it's good or not. They're all "unique" in their own way. And for your memory yea use xmp and if you have problems try manual both should work fine.

Thanks

Max
Cpu : Intel 5930K@4.25ghz@1.2v / Cache @4.25ghz@1.20v
Cpu Cooler : Corsair H100i
Case : Corsair 780T
Memory : G.Skills 32GB DDR4-3200mhz CAS 15-15-15-35-1T@1.370v
Motherboard : Asus Rampage V Extreme (BIOS 3504)
M2 : Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512gb (Gaming)
M2 : SSD1 : OCZ RD400A 128gb (windows)
SSD1 : Crucial MX100 512gb (data)
Gfx : EVGA Titan X w/ 980 Hybrid Cooling AiO Liquid Cooler
PSU : Antec HCP-1000W
Monitor : Asus RoG Swift

Avenger411 wrote:
Hey!

For the cpu's batch you'll have to try it yourself as there's no way to know if it's good or not. They're all "unique" in their own way. And for your memory yea use xmp and if you have problems try manual both should work fine.

Thanks

Max

Thanks Max.

What changes do you suggest for me to get to 4.5Ghz??

Chino
Level 15
You can use XMP or manual setup. It's a matter of preference. As for your road to 4.5GHz, just keep upping the Vcore.

Avenger411
Level 10
I am not "that" good (i myself had to come to this forum to get answers) but my best bet would be hit and miss technique. Keep xmp off for the moment, get that 4.5ghz and fine tune cpu voltage/cache voltage (it might help) keep this up until you find yoursweet spot. But keep in mind 4.5ghz is a somewhat big oc since you have a 5960x so you might end up putting so much voltage that it won't be "worth it" anymore. Plus it's not 100% sure you'll get it ultra stable at that point. One never knows until one tries :). Chino and praz are better suited if you have specific questions about LLC and other options.

Thanks

Max
Cpu : Intel 5930K@4.25ghz@1.2v / Cache @4.25ghz@1.20v
Cpu Cooler : Corsair H100i
Case : Corsair 780T
Memory : G.Skills 32GB DDR4-3200mhz CAS 15-15-15-35-1T@1.370v
Motherboard : Asus Rampage V Extreme (BIOS 3504)
M2 : Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512gb (Gaming)
M2 : SSD1 : OCZ RD400A 128gb (windows)
SSD1 : Crucial MX100 512gb (data)
Gfx : EVGA Titan X w/ 980 Hybrid Cooling AiO Liquid Cooler
PSU : Antec HCP-1000W
Monitor : Asus RoG Swift

Avenger411 wrote:
I am not "that" good (i myself had to come to this forum to get answers) but my best bet would be hit and miss technique. Keep xmp off for the moment, get that 4.5ghz and fine tune cpu voltage/cache voltage (it might help) keep this up until you find yoursweet spot. But keep in mind 4.5ghz is a somewhat big oc since you have a 5960x so you might end up putting so much voltage that it won't be "worth it" anymore. Plus it's not 100% sure you'll get it ultra stable at that point. One never knows until one tries :). Chino and praz are better suited if you have specific questions about LLC and other options.

Thanks

Max

Alrighty Thanks a lot Max..appreciate your help 🙂

So Far I seem to be very stable with 4.4Ghz, i'll just do some tests with XMP, and if it didn't work i'll set it up manually.

Avenger411 wrote:
...and fine tune cpu voltage/cache voltage (it might help)...

About the cache voltage, I can't really find anything on this forum or the web talking about that other than a couple of annoying, vague references. (Annoying because they are vague.) I can't even find what the "stock" setting should be. (I can't even go by my board's "optimized default" value since, by default, it over-volts the CPU slightly: something like 1.075 V.

Chino
Level 15
Overclocking the core yields far more performance gain than overclocking the cache/uncore. For the daily user, the cache and cache voltage can be left at Default/Auto.