cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74sx-dh73-3d clean install Questions

Lismail0
Level 7
Hello I custom ordered my g74-dh73-3d from XoticPc and it is going to be here Tuesday. Once it gets here I am planning updating the bios and installing an OCZ 120GB Vertex 3 with Windows 7 Pro as my boot drive. What’s the best way of going about installing all of the drivers and which ones do I need to install. Also any other tips or thoughts you might add for the overall process. As you can see I’m new to this forum so sorry if I left anything out or if I do something wrong. Thank you so much!
G74SX-DH73-3D
<---------------->
i7-2760QM, 2.4-3.5GHz, (32nm, 6MB L3 cache)
nVidia GeForce GTX 560M 3,072MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11
8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866MHz CL11 Dual Channel Memory
120GB OCZ Vertex 3 Sandforce Solid State Drive->Boot
750GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Hard Disk Drive->Storage
WEI->7.6-7.9-7.3-7.3-7.9
10 REPLIES 10

Kipper
Level 10
There is a sticky thread in the forum with a good deal of the drivers available there and you can get them on the product site for the laptop.

Best to ensure that you do have all of the drivers downloaded and ready for the clean install.

Welcome to the forums by the way.

dstrakele
Level 14
Be sure to install the Atheros Wireless Network Adapter driver version 9.2.1.432 or later. This will eliminate the DPC Latency of the earlier drivers and improve performance of your system. I think you may also need to install ATK Package 1.00.0014 (to get Enable/DIsable 3D on the Fn-Spacebar key combination) in addition to BIOS 203.

EDIT: CTRL-T may be the key combination to enable/disable 3D.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Lismail0 wrote:
Hello I custom ordered my g74-dh73-3d from XoticPc and it is going to be here Tuesday. Once it gets here I am planning updating the bios and installing an OCZ 120GB Vertex 3 with Windows 7 Pro as my boot drive. What’s the best way of going about installing all of the drivers and which ones do I need to install. Also any other tips or thoughts you might add for the overall process. As you can see I’m new to this forum so sorry if I left anything out or if I do something wrong. Thank you so much!

The most important thing, IMO, is to avoid the driver disc that comes with the computer. Some owners think they are doing a clean install when they install Windows, insert that disc, and hit "Install All." That completely defeats the purpose of a clean install, since you're getting the same outdated drivers and all the bloatware of the OEM installation.

Beyond that, I suggest taking it slow. Install only the important drivers at first, then use it that way for a few days as you customize...adding your files & programs, etc. Only consider adding any "extras" (i.e., Asus utilities) after you've had a chance to use the machine and evaluate whether you'll really use a given program. The vast majority of them are redundant to features you already have, and some of them are just bad software.

JRd1st
Level 12
Forsome reason the Intel Turbo Monitor needs to be installed from the driver disc, according to our much missed Chastity. But other than that the driver disc is obsolete.

It's necessary to learn what devices are in your machine and their manufacturers in order to get the best driver updates
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

JRd1st wrote:
Forsome reason the Intel Turbo Monitor needs to be installed from the driver disc, according to our much missed Chastity. But other than that the driver disc is obsolete.

I think that info may have become obsolete. The Turbo Boost Monitor is available on Asus' product sites, and the latest version is also available directly from Intel. Maybe Asus didn't used to post it or something.

In any event, she must gave just meant, "IF you want it...", because it's certainly not a required utility.

JRd1st
Level 12
No, she said it was "the only known way" of installing it the first time. That may have changed since she learned that, but she did say that.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

OK well thank you all so much for your input! It just arrived via ups and I am ready to dive right in. I let you know how it turns out!
G74SX-DH73-3D
<---------------->
WEI->7.6-7.9-7.3-7.3-7.9

karlsmiley
Level 7
hello lismail any update on your machine after clean install?? I want to do a clean install too

hey karlsmiley Its great! The main reason I did a clean install was for my ssd that I installed. I highly recommend an ssd if you dont have one.
G74SX-DH73-3D
<---------------->
WEI->7.6-7.9-7.3-7.3-7.9