cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After using GPU Tweak, my graphics card no longer shows up to my motherboard.

atriox
Level 7
Basically in the title. Is there some way I can undo it? My card isn't even showing up in device manager.

It wasn't booting so I decided to remove the drivers.

The card is the r9 290 directcu ii. I have to use the onboard video card right now.

I tried reinstalling, but the catalyst install manager is hanging on "Detecting graphics Hardware" and gpu tweak won't work without drivers it wont run.
11 REPLIES 11

xeromist
I've never had this issue so I can only guess at solutions. If it was me I'd try booting without the card physically installed and then remove GPU tweak and the driver using a driver cleaner. Then I'd reinstall the card and cross my fingers.

Are you able to get display output from the card using default Windows drivers or you get nothing at all? If you get no picture, even during POST, there might actually be something physically wrong with the card.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

No Post that I can see, but I've seen other people have had this problem on the amazon page, but they somehow fixed it. I'm currently reinstalling windows and then I'm going to try again.

Is there a way to do a factory reset to the card?

xeromist
You should not need to. Software like GPU Tweak and EVGA's PrecisionX apply the OC at run time. That's why I was saying that a card that won't push any kind of picture is a bigger problem. If a fresh Windows doesn't change anything then exchange it with the retailer or RMA with ASUS.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
You should not need to. Software like GPU Tweak and EVGA's PrecisionX apply the OC at run time. That's why I was saying that a card that won't push any kind of picture is a bigger problem. If a fresh Windows doesn't change anything then exchange it with the retailer or RMA with ASUS.

I know I shouldn't need to, but is there a way to do it any way? I'd like to try before I RMA it.

xeromist
You can try a firmware update but the card will have to be visible to the flash tool. If the card is completely unresponsive you won't be able to flash:
http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/R9290DC2OC4GD5/HelpDesk_Download/

After much thought, I realized something. It only stops my boot when it's plugged in to the PSU. I THINK that it's drawing too much power off the PSU. Not sure if that matters, though. Does anyone know of a hardware reset?

atriox
Level 7
Is there a way via the motherboard to stall how much power the gpu is drawing?

xeromist
Not really. Some cards will run off of the motherboard only but I doubt the 290 is one of them.

It's possible the PSU is damaged and nothing is actually wrong with the card too. Do you have any friends that could test the card for you?