cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't force shutdown. Computer frozen on installing windows update.

MeteoricDragon
Level 7
I have windows 8.1 on my G75. I selected "update and shutdown" and 5 hours later it's still installing update 6 of 13. I tried to force shutdown by holding power button but my computer just goes into sleep mode, and waking the computer back up brings it to the same installing updates screen. How do i unfreeze it?
2 REPLIES 2

Clintlgm
Level 14
I. Change your power setting for the power button to turn off the computer it appear that that setting is currently set to put the computer to sleep?
1. Check out this thread in the windows eight forum, your having a windows update issue. Also make sure your power button and Start button Shut down are configured to fully turn your computer off! and not just go into the default Hybrid Shut down! If your not using Classic Shell I would highly recommend it. You get a normal start menu and easily configure
shut down for problems jus like you are having. Windows eight forum is where you will solve windows problems.
I have had the same issue on other computers the hangs for me were after the reboot starts and you get the blue screen that says not to turn off your computer window is conviguring your computer. After a hour of so I jusrt force a shut dowh. and the updates seem to be install with out issue.

You seem to be having a issue with a particular update once you get restarted try the updates one at a time until you find the one that is causing the issue. There are several threads on different updates that are causing multiple issues for people.

Last resort unplug your notebook and remove your battery that will shut it down. Hopefully you'll be able to start upback into windows and resolve your issue. If not you can download an Win 8.1.1 ISO from Microsoft here for a clean install of Win 8.1.1.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
MeteoricDragon wrote:
I have windows 8.1 on my G75. I selected "update and shutdown" and 5 hours later it's still installing update 6 of 13. I tried to force shutdown by holding power button but my computer just goes into sleep mode, and waking the computer back up brings it to the same installing updates screen. How do i unfreeze it?

If the computer goes to sleep when you hold the power button, just continue holding it and it should shutdown in a few more seconds.

Otherwise, since you have a removable battery, just unplug the adapter and remove the battery as Clintlgm suggested if it's really necessary, but holding the power button longer should work as well if you want to try it.