cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows boot up hangs with fault codes fd, 61, system is running stock settings

AquaRelliux
Level 8
Hello ROG forums

This is my first post here, I just completed my new system but I am having serious issues with it that I am unable to resolve. The problem is there no matter what bios settings I set. Default, XMP or OC it, Sometimes it succesfully boots into Windows and then it is stable for hours even days of stress testing, gaming etc.
But sometimes I would say 30% chance on each reboot Windows fails to load, it hangs on the Windows logo and it freezes, this even happend the first time I was going to install the computer from a USB drive, it hang on the Windows logo. This tells me the problem is not related to the SSD since it happends on all boot iamges on USB sticks I have tried.
It always hangs with fault codes fd or 61. I tried increasing the SA voltage but this makes no difference at all. I have tried numrous bios settings but nothing helps. I am really considering switching this board for another manufacturer because they are not boot problems atleast.
Currently I am running the latest bios and I going to try update to the new 9XX version tonight. Does anyone have any idea why this happends? I seem to not be to only one but I have tried all solutions in other threads and they do not work so I am lost here.

Hardware:

5960X@stock speed
Ramapge V Extreme bios 8XX
G.Skill 3000mhz DDR4 Ripjawz
3x GTX Asus Titan(Extra molex power is connected)
Asus Essence STX soundcard
Corsair AX1500i
2x Samsung 840 pro 256GB Raid0
1x Samsung 840 evo 500GB
Corsair K95 RGB keyboard
Logitech G700 mouse

I am really frustrated with this and I need help. Any help is much appriciated

//Aqua
32 REPLIES 32

Avenger411
Level 10
Hey

Check the code definition in your manual. This might help seizing the problem! I am not at home right now so i'm not 100% sure but you could try re-seating your ram or try using only one dimm see if that helps. But like i said not 100% as i do not have the manual with me.

Thanks

Max
Cpu : Intel 5930K@4.25ghz@1.2v / Cache @4.25ghz@1.20v
Cpu Cooler : Corsair H100i
Case : Corsair 780T
Memory : G.Skills 32GB DDR4-3200mhz CAS 15-15-15-35-1T@1.370v
Motherboard : Asus Rampage V Extreme (BIOS 3504)
M2 : Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512gb (Gaming)
M2 : SSD1 : OCZ RD400A 128gb (windows)
SSD1 : Crucial MX100 512gb (data)
Gfx : EVGA Titan X w/ 980 Hybrid Cooling AiO Liquid Cooler
PSU : Antec HCP-1000W
Monitor : Asus RoG Swift

Chino
Level 15

AquaRelliux
Level 8
Yes I reinstalled it 2 times it did not resolve the problem. What I mean with boot images is that when I create a installation image on a bootable USB, it experiences exactly the same boot up issues as the installed OS. Sometimes it hangs on the windows boot logo(This is even before the OS is installed first boot to install it from the USB), it happens exactly the same on USB stick or SSD drives hangs with fault codes fd or 61. This makes me believe it is not software or driver related, it is some hardware failure or might be some hardware causing it to not boot up.

This guy has the exact same problem as me:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52490-Q-Code-Ad/page3

I have tried his suggestions but nothing of that works...

AquaRelliux wrote:
Yes I reinstalled it 2 times it did not resolve the problem. What I mean with boot images is that when I create a installation image on a bootable USB, it experiences exactly the same boot up issues as the installed OS. Sometimes it hangs on the windows boot logo(This is even before the OS is installed first boot to install it from the USB), it happens exactly the same on USB stick or SSD drives hangs with fault codes fd or 61. This makes me believe it is not software or driver related, it is some hardware failure or might be some hardware causing it to not boot up.

This guy has the exact same problem as me:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52490-Q-Code-Ad/page3

I have tried his suggestions but nothing of that works...

I think my problem was different. I was going to give this a couple days more, but since changing my SAV from auto to 0.100, I have had no more Ad or 61 Q codes. The other reason I waited to report this is that I flashed bios 0901 as well and used my overclock settings from 0802 which is not recommended. Seems to be working in my situation though.

I think the 2 problems are similar but not exactly the same. My CPU is overclocked to 4.3 which is why I think I had my problem. Praz, Chino, Jacks, and LiveOrDie were correct with the small bump in the SAV to address my issue. I wonder if your 3000 memory is not the problem. There's a 3000 memory setup guide in Chino sig, or here:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53306-DDR4-3000-Setup-Guide-For-Rampage-V-Extreme

It is not my OS since I have had no issue since increasing the SAV on 11/30. No issues in day to day use either. Hope this helps. Not sure if it will be helpful in your situation.
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Perhaps test your memory as well with memtest?
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

AquaRelliux
Level 8
I have run memtest on my memory and I did a 800% coverage and it resulted in 0 errors, as I said when it boots it is stable for sevral hours/days without problems.

AquaRelliux wrote:
I have run memtest on my memory and I did a 800% coverage and it resulted in 0 errors, as I said when it boots it is stable for sevral hours/days without problems.

Hey!

1rst --- Did you re-seat so you're sure it is properly installed ? also ,( i have had this problem too), not having the right setting for S.Agent can bring a plethora of codes. When my S.agent wasn't tuned i had codes like 6f-79-55-bd etc etc always popping. Ever since finding the right spot, haven't had a SINGLE problem. And i'd like to point out just like you, before i fine tuned my S.agent, when it would boot into windows, i would get 0 errors on memory over 1300% coverage and a sh*tload of test with realbench. So you might want to try it out 😄

2nd --- Could you use your cd-rom to install windows (just for the sake of it)
3rd --- Could the original image file of your windows be corrupted hence whatever devide you're using to install is freezing ?
4th --- using only one dimm could help just to test.. (swapping your memories could also be beneficial)

thanks

Max

Avenger411 wrote:
Hey!

1rst --- Did you re-seat so you're sure it is properly installed ? also ,( i have had this problem too), not having the right setting for S.Agent can bring a plethora of codes. When my S.agent wasn't tuned i had codes like 6f-79-55-bd etc etc always popping. Ever since finding the right spot, haven't had a SINGLE problem. And i'd like to point out just like you, before i fine tuned my S.agent, when it would boot into windows, i would get 0 errors on memory over 1300% coverage and a sh*tload of test with realbench. So you might want to try it out 😄

2nd --- Could you use your cd-rom to install windows (just for the sake of it)
3rd --- Could the original image file of your windows be corrupted hence whatever devide you're using to install is freezing ?
4th --- using only one dimm could help just to test.. (swapping your memories could also be beneficial)

thanks

Max

I have tried not tried it on a CD-rom but the boot image is installed it with is different and downloaded from different times. It works on my laptop without any issues. And as I said I reinstalled the OS twice. What SA voltage do you use? I might aswell try with the same as you use since I have almost identical hardware.

AquaRelliux wrote:
I have tried not tried it on a CD-rom but the boot image is installed it with is different and downloaded from different times. It works on my laptop without any issues. And as I said I reinstalled the OS twice. What SA voltage do you use? I might aswell try with the same as you use since I have almost identical hardware.

Hey!

keep in mind that every cpu is different but i'll give you my settings.

Vcore : 1.2v
S.agent : 1.0v
Cache Voltage : 1.2v
Overclocking profile : Manual (no xmp and no auto)
Ram voltage : 1.35v
BLK : 125mhz
Ram : @3000mhz cas15 (stock timings from G.skills)

but as i said this doesn't mean it'll work on your setup but it's free to try 😄

AquaRelliux wrote:
The problem is that it occurs so randomly so it is hard to know when I have settings that work. I tried +0.100 before, that did not work. I then tried +0.110 that worked for several days then it started failing again. I then tried +0.120 same results. So I am not sure if what I am doing is fixing this. The frustrating part is that the board runs completely stock! AUTO settings should work with the XMP profile!!! Also the XMP profile suggests running the CPU on the 125mhz strap I guess that is ok? It is still 3500mhz stock speed with x28 mutiplier.

EDIT #1 : Forgot to mention that i'm using full manual mode for voltages. And whatever i did not mention, i left it on auto!. My board and cpu for some reason didn't like offsets... Also if you want to rule out S.agent, you could try disabling any fast boot options (including the ones in dram settings). Fast booting can hide the S.agent problem if you haven't found your sweet spot yet. Disabling it will give you the chance to fine tune it and be SURE that the correct amount of voltage is given (if you haven't found it yet, codes like Bd, 55 will pop on the Q-code).

thanks

Max