cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX Replacing a fan

vityav
Level 7
Hello all,
I've had a G74SX for a few years, and a few weeks ago the fan started making a subtle whirring noise, like a coffee maker percolating. This morning it suddenly turned into a very loud almost-grinding noise, so I'm looking to replace the fan (already opened it up, cleaned it out, and it's still making the noise).

I have two questions though: One: Is there an easy way to tell which fan is making the noise without completely disassembling, unplugging one, and reassembling the computer just to test each one? And two: Is there a good place to get a replacement fan? Amazon has a few for $20, but I read somewhere that there are two types for the G74SX, and one won't fit older machines. How can I make sure it's the right one?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Milimar
Level 7
This is not funny because around the same time as Your Fan problem started , mine did also. I purchased in April of 2012, was running great until the fan bomb. I didn't want to waste my time with it , sent it in to repair. Bought a GL551J in the mean time. Think its disgusting that my other laptops never had this problem and are still running for many years now.

Jalida
Level 7
I've had the same issue for about 3 months now. But in my case, the fan only makes noise when I first start up the laptop, once it's been running for about 20 to 50 seconds or so, then the fan noise completely disappears.

However, I know from my HP laptop days, that it's only going to get worse until it's making noise all the time.
So, much like the OP, I'm also wondering if there is any easy way to tell which fan might be causing the noise so that I can replace it sooner rather than later.

Thanks

Gugge
Level 7
I have this exact same problem

Somehow didn't get an email that I was getting replies, but I've since fixed my problem with the fan.

There are apparently two kinds of fan used in a G74SX. The KSB06105HB, and the BFB0705HA. They both seem to work, but supposedly one is a little thinner? I couldn't really tell the difference, but I replaced one of the former with one of the latter (I ordered both, but since the correct model had to ship from china, figured I'd give the easily obtainable "wrong one" a shot).
I opened it up following these pictures:
http://btoforums.com/showthread.php?t=3525

Took maybe half an hour with a small screwdriver set, pretty simple. I gently spun both fans when I had it open and one made a sound and slowed down quickly, while the other smoothly spun for a while, so I replaced the noisy one, patched it all back up, and now the fans don't make a peep, and my CPU temperatures are back down to normal.

I'll see if I can fix my email subscription to this thread in case anyone else has questions I can answer.

vityav wrote:
Somehow didn't get an email that I was getting replies, but I've since fixed my problem with the fan.

There are apparently two kinds of fan used in a G74SX. The KSB06105HB, and the BFB0705HA. They both seem to work, but supposedly one is a little thinner? I couldn't really tell the difference, but I replaced one of the former with one of the latter (I ordered both, but since the correct model had to ship from china, figured I'd give the easily obtainable "wrong one" a shot).
I opened it up following these pictures:
http://btoforums.com/showthread.php?t=3525

Took maybe half an hour with a small screwdriver set, pretty simple. I gently spun both fans when I had it open and one made a sound and slowed down quickly, while the other smoothly spun for a while, so I replaced the noisy one, patched it all back up, and now the fans don't make a peep, and my CPU temperatures are back down to normal.

I'll see if I can fix my email subscription to this thread in case anyone else has questions I can answer.

Your link doesn't work. How did you manage to find the models of fans used? I couldn't find the specs for both fans but I know on my G74SX-3DE, it uses the KSB model, the KSB series is basically sleeve bearing and the BFB series is ball bearing which should be better than sleeve bearing. The only thing we don't know is what the CFM is of each fan since the one with the higher CFM obviously would be the better one to use. Are you seeing any differences between the two models of fans since it's been 4.5 years since you have posted. Speaking of which, when the machine is first powered on, are both fans supposed to be running because I noticed that only the right fan turns on but my machine isn't not posting currently.