cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero VII RAM and Error 55/Cooler too Tight/Bent Pins

Skean
Level 7
So I have not done much to resolve my issues with my two sticks of corsair ballistixs on my hero VII motherboard which is the code 55 error if I try to put in two sticks but I thought I would ask a couple of general question. Why is it that a cooler too tight/uneven only effects the RAM? Also the bent pins thing? It seems that is one of the go to answers when code 55 comes up. It is not just bent pins it would have to be the exact same pins in the same spot to Impact the RAM. I ask this because I have my build up and running awesome with 1 8 gig stick and my PC has been rock solid with several hours of gaming and I do not want to mess that up just yet. So why is it just the RAM that is having this issue? I have read much about this on this site but never why is always just the RAM.
Thanks,
Skean
7 REPLIES 7

Squall_Rinoa89
Level 8
While I cant comment on your issue.. does have me questioning if I managed to bend pins with my cooler now that you mention it being tight could bend them...
Lian Li 011 Dynamic White Case
Intel Core i9 Coffee lake 9900K @ 5.1GHz
ASUS STRIX Z390-E LGA 1151
Corsair DDR4 Corsair Dominator 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CAS 18
EVGA nVidia RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA 10GB
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 PSU
1x 512GB SAMSUNG 860 PRO SSD
2x 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD
1x WD BLACK 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA Hard Drive (6.0Gb/s)

Backfire1
Level 7
I can't speak for your specific cooler but I have used Hyper 212 and corsair h 100 and both are unable to apply enough pressure to bend pins. With all that being said if your CPU was not installed correctly or the cooler was installed incorrectly then you might get bent pins. The little nuts or screws that you tighten on my coolers will bottom out before they apply to much pressure. Another words you can tighten all the way and it does not hurt the MB or CPU.

I have read were others have installed their CPU cooler wrong and damage the MB. You might could check your standoffs (the little nuts that attach your back plate to your MB. Some have or need a washer between them so as not to damage or scratch the MB.

What is your issue with your ram? Have you tried your ram in another computer? Have you tried swapping the stick you have in your computer now with the stick that is not in your computer? Have you tried using them in the other slots? Are you sure you are installing them in the right slots? Also are you sure they are seating correctly? Hope some of this helps.

jab383
Level 13
Unlike Backfire1's H100, the screwdown mount of my Koolance block is able to apply too much pressure and apply it unevenly. I've had it happen.

Excess / uneven cooler pressure causing a socket pin to slide off it CPU contact and/or short to another contact can effect any pin on the CPU. That includes PCIe3 connections to video cards or DMI connections to the PCH (the Z97) which can screw up PCIe2, USB or SATA operation. Worst would be a short from a socket pin carrying power to a CPU contact that is grounded - nothing works and a motherboard VRM may blow out.

In other words, cooler pressure and bent pins in the socket are on the list of things to check for any mysterious failure.

Jeff

Backfire1
Level 7
Something I thought about last night was -- I would think you would be able to see any bent pins. But that may be easier sad than done. Hope you figure out what is ailing your MB. Good luck and let us know what you figure out.

Skean
Level 7
So this will be my final post on this subject and it is not a happy one. I got two new RAM sticks (crucial ballistix 16 gig) and had the same error 55 so I removed one of the sticks and system booted no problem. So I decided to try the other stick in the same slot and the tab that releases the RAM broke and now the RAM is stuck in the slot! So I have decided to leave it in place and just use 8 gigs. I am not going to go through the whole process of replacing the motherboard even though it is still under warranty and I have a spare 8 gig stick I cannot return. My system runs great on 8 and I do not want to go through another build just to have the same potential problem. I surrender. I am just gonna game and be happy I have a screaming PC. On to Far Cry 4!!!!

Puffnstuff
Level 10
If I were you I'd rma the board and get a new one. Have you tried using a jewelers screwdriver to carefully open the broken latch and remove the dim? It sounds like the other slot is dead and there's no way I'd keep a bad board like that.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932

bmac1191
Level 7
Having a block too tight cannot bend pins. The processor will come in contact with a part of the mount before the pins are bent completely down. I've worked on pins under a magnify glass and they are designed to be pushed down. It is kind of like they are spring loaded to the top so they make contact with the processor. It is possible to crack a processor from mounting the block to tight.. but with the size of the ihs on current processors, its not likely.

I just had error 55 due to my block not being tight enough. I had to remount about 4 times to get it. I am also running naked under a water block.

If you have bent pins you can try to repair them (if only a few). You should take the board out of the case. Use a magnify glass and a sewing/safety pin to bend them in the correct direction. They all go in one of two directions, so it is very obvious when one it out of alignment.

I do believe bent pins are not covered under warranty.

It reads code 55 probably due to failure to communicate to the memory controller on the processor.. this is just an educated guess.