cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula Z still freezing.

c2usaf2004
Level 7
Greets all. FIrst here is what I am working with.
AMD FX9590
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
Corsair H100i Cooler push pull config
16gb G. Skill Sniper 2400mhz (8gb x 2)
EVGA 780 Superclocked
EVGA 1000 Gold 1000W PSU
CoolerMaster HAF 932 with 120mm, 2x 230mm

Cant seem to run this beast for more than 4 hours without it freezing up (mouse keyboard unresponsive). On initial setup it would freeze almost immediately until I set the proper memory and set it to DOCP. I have monitored the temps on the CPU and it doesnt get above 45c even at load. The motherboard is a different story. I am watching idle temps on the board reach 128 to 130. I have my fan configurations set for a negative pressure, front fan pulling in, all the rest pulling out.

I havent attempted to do any OC until I at least get the stock speed stable. This is my second motherboard since the first one's sata ports 1 and 3 stopped working and had to be RMA'ed. Any ideas would be great as I am going through BF4 withdrawal..:D
8 REPLIES 8

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Greetings,

I think you are right about the motherboard temps being high; mine are about half that. Your CPU temp is good as that is about where my FX-8350 is when running idle with a Thermaltake Frio (air cooled).

It the motherboard selecting the correct frequency for your memory? I am guessing you are dealing with a RAM issue-maybe try running one stick of RAM for now as a place to start. I would also run memTEST86 that you can download and burn to a bootable CD-ROM from www.passmark.com

I will assume have both the 4 and 8-Pin AUX CPU connectors populated also?

Post back with your findings.

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

c2usaf2004
Level 7
I think I found the problem. I was reading on another forum that this is a design flaw with the board. The original design called for the CPU fan to blow over the north bridge/chipset heat sinks to cool them. I have a liquid cooler that isnt pushing air over the area. Gonna try to reverse the 120mm to pull air in over the area. All power connectors to the board are populated. Ill run the memory test when I get home tonight.

blppt
Level 7
Interesting. Your theory of the airflow of cpu fans could explain my own throttling problem with LLC @ Ultra High. But the MB temps----I sure hope 130 is Fahrenheit and not Celsius---my mobo temp is never anywheres near that! :eek:

c2usaf2004
Level 7
That is Fahrenheit. If this doesn't work, my only option is to get a different CPU. I build gaming rigs all the time and this is the first time I have had this much of a problem.

TheNerdBench
Level 10
I will throw out the idea that maybe the NB temp sensor is bad? Do you have a IR non contact thermal gun that you could barrow to see if that is the case? Or have you touched the NB just to do a "static" test? I actually have a server motherboard that was reporting that the NB was running at 212 degree F 🙂

There has been posts on this subject when one switches to a liquid cooler that there isn't enough air flow over the NB now that you mention it. Also I would not replace the CPU as I think the problem is with the M/B. You could always verify CPU performance with the scores from Passmark (www.passmark.com) if you want to d/l and install their utility-it is good for 30 days.

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

c2usaf2004
Level 7
Wow. What a difference flipping two fans made. Nothbridge and chipset are down to 100f. South Bridge is holding steady at 80. Lets see how stable she remains.

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Great news! Thanks for posting back the solution for your cooling woes! Enjoy the system.

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]

justpavo
Level 8
Well, I do not think the temps are your problem, but it is worth a try. When running prime95 my northbridge temps are around 60°C and everything is fine. Okay, you did not mention your temps under load, but I think northbridge temps between 40°C - 65°C should be no problem. Anyways, it would be nice to know if it works for you.